something i just heard on sirus nfl radio

falconcj21

he was talking about elway and montana but he made a great point. How come ryan always takes a knee when he knows he got the d to jump offsides instead of taking a shot deep? i remember that was the norm to throw it deep and see what happens its a free play. Nothing bad can happen and we take a shot down field to keep them honest.what are your thiughts to why he's not told to do that?

my theory which is worth absolutely nothing:

the ball is snapped as soon as the player jumps offsides, not on the normal snapcount therefore the rest of the offense would not be ready.

This is correct. It's not a difficult concept. I have no idea why so many people are missing this. He doesn't give up the chance of taking a free shot down the field. They snap the ball early before the defender can have a chance to get back across the line of scrimmage.

What if Matt takes the shot down field and the pass is intercepted and the refs rule that it was a illegal procedure or doesn't even call the offsides (it's happened before). Then a missed offsides call could be a disaster.

My feeling is that if the score is close, take the knee and protect the ball. However, if we're trailing by 2TDs or more, take the shot.

Im guessing maybe they had a run play called. Or maybe the center snapped it to him to get the call. Or maybe the critical 5 yard penalty was enough to sustain the drive and not risk some crazy shot down field resulting in an injury. The dude gets paid! He's young, but I'm sure he knows how to handle a situation and I'm sure theres a reason he did that. Not always does he down it like that but I have seen it a few times. If it gets us the first down Im happy! Yeah?

What if Matt takes the shot down field and the pass is intercepted and the refs rule that it was a illegal procedure or doesn't even call the offsides (it's happened before). Then a missed offsides call could be a disaster.

My feeling is that if the score is close, take the knee and protect the ball. However, if we're trailing by 2TDs or more, take the shot.

I agree with this completely!

Maybe he is playing it safe. Better to take a knee and get or lose 5 yards than to assume that it was an offside penalty and get picked off.

An interception can happen on any pass attempt. Matt needs to avoid making poor decisions like throwing into triple coverage over the middle when players are wide open on the outside. He also has been routinely staring down Tony G .

Im more concerned about those poor decisions than the risk of a possible interception on a missed offsides call.

If a QB needs to take a knee on a possible free play because he may make a mistake he probably is not a very good QB.

Edited by insight

Now this is just from memory, but Matt only goes down to one knee when a defensive player not only is offsides but touches or goes through the offensive line while the linemen are still set.

Matt always goes for the free play whenever the lineman jumps back out of the neutral zone. There have been a few plays where i'm almost positive Ryan thought it was a free play but no flag was thrown.

I've seen matt take a knee maybe 10 times his whole career so he's taking the free play more often than not.

I just wish he'd throw downfield on those plays instead of the normal 10-15 yard pass.