Rumors

Atlanta_Dawgs46

Per ESPN insider...

Possible candidates to replace West

7:49AM ET

Memphis Tigers

Top Email

We're not sure who would want the Memphis job after the scathing review outgoing coach Tommy West gave the program yesterday ("Put something in[to the program] or do away with it"), but the list of candidates is a big one. That's what happens when you have the first I-A job opening of the season.

The top four candidates appear to be former Auburn coaches Tommy Tuberville and Terry Bowden; current Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn; and LSU assistant head coach Larry Porter, a former Memphis running back. All four have significant experience recruiting in the Southeast, which athletic director R.C. Johnson said would be a major factor in his hire.

To those four, Phil Stukenborg of The Commerical Appeal adds Oklahoma State co-offensive coordinator Gunter Brewer and Florida defensive coordinator Charlie Strong.

Matt Hayes of The Sporting News also offers up former Tennessee coach Phil Fulmer and current Temple coach Al Golden.

Dennis Dodd of CBSSports.com reports that former Southern Miss coach Jeff Bowers has also expressed interest in the job.

FootballScoop.com says that yet another Auburn coach, assistant head coach/receivers coach Trooper Taylor, is also on Memphis's radar. Guess if Memphis had to duplicate another program it would choose Auburn, eh?

In a tweet, however, ESPN.com's Joe Schad reports that he is hearing that Tuberville and Fulmer will not be candidates for the job.

No mention of Willie... i think its just wishful thinking haha because who in there right mind would high a D-coordinator on a team thats D has been this bad

I can see Fulmer taking that job.

I think Fulmer would be a good choice. He's definitely got the recruiting clout in the area & would probably be able to get boosters & the University involved. Do Memphis & Tennessee play every year? I think that could be a benefit that Fulmer would like, having a shot to stick it to UT every year.

I seriously doubt Tubberville, Bowden, or Charlie Strong would give it any serious consideration. They all should be looking at higher profile type jobs that might be opening.

I think Fulmer would be a good choice. He's definitely got the recruiting clout in the area & would probably be able to get boosters & the University involved. Do Memphis & Tennessee play every year? I think that could be a benefit that Fulmer would like, having a shot to stick it to UT every year.

I seriously doubt Tubberville, Bowden, or Charlie Strong would give it any serious consideration. They all should be looking at higher profile type jobs that might be opening.

Agree. If Steve Spurrier hangs up his shoes after this year, Charlie Strong goes back to USC as the HC.