Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rev_Hal

UPDATED! The OFFICIAL "I'll Help Pay Coach Smith's Fine" Thread

227 posts in this topic

I give to 20 different charities every month. One thing does not take the place of another.

Dang, What do you do for a living? :blink:

Can I get hired there?

Falcon Fans Stand Behind Coach

November 13,2009

When Falcon coach Mike Smith walked into the scrum on his teams sidelines this past weekend he knew he had his players watching his back. Today he found out he has an even larger contingent lined up to watch his wallet.

Fans of the Atlanta Falcons message board started a collection to help subsidize the fine handed down today by Commisioner Roger Goodell. While the fans were short of reaching the $25,000 penalty handed down by the NFL, the show of support for this team and its coach is something unheard of in todays professional sports.

"I want to thank the fans for a wonderful gesture" said Smith. "This goes to show everyone that our fans are clearly the best in the league."

While Smith declined to accept the money he was more than happy to direct the groups donations to his favorite charity.

The braintrust behind this movement, RevHal, was more than delighted to send the money to (Insert Charity name here). "We just wanted Coach Smith to know that we support him and his efforts. He is an inspiration to many fans and we wanted him to know that we are all behind him."

Well, this is a "what could be" type scenario. Good for the team, good for this board, good for the fans, good for a charity. Plus it sticks it to D. Hall.

Dang, What do you do for a living? blink.gif

Can I get hired there?

I give as well. I give regularly to St Jude, The Marion Center, The ACS, Boys and Girls Clubs of America, my local elementary school afterschool program for parents who can't afford daycare, United Way, CCF and a couple of others.

Doesn't mean I make a ton of money - just that I choose to give what I can to those organizations because I feel that they do such a good job.

Those contributions have nothing to do with this. It's about support and gratitude for what he's doing for our team and our City.

Falcon Fans Stand Behind Coach

November 13,2009

When Falcon coach Mike Smith walked into the scrum on his teams sidelines this past weekend he knew he had his players watching his back. Today he found out he has an even larger contingent lined up to watch his wallet.

Fans of the Atlanta Falcons message board started a collection to help subsidize the fine handed down today by Commisioner Roger Goodell. While the fans were short of reaching the $25,000 penalty handed down by the NFL, the show of support for this team and its coach is something unheard of in todays professional sports.

"I want to thank the fans for a wonderful gesture" said Smith. "This goes to show everyone that our fans are clearly the best in the league."

While Smith declined to accept the money he was more than happy to direct the groups donations to his favorite charity.

The braintrust behind this movement, RevHal, was more than delighted to send the money to (Insert Charity name here). "We just wanted Coach Smith to know that we support him and his efforts. He is an inspiration to many fans and we wanted him to know that we are all behind him."

Well, this is a "what could be" type scenario. Good for the team, good for this board, good for the fans, good for a charity. Plus it sticks it to D. Hall.

If it happens I hope they don't mention this board. The last thing we want is team members thinking this is a nice place to spend time.

I'm in as well. To make this worth while, this has to get media attention and has to be more than like $200 bucks. We need to raise over $1,000 to be significant. If nothing else it can goto a Charity or something.

Working on that too.

I give as well. I give regularly to St Jude, The Marion Center, The ACS, Boys and Girls Clubs of America, my local elementary school afterschool program for parents who can't afford daycare, United Way, CCF and a couple of others.

Doesn't mean I make a ton of money - just that I choose to give what I can to those organizations because I feel that they do such a good job.

Those contributions have nothing to do with this. It's about support and gratitude for what he's doing for our team and our City.

If I gave to 20 charities, I would be able to give very little to each :unsure:

I am not bickering with the amounts anyone is giving, or trying to start stuff on a MB. I really just want people to think about what they do with their money. All that said, I LOVE the ideas of giving some to charity. If this becomes a reality, and a charity becomes the target, I will gladly give what I can.

Here is an idea.....

Smith or the organization will not accept the money.

So....set up a paypal account and have the money go to Smith's favorite Charity if/once the team declines to accept our contribution to his fine.

A nice donation to Mikes Charity from the fans at AFMB would be a nice gesture.

Im in for $25

edit: I see poutlipper already made the suggestion of a charity.

In reality, that is what will probably happen. But for me, it is about the show of support, not the money.

I don't want to diminish this gesture, cause I think it's an interesting idea, but if the Falcons fans really want to support the team, if they really want to show the love, they could start by making some freaking noise up in the Georgia Dome. And while you are at it, stop showing up halfway through the 1st quarter and leaving halfway through the 4th quarter.

I am shocked at how succesful the Falcons are at home considering how lame the crowd is.

In reality, that is what will probably happen. But for me, it is about the show of support, not the money.

I agree. I think our fan base needs a new image more than the team lol.

IronHead34 likes this

i'll give you guys the account number, just make sure you put something over $5. Good luck.

:ph34r:

LOL! Yeah, I'm sure you already have that account number handy, huh?

Great idea, I'm in! Of course he doesn't need the money, but the support and appreciation from us fans is an awesome gesture. Plus, like falcons4life said......it will stick it to DHall, that pathetic loser.

QFT.

Most of my charities are child related including St. Jude.

I don't want to diminish this gesture, cause I think it's an interesting idea, but if the Falcons fans really want to support the team, if they really want to show the love, they could start by making some freaking noise up in the Georgia Dome. And while you are at it, stop showing up halfway through the 1st quarter and leaving halfway through the 4th quarter.

I am shocked at how succesful the Falcons are at home considering how lame the crowd is.

Wow another Dome Dictator LOL

I would be surprised if Coach Smith would accept the money from fans. If there is a fine, I like the idea of matching the amount and donating it to a charity that Smith or the falcons support.

Nice thought, but please take that to another thread. ;)

I would be surprised if Coach Smith would accept the money from fans. If there is a fine, I like the idea of matching the amount and donating it to a charity that Smith or the falcons support.

I dont know about matching it but we will do our best.

For what it is worth, this movement has already reached the desk of the VP of PR for the Falcons.

Once the fine is handed down, the account set-up and money rolling in....make sure you issue a press release to the Falcons and at least the AJC. :)

If I gave to 20 charities, I would be able to give very little to each :unsure:

I am not bickering with the amounts anyone is giving, or trying to start stuff on a MB. I really just want people to think about what they do with their money. All that said, I LOVE the ideas of giving some to charity. If this becomes a reality, and a charity becomes the target, I will gladly give what I can.

I get what you are saying but there are more and sometimes better ways to be charitable than giving money.

http://www.volunteermatch.org/

ETA: Can we agree that we have covered all the bases now? This thread has covered giving to charities both in money and time. So let's raise some money for Smitty now.

Wow another Dome Dictator LOL

I admit it - I am guilty of not wanting the Georgia Dome crowds to be the worst in the NFL - which they are.

I just can't see why Smith would be especially after the way Ryan got late hit. If anything Landry, Haynesworth, and Hall are the only ones that should be fined. They came over there starting ish. I'll be severely disappointed if Smitty is fined, but I'd chip in too though I think the players will get that for him.

Dear MB,

I have a non-profit organization called, "ARMS"

Assisting

Rehabiliting

Members of

Society

That said, we are currently in need of supplies in our pantry. Our food pantry

provides groceries for single parent familes, the homeless and working poor. ARMS

also supply GED classes, computer lessons, and an after-school program for at risk

children. Also, we give assistance to those leaving prison in our after-care program.

This is not a joke. We can use your help. If anyone is niterested in helping assist

the least among us, please contact me at deonking@bellsouth.net.

IronHead34 likes this

Once the fine is handed down, the account set-up and money rolling in....make sure you issue a press release to the Falcons and at least the AJC. :)

And list yourself of a designated person as spokesman for the group who can be reached for comment.

I get what you are saying but there are more and sometimes better ways to be charitable than giving money.

http://www.volunteermatch.org/

ETA: Can we agree that we have covered all the bases now? This thread has covered giving to charities both in money and time. So let's raise some money for Smitty now.

Sounds good. I would like to say, you are one of the most generous people I have met...online...Between this and your personal prize money you put up.

Good work.