Panthers running backs...

...are FOR REAL!

Williams has almost 800 yards and is averaging 5.2 YPC.

williams_deangelo_ci.jpg

Stewart has almost 400 yards and is averaging 4.4 YPC.

stewart_jonathan_ci.jpg

These guys can run AND catch the ball and our D had better have their jocks on tight come Sunday at 1:00. Coming out of there with a W will NOT be easy.

I agree if we can stop the run then we should win this game. The panthers passing game has been non-exsistent this season. I think we did an pretty decent job against them last game in the dome, especially up the middle, they usually beat us when the runs bounced to the outside.

I've yet to figure out the run defense these past 3 games. The first half of the games they have done a pretty good job of limiting yards on the ground. But when the second half rolls around, they are right back into giving up 5 yards a carry.

Edited by Chili Dog

I agree if we can stop the run then we should win this game. The panthers passing game has been non-exsistent this season. I think we did an pretty decent job against them last game in the dome, especially up the middle, they usually beat us when the runs bounced to the outside.

I agree 100%! With these guys the Panthers are fully capable of running the ball down our throat (or trying to), but we can't be suckered into just stopping the run, because Delhomme is just a apt to use Williams and Stewart in the passing game as well. Unlike us, the Panthers throw a lot of screens to their RBs.

This Panthers team is not the same team we faced early in the year. They are playing good football right now.

I agree the panthers have improved, but their passing game is still pretty bad, they have gotten by the last few weeks from their run game and the improved defense, but the loss of Thomas Davis is going to hurt the Panthers.

the panthers will run it 50 times if they have to. i'm pretty sure they've done that this season. our D better be ready to TACKLE this weekend. both of those guys can make you miss...but in different ways.

we stop them and we win. if we don't it could go either way because they could play ball control and then our O cant get in rhythm and put up points.

This Panthers team is not the same team we faced early in the year. They are playing good football right now.

Exactly.

I was hoping Carolina would win yesterday, not only because it would help the Falcons in the NFC South standings, but because a win "may" have had the Panthers come into our game on Sunday with a little arrogance and ego and setting themselves up for a fall. But, now that they played well and lost, they may come out against us Sunday with even more effort.

I'd be more confident if we had a healthy Norwood. These guys are ranked 23rd in run defense. Essentially, they need to stop our run game (aka Michael Turner) to win.

Giving our past games this season, I expect us to give up plenty of rushing yards to Carolina, but not a lot of points. They will get one or two long drives in, but settle for three points at the end.

What is more interesting to me is the passing game. Will Delturnover show up and toss a few biscuit picks? I'd say that's a distinct possibility. However, how will Ryan do? I'd like to see him carve up their offense with the pass but that takes a few non-negotiable variables to happen:

Use Gonzalez More

Deep pass(es) to Roddy if he's open.

Less/No drops by Jenkins.

Stronger pocket presence

Better protection by our O-Line.

In our first meeting, the Panthers got a lot of late yards to make it close but analysts brought up the the yards allowed.

Pass: 308yards Delhomme - 25/41 1TD 1INT

Rush: 144yards Williams - 16A 79Y 1TD, Stewart - 9A 65Y 0TD

If you remember, Carolina stacked the box to shut down Michael Turner that game. In turn, Ryan went 21-27 with 3TD's and 1 INT. Given Turner's last two monster games, and Ryan's fallibility, I expect Carolina to repeat their approach and take away our running game.

Mughelli is back to help with the blocking, but Ryan needs a quick target in Gonzo and a deep target in White. I expect less and less from Jenkins as the season progresses and I was strapped in on his bandwagon last year.

The panthers have a very good Oline and peppers is starting to come around.

As much as I dislike delhomo you have to admit he can be dangerous, especially with Smith on the field.

We are going to have to get our running game to where it has been the past two weeks and try and keep the panties to under 150 yards rushing. If we can do that then it's going to be up to the defenses to stop the passing game and I like our chances in that case.

This will be a tough division game that we really need to win.