Comments on the Washington Game

whitekb011

Before I get into the unit analysis, I want recognize that Washington's Defense is a good unit and that their offensive line is not so good. With that in mind, here we go. Also, I re-watched the game 3 times and did some slow motion to see some things that I found interesting, mainly concentrated on the Oline and Dline.

Offensive Line: First, I don't know if Baker's injury was a factor, but he was the last one off the ball and was getting beat to the outside before he left the game. In general, the left side of our offensive line allowed the pressure, specifically when Haynesworth did a twist, Svitek and Blaylock did not do a good job picking that up. Again, they were going against one of the better lines in the NFL. With that said, Svitek made a great block on Turners first tuchdown and in general did a very good job run blocking. The right side of the line, in my opinion, played their best game, along with McClure to date. I even noticed on Turners first TD run, McClure had Haynesworth one-on-one and sealed him inside. Dahl was the first OL off the ball all night, followed by Blaylock, then Clabo... Baker a little slow off the ball.n Dahl also made a great block 20 yards down field on Turners 58 yarder.

Quarterback: Ryan, he just seems ansi. On his interception, it was I think 1st and 15. He had two check downs 7 yards down field with space to get 10 yards. He chose to throw into triple coverage. This is becoming a consistent pattern and he is forcing the ball. It was nice to see him throw to Turner a couple of times. The CB for washington did a good job so there really wasn't alot of options for him.

Running Backs: Turner, don't need to say anything about him, but he is running with urgency, and I really like that we are running the strectch play more. In fact, on his 58 yarder, we ran that play back to back. Ovie, made a huge difference and he also caught the ball nicely one time. Stecker, limited action, but got the shuffle pass on I believe a 2nd and long (possible more than 10 yards) and got a first down. Turner is very good at helping in pass protection.

Wide Receivers: Roddy White made a very good block on Turner's first touch down sealing the inside I think it was Number 99 or 98 for Washington. Also, on that run, Jenkins provided just enough of a "get-in-the-way" type of play shielding the defender from turner and allowed turner to get in the endzone. On his second Turners second TD, he also had a great block down field. Not much to discuss about their pass receiving, because it just wasn't there this game, but outside of roddy dropping a low ball on the side lines, I really can't recall any drops, specifically from jenkins.

Tightends: Justin Peel was a beast blocking. He sealed the outside very well and was very strong at the POA. Gonzo, not so much, but not bad too.

Defensive Line: On the first play of the game, Jamal Anderson put the RG on his butt in a one-on-one match up and then climbed over the RG and hit portis and held on for the tackle. Also, Jamal Anderson was consistently, along with Babs, first off the snap. He is really starting to improve. Babs = Beast, nothing more to say. JA55, was very slow off the ball, but provided good pressure against less than average competition. I know he is banged up, but he needs to show that burst again. Vance Walker, is very quick off the ball. He also played the screen well. He got blocked a couple of times, but he is quick, and like most of our players has a great motor. Trey Lewis, he got doubled quite a bit when he was in, but I only say a couple of times when he got pushed back. He too is quick off the ball and is very stout at the POA. Beerman, out side of the sack, didn't really notice him-More on him in the Special Teams Section.

Linebackers: Peterson was not always in position and Lofton didn't have a great game, but I'm comparing it to the rest of his season. He is still such a great player to watch play the MLB position and he is one tough person. Nicholas, it's really hard to judge him because he is out when we go to 5 DBs. Didn't see anything great, but didn't see anything eye-popping.

Defensive Backs: Tye Hill was in the right position on the interception. Because of our Pass rush, there were not a lot of balls thrown to the outside so hard to evaluate him, but I do like his speed and ball skills, something we really need. Crisp, turned his head, not once, but twice. I also think this was the first game he didn't get a PI call. He also defended the bubble screen in the first half really well. Eric Coleman had his best game, solid in run support and on the Interception, he got a key block, along with lofton to spring hill. DeCoud. This guy is reminding me more and more of Ed Reed. Only I think he has a little more physicality to him then Reed.

Special Teams: Beerman is an absolute beast. He is always down there first and makes the play, even without his helmet on. Great guy. Can we get an cheer for Elam, made a 41 yarder and didn't miss any PATs. Eric Weems is like Timex, takes a licken and keeps on ticken. Very solid in the KR and PR duties. Though I would like to see a little more burst through the hole, but he just may not have the gear.

It's going to be interesting to see how we hold up against the Carolina OLine. That will be a challenge. But hey, at least we don't get a team coming off a bye this week. That's next week, on the road, in NY.

Hope you all enjoyed your Veterans Day, for all you Vets (Me, did 9 years), thank you for your service, dedication, and love for our country.

KB

Before I get into the unit analysis, I want recognize that Washington's Defense is a good unit and that their offensive line is not so good. With that in mind, here we go. Also, I re-watched the game 3 times and did some slow motion to see some things that I found interesting, mainly concentrated on the Oline and Dline.

Offensive Line: First, I don't know if Baker's injury was a factor, but he was the last one off the ball and was getting beat to the outside before he left the game. In general, the left side of our offensive line allowed the pressure, specifically when Haynesworth did a twist, Svitek and Blaylock did not do a good job picking that up. Again, they were going against one of the better lines in the NFL. With that said, Svitek made a great block on Turners first tuchdown and in general did a very good job run blocking. The right side of the line, in my opinion, played their best game, along with McClure to date. I even noticed on Turners first TD run, McClure had Haynesworth one-on-one and sealed him inside. Dahl was the first OL off the ball all night, followed by Blaylock, then Clabo... Baker a little slow off the ball.n Dahl also made a great block 20 yards down field on Turners 58 yarder.

Quarterback: Ryan, he just seems ansi. On his interception, it was I think 1st and 15. He had two check downs 7 yards down field with space to get 10 yards. He chose to throw into triple coverage. This is becoming a consistent pattern and he is forcing the ball. It was nice to see him throw to Turner a couple of times. The CB for washington did a good job so there really wasn't alot of options for him.

Running Backs: Turner, don't need to say anything about him, but he is running with urgency, and I really like that we are running the strectch play more. In fact, on his 58 yarder, we ran that play back to back. Ovie, made a huge difference and he also caught the ball nicely one time. Stecker, limited action, but got the shuffle pass on I believe a 2nd and long (possible more than 10 yards) and got a first down. Turner is very good at helping in pass protection.

Wide Receivers: Roddy White made a very good block on Turner's first touch down sealing the inside I think it was Number 99 or 98 for Washington. Also, on that run, Jenkins provided just enough of a "get-in-the-way" type of play shielding the defender from turner and allowed turner to get in the endzone. On his second Turners second TD, he also had a great block down field. Not much to discuss about their pass receiving, because it just wasn't there this game, but outside of roddy dropping a low ball on the side lines, I really can't recall any drops, specifically from jenkins.

Tightends: Justin Peel was a beast blocking. He sealed the outside very well and was very strong at the POA. Gonzo, not so much, but not bad too.

Defensive Line: On the first play of the game, Jamal Anderson put the RG on his butt in a one-on-one match up and then climbed over the RG and hit portis and held on for the tackle. Also, Jamal Anderson was consistently, along with Babs, first off the snap. He is really starting to improve. Babs = Beast, nothing more to say. JA55, was very slow off the ball, but provided good pressure against less than average competition. I know he is banged up, but he needs to show that burst again. Vance Walker, is very quick off the ball. He also played the screen well. He got blocked a couple of times, but he is quick, and like most of our players has a great motor. Trey Lewis, he got doubled quite a bit when he was in, but I only say a couple of times when he got pushed back. He too is quick off the ball and is very stout at the POA. Beerman, out side of the sack, didn't really notice him-More on him in the Special Teams Section.

Linebackers: Peterson was not always in position and Lofton didn't have a great game, but I'm comparing it to the rest of his season. He is still such a great player to watch play the MLB position and he is one tough person. Nicholas, it's really hard to judge him because he is out when we go to 5 DBs. Didn't see anything great, but didn't see anything eye-popping.

Defensive Backs: Tye Hill was in the right position on the interception. Because of our Pass rush, there were not a lot of balls thrown to the outside so hard to evaluate him, but I do like his speed and ball skills, something we really need. Crisp, turned his head, not once, but twice. I also think this was the first game he didn't get a PI call. He also defended the bubble screen in the first half really well. Eric Coleman had his best game, solid in run support and on the Interception, he got a key block, along with lofton to spring hill. DeCoud. This guy is reminding me more and more of Ed Reed. Only I think he has a little more physicality to him then Reed.

Special Teams: Beerman is an absolute beast. He is always down there first and makes the play, even without his helmet on. Great guy. Can we get an cheer for Elam, made a 41 yarder and didn't miss any PATs. Eric Weems is like Timex, takes a licken and keeps on ticken. Very solid in the KR and PR duties. Though I would like to see a little more burst through the hole, but he just may not have the gear.

It's going to be interesting to see how we hold up against the Carolina OLine. That will be a challenge. But hey, at least we don't get a team coming off a bye this week. That's next week, on the road, in NY.

Hope you all enjoyed your Veterans Day, for all you Vets (Me, did 9 years), thank you for your service, dedication, and love for our country.

KB

great observations overall especially, on our QB.....he seriously needs to bring his A game in second half of the season....& I doubt NO little!

Thank you for your services...you make us proud!

Happy Veterans Day!

Thanks, this is a good analysis of the game.

I am started to feel really good about our defense and I think they are going to continue to step it up. Houston is definitely playing better and Tye Hill looks really good. I was concerned with both of them until recently, but I like what I'm seeing now and I think they will continue to get better.

I also thought Chevis Jackson looked like he is improving. What did you think of Chevis?

I asked you about Walker in another thread and was wondering how you thought he looked compared to Lewis. I'm thinking that with Johnson coming back this week that Walker will be inactive, but I think he is pushing to take Lewis' spot.

Thanks, this is a good analysis of the game.

I am started to feel really good about our defense and I think they are going to continue to step it up. Houston is definitely playing better and Tye Hill looks really good. I was concerned with both of them until recently, but I like what I'm seeing now and I think they will continue to get better.

I also thought Chevis Jackson looked like he is improving. What did you think of Chevis?

I asked you about Walker in another thread and was wondering how you thought he looked compared to Lewis. I'm thinking that with Johnson coming back this week that Walker will be inactive, but I think he is pushing to take Lewis' spot.

Chevis did play a lot better:

Walker, quicker off the ball, faster down the line. Lewis got double teamed a lot, but he holds the POA better than walker. I actually believe our DT rotation is very solid now. WIth Johnson coming back we are good at DT. Walker didn't have as many snaps as lewis did. I believe lewis will be very good NT, but with Walker's quickness off the ball, he might be a good back up for the UT position. Lewis is very strong and even on double teams, did a very good job. He is loosing his balance some, but other than that, he is solid. I like lewis and believe he has more upside. He is still in the process of coming out of those injuries.

I had a question about the interception - maybe someone can fill me in.

They have been so sticky on the subject of maintaining control throughout the play when catching and falling. I assume this means for both receivers and defenders.

He dropped the ball - it was totally out of his hands - then picked it up - ran with it and the ball was spotted at the end of his run.

Shouldn't that have been incomplete since he did not maintain control - even though he immediately picked it back up?

I'm not sure because no one was around to touch him - so was it considered a fumble which he recovered then advanced - or should it have been a no-catch because he didn't maintain possession?

The point is - he made no football moves before losing it and picking it back up.

They have been so sticky on the subject of maintaining control throughout the play when catching and falling. I assume this means for both receivers and defenders.

He dropped the ball - it was totally out of his hands - then picked it up - ran with it and the ball was spotted at the end of his run.

Shouldn't that have been incomplete since he did not maintain control - even though he immediately picked it back up?

I'm not sure because no one was around to touch him - so was it considered a fumble which he recovered then advanced - or should it have been a no-catch because he didn't maintain possession?

The point is - he made no football moves before losing it and picking it back up.

I will re-watch and get back with you.

Watched it again and he had control, took a couple of steps, dropped the ball, then picked it back up. Rulling was an Interception, then Fumble. Looked like the right call.

Watched it again and he had control, took a couple of steps, dropped the ball, then picked it back up. Rulling was an Interception, then Fumble. Looked like the right call.

Actually he never took any steps - he rolled over - dropped the ball - picked it up and ran.

Either way - the play is over - I was just trying to understand it.

You can watch the play here:

My link

Actually he never took any steps - he rolled over - dropped the ball - picked it up and ran.

Either way - the play is over - I was just trying to understand it.

You can watch the play here:

My link

You are correct, his foot hit the ground, second foot hit the ground about the same time or just before his upper body hit the ground. I didn't agree with the call, too and was more concerned why ryan through it there. After re-watching, again, my understanding of the rules is that he most maintain posession through the play. Believe that was a bad call.

Also, I can't find the 2009 Rule book to look at what constitutes a catch.

Edited by whitekb011

You are correct, his foot hit the ground, second foot hit the ground about the same time or just before his upper body hit the ground. I didn't agree with the call, too and was more concerned why ryan through it there. After re-watching, again, my understanding of the rules is that he most maintain posession through the play. Believe that was a bad call.

Also, I can't find the 2009 Rule book to look at what constitutes a catch.

I'll look for it. I really get confused on those calls because there doesn't seem to be any consistency - even in the same game. Example - the Miami game - there must have been 2 or 3 times during that game that a very similar play was called differently.

Maybe reading the rules will help us both understand it. I'll see if I can find them.

Oh - and I agree about the throw - bad throw - bad timing.

I'll look for it. I really get confused on those calls because there doesn't seem to be any consistency - even in the same game. Example - the Miami game - there must have been 2 or 3 times during that game that a very similar play was called differently.

Maybe reading the rules will help us both understand it. I'll see if I can find them.

Oh - and I agree about the throw - bad throw - bad timing.

Smith also didn't throw the challenge flag on that. I also have been searching on-line for the 2009 Rule book, but can't find it unless you purchase it...

Edited by whitekb011

I found the section:

Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3

Player Going to the Ground. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete."

Anyway - it looks like it should have been no interception - but like you said - the flag wasn't thrown and the way these refs call some of these - who knows if it would have been overturned anyway.

I just wanted some clarification of what I thought I saw, that's all.

I found the section:

Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3

Player Going to the Ground. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete."

Anyway - it looks like it should have been no interception - but like you said - the flag wasn't thrown and the way these refs call some of these - who knows if it would have been overturned anyway.

I just wanted some clarification of what I thought I saw, that's all.

Where did you get the rule book from, can I get access to it? thanks for the rule...

Where did you get the rule book from, can I get access to it? thanks for the rule...

I googled and found bits and pieces until I could find the right section - then googled the section and got it.

Like you - I saw the ones for sale - and I'm considering buying one - just for fun.

I googled and found bits and pieces until I could find the right section - then googled the section and got it.

Like you - I saw the ones for sale - and I'm considering buying one - just for fun.

I just re- watched it again and the only thing I can think of is he landed on his back and rolled over like he was getting up, a la after the catch, and then dropped the ball. You know, this would be a good segment for the VP of Officiating to review on NFL Total Access... I don't get it. And like you said, there is no consistency on this rule. I think Gruden even said during the first monday night pre-season game, that he didn't know what was a catch or not...