College Basketball Early National Signing day starts tomorrow.

SacFalcFan

It's official Cady Lelanne signs his LOI:

The University of Georgia officially welcomed their first signee of the 2010 class into its program this morning. Orlando (Fl.) Oak Ridge power forward Cady Lalanne signed his National Letter of Intent early this morning officially making him a Georgia Bulldog. Lalanne verbally committed a few weeks ago after deciding between Georgia, Ole Miss and VCU.

There were a few factors that originally sparked Lalanne's interest in the Bulldogs and eventually led to him committing to Georgia coach Mark Fox.

"Coach Fox was the main reason I always liked UGA. I liked the way he develops players and I also liked the players on the team too. It's also close to home," said the Rivals150 forward.

Coach Fox and his staff hosted Lalanne on an official visit back in late September. Lalanne enjoyed his time around the coaching staff on his visit but also began to establish some friendships with his future teammates that helped make his decision easier in the end. Lalanne has kept in touch with a few current members of the UGA basketball team.

"Ever since the visit, I have been talking to them all the time," Lalanne revealed. "I talk to Connor [Nolte], Trey [Thompkins], and Ebuka [Anyaorah]. They told me they were happy I signed with them."

While on his official visit, Lalanne also had the chance to see how skills currently match up with his future teammates on the court. He matched up with the Bulldogs returning leading scorer and rebounder Trey Thompkins and held his own for the most part, except for one forgetful play.

"Yeah, I went against Trey. It went pretty good. He got lucky and got a little dunk though," Lalanne admitted jokingly.

The UGA coaching staff apparently thinks pretty highly of Lalanne as a basketball player. While nothing is guaranteed, the coaches have told Lalanne that playing time is available if he works for it.

"As a freshman, they told me it just depends on my work ethic when I come in. They told me they need an impact freshman at my position," said the athletic forward.

Another factor in how quickly Lalanne gets playing time in Athens will be his ability to adjust to Georgia coach Mark Fox's complex triangle offense. The triangle offense is a good fit for post players who are versatile enough to step out and hit jump-shots from the perimeter and also handle the ball occasionally. Coach Fox told Lalanne all about the triangle offense and how his skill-set would be a perfect fit.

"He told me how he is going to run a triangle offense. He said having me I could stretch out defenses and step out and shoot or play with my back to the basket," Lalanne said. "It caught my attention a lot because the triangle offense is like a high-low offense and the bigs can step out."

The Georgia coaching staff began making Cady Lalanne a priority during the summer but their interest in signing him continued into the start of the school year. Lalanne was such a big priority to Coach Fox that he and Coach (Stacey) Palmore both made several visits down to Orlando to see Lalanne during the fall, according to Oak Ridge High School coach Derrick Heard.

"They came down once for the in-home visit but they were down multiple times. They were really trying to let Cady know that he was important to them. I think Coach Palmore actually came down about five times and Coach Fox came down two or three times."

The coaches' hard work paid off this morning when Lalanne's recruitment officially came to an end with his signature on the National Letter of Intent. With recruiting now behind him, Lalanne is free to start preparing for the rest of his senior year in the classroom and on the hardwood. Lalanne's Oak Ridge team starts their season next week and they have one goal in mind.

"My season is about to start next Wednesday. Our team is looking really good," Lalanne said. "The goal is to win the state championship. We want to make some noise this year because Oak Ridge has been kind of quiet the last few years."

Lalanne also has some personal goals he plans to work towards before showing up in Athens next year.

"One of my goals is to be in the weight room a lot and try to put on some weight. I want to develop my ball-handling skills so I can play inside and out around the perimeter and shoot. I also want to work on my foot speed and get a lot quicker."

All Gamecock Commitments Have Signed

Written by Phil Kornblut

Posted on 11.11.09

email print reprint or license AddThis

Comments (0)

Recommend (0)

USC basketball coach Darrin Horn today signed all five player who had committed to his program. Joining the Gamecocks are 5-9 Bruce Ellington of Berkeley, 5-10 Eric Smith of Mullins but who is attending Christ School in Asheville, NC, 6-7 RJ Slawson of Fort Dorchester, 6-9 Demontre Harris of Fayetteville, NC, and 6-5 Brian Richardson of Wilson, NC. Horn said he was extremely pleased with this class and feels the group can step in next season and help offset the losses the program will suffer from the loss of five seniors after this season.

What ever happened to Wright? I know he went pro but I have heard nothing

He is injured right now. Also, he is playing under Don Nelson with the Golden State Warriors, and well Brandon Wright just doesn't fit Nelson's current system of running down the court and chucking up 3's.

The good news for all of the other schools is that Shawn Kemp has 36 other kids by 32 women so there should be plenty of talent to go around.

:lol::lol: it stinks because i thought uga could have their own shawn kemp off spring factory, but when a kid says he went to a school to play right away and Georgia will not provide that it stinks, but it is what it is.

^_^^_^^_^

I might get flamed for saying this but it's time for Coach K to step in a AD role or board role. He no longer can pull the type of Battier/Williams/Hill kid it is time to get new blood in. He had recruited this kid for 2 years and Roy comes in less than 2 months and the kid is his. That is Wall, Wright , Patterson, Boykin and Barnes. :angry:

Congrats on Barnes... Kid's a stud... Plus any bad day for the Dookies is a good day for me... :D

And with that, I'm off to Rupp Arena to watch the Cats kick-off their Final Four run... B)

Kentucky will get bumped in the sweet 16

I might get flamed for saying this but it's time for Coach K to step in a AD role or board role. He no longer can pull the type of Battier/Williams/Hill kid it is time to get new blood in. He had recruited this kid for 2 years and Roy comes in less than 2 months and the kid is his. That is Wall, Wright , Patterson, Boykin and Barnes. :angry:

UNC is killing Duke in every aspect but that doesn't stop Duke from being a top 10 program still. UNC has been the best program around since Roy Williams has been here. K definitely needs to step it up though. I think part of it is the perception that Duke players are soft (and they are)