NFL QB Power Rankings

PHATRYAN

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-Week-9-NFL-Quarterback-Power-Rankings-Brady;_ylt=AmLTdtiv765s3aFD_m9p4WZDubYF?urn=nfl,201421

1. Drew Brees(notes), New Orleans Saints

The Saints are turning scoring in the NFL into something more golf-like, where certain teams have handicaps. Against the Dolphins, Falcons and now Panthers, the Saints have given them a bunch of strokes on the front nine, and then Drew Brees just squashes them on the back nine. Brees also retook the lead in 2009 quarterback rating this week, at 106.1.

2. Peyton Manning(notes), Indianapolis Colts

Manning threw the ball 40 times in the first half against the Texans. Not that that stat makes him a great quarterback, but it does illustrate pretty well just how much the Colts are leaning on him. Earlier in the season, Brees and Manning were clearly numbers one and two here, leaving everyone else to fight for third and beyond. Now, though, we're at a point where the one-two combo could be broken up at any minute.

3. Ben Roethlisberger(notes), Pittsburgh Steelers

The Steelers were pretty convincing in the second half last night, weren't they? They didn't leave much doubt about who was the better team on that field. What you saw in the second half was legitimate knockout power. Even if a fight isn't going their way, Ben Roethlisberger and the receiving corps still give them the ability reach out and turn your lights off at any moment.

4. Brett Favre(notes), Minnesota Vikings

Favre had a week off, so he'll sit quietly here in the four spot. There are two things I'll say while we're here, though. First, you know the traditional second-half meltdown from Brett Favre, where he turns into a Juggs machine that can only throw to the other team? That's not coming this year. Secondly, Brett Favre is exactly one-tenth of a point behind Drew Brees in quarterback rating. In fact, the top five guys (Brees, Favre, Peyton, Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers(notes)) are separated by less than three points.

5. Tom Brady(notes), New England Patriots

Handsome Tom makes a big jump this week, not necessarily based on his 25-of-37, 332-yard performance against the Dolphins, but because his level of play over the last few weeks has so good. It was really only a matter of time before Brady pushed back into the top five; I just wanted to see him string a few good weeks together. He's very close to being vintage Tom Brady.

6. Matt Schaub(notes), Houston Texans

It wasn't the finest of weeks for Matt Schaub, and I should probably deduct more points because it was a week where the Texans really needed him. Still, he leads the league in yards passing and touchdown passes (tied with Brees with 17), so you can't move a guy like that too far down the list.

7. Philip Rivers(notes), San Diego Chargers

Rivers threw a pair of interceptions on Sunday, and I was afraid I was going to have to move him down. That last drive, though, salvaged the week, to say the least. I know the Giants secondary isn't the most fearsome unit ever assembled, but still, that's on the road, on the other side of the country, in a hostile environment against a desperate team.

8. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers

Okay, maybe I got a little carried away with Aaron Rodgers at number three last week. Eight is probably a little low for him, too, but there's got to be some kind of a punishment when you throw three interceptions to the Bucs, and even worse, take six sacks. Rodgers is on pace to be sacked 74 times this season. Maybe his offensive line isn't great, but for all the great things Rodgers can do, no one gets sacked that much if they have any kind of pocket awareness and know when to get rid of the ball.

9. Carson Palmer(notes), Cincinnati Bengals

Sort of like Tom Brady, I feel like Carson Palmer's finally rounding back into his true form, too. His stats from Sunday's game against Baltimore don't really do his performance justice. Cincinnati won that game in part because they had an effective all-around offense, and Baltimore didn't. That starts with the quarterback.

10. Tony Romo(notes), Dallas Cowboys

Romo wasn't spectacular on Sunday night against Philadelphia, but he did enough to keep himself in the top ten here. Any time you go on the road and win (against a non-Washington-based team) in the NFC East, you've accomplished something.

Noses pressed against the glass:

Kurt Warner(notes), Arizona Cardinals

Eli Manning(notes), New York Giants

Jay Cutler(notes), Chicago Bears

Joe Flacco(notes), Baltimore Ravens

Donovan McNabb(notes), Philadelphia Eagles

Kyle Orton(notes), Denver Broncos

How great would it be to one day have an elite QB leading our Falcons?

So your suggesting that becuse I am not a fan of the HC or the QB that I'm not a fan of the team?

Because I offer a different view of our team, one that doesn't go along with everyone else on here I'm not a fan?

Interesting, I understand differnet POV are hard to swallow sometimes but come on, this isn't a fairy tale here.

Yeah, you are totally right. Maybe we should draft one early and let him develop for a few years. I wonder if there is any way to get a QB who is capable of going 11-5 his rookie year and winning ROY, then going 5-3 in the first half of his 2nd year despite the hardest schedule in the NFL... Oh, wait? If he doesn't lead the league in stats, then I don't want him.

So your suggesting that becuse I am not a fan of the HC or the QB that I'm not a fan of the team?

Because I offer a different view of our team, one that doesn't go along with everyone else on here I'm not a fan?

Interesting, I understand differnet POV are hard to swallow sometimes but come on, this isn't a fairy tale here.

So you're suggesting that your severe dislike of the QB and HC should be somehow viewed as true fanhood? Wow... Tool!

Yeah, you are totally right. Maybe we should draft one early and let him develop for a few years. I wonder if there is any way to get a QB who is capable of going 11-5 his rookie year and winning ROY, then going 5-3 in the first half of his 2nd year despite the hardest schedule in the NFL... Oh, wait? If he doesn't lead the league in stats, then I don't want him.

I think TD should take a hard look after this year and possibly take a QB with a high pick.

We didn't have the hardest schedule, that is something the Ryan apologists love to throw out to make themself feel better about our average QB.

Wow What a list...

8. Aaron Rogers... TB Upset this top QB

Mind you though, their O-Line is far worse at pass-blocking than our O-Line (been sacked 37x half way through season, Ryan has been sacked 12x). Rodger's stats though are still very impressive. 16 TDs and 5 INTs is very good.

The players in the list, in no particular order, are better than Ryan. Though it's pretty annoying that they didn't even mention Ryan close to the top-10. He's definitely a top-16 QB and could become a top-8 by 2011. That's just his 3rd year in the league.

Phat, you don't exactly strike me as being a Falcon lover. More like a Tampa fan who has a strange obsession with the Falcons.

Wow.... I guess this is a compliment to Ryan that some of us are comparing this 2nd year QB to future hall of famers as well as the best QBs in the league.

The funny thing is that one of the QB's on the list had a game where he threw 4 picks and had 2 fumbles in one game and it was in his 4th year.

The same QB also had a game later in his career where he threw 6 picks.

Can anyone guess who this is?

I think TD should take a hard look after this year and possibly take a QB with a high pick.

We didn't have the hardest schedule, that is something the Ryan apologists love to throw out to make themself feel better about our average QB.

I've done my best not to engage you in your idiotic ramblings but come on...really...are you serious? We have what many consider to be the brightest future at QB, and you want to do nothing but tear him down. My guess would be due to the fact that he doesn't have a 7 on his back, or a penchant for torture.

We have a HC who led us to an 11-5/Playoff berth in his first year, and due to the fact that he didn't run and tuck his tail between his legs when Meangelo meandered onto our sideline, far far away from Landry and the late hit, you want to lambast him. What is your problem?

People like you, would be mad if we were 7-1, with Brady under center and Belicheck on the sideline...in other words, there's no happiness for you. I'll bet you don't even own any bright colors in your closet. There's a cloud wherever you go...right over your head.

Get a grip...for the love of God!!! Oh and I think the last tally by the NFL was that our schedule ranked 4th most difficult, and with our 'average' (your words, genius) QB under center, we've found a way to win, all but 3 of the first 8 out of that.