atljbo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DeAngelo Hall's take on the sideline skirmish with Falcons coach Mike Smith

Nov. 8, 2009 5:22 pm

Here's what DeAngelo Hall had to say about the sideline skirmish in the second quarter, when he and Falcons coach Mike Smith had brief a physical confrontation:

Q: Was the return to Atlanta more emotional than you expected?

"There was no emotion tied up in anything. I came out here to play ball and try to get a win. Besides that one situation on the sideline, which I felt like they initiated--I can't wait for guys to sit back and watch the replay. I can't wait to watch the replay. I'm going to be giving Commissioner Goodell a call myself because something needs to be done about that."

Q: What did you see?

"It's different when a coach comes over there to break guys up. When a coach comes over there to put his hands on you in a harmful way, something needs to be done about that. And like I said, I'm going to call Commissioner Goodell. Ray Anderson used to be with Atlanta. I know him very well from there. He's the vice president [of football operations] over there in the league office. I'll definitely going to be calling some of my friends to figure out what we can do about the situation."

Q: Just to be clear, you're saying Mike Smith put his hands on you in a harmful way?

"Oh yeah. He put his hands on me in a harmful way, talking about how he's going to kick my [butt] and all this other [stuff], and that ain't how you do things. It's a different story if he's coming in there to break a fight up. Him and [Falcons director of athletic performance] Jeff Fish, the strength and conditioning coach. It's a different thing when you come in and try to break things up, as opposed to coming in and trying to put your hands on somebody. Fish had the nerve to signal to me on the sideline how strong he is (Hall imitates Fish by flexing his biceps and pointing to it). Because he was putting his hands on me, pushing me, you know what I mean? Pushing and grabbing at me and all this other [stuff]. Like I said, something is going to be done about it. Trust me. Trust me. Trust me."

A Redskins public relations staffer cut the interview off here. We didn't get to ask Hall why he was on the sideline in the first place, although I suppose another reporter might have asked before I arrived.

Perma-link: http://www.fredericksburg.com/blogs/view?blogger_id=40&p=1257718955

(0 comments ) Be the first to post a comment

His take would have been totally different if they had won. It would be a non-issue. He's a little wussy sore loser. Smitty didn't know if he was coming in to get a piece or to break up the fight, but the natural reaction is to assume that anyone not in Falcons gear is the enemy.

i heard that conversation.

D Hall: hello Mr. Goodell? yes this is deangelo hall again. well im just calling to complain that head coach Mike Smith pushed me. uh huh. No i was on their sideline. uh huh. No i had my pads and helmet on at the time. actually no, i was not involved in the play. he is 50 years old? i did not know that. uh huh. well he was sort of scary! (click).....hello.......hello?

Q: What did you see?

"It's different when a coach comes over there to break guys up. When a coach comes over there to put his hands on you in a harmful way, something needs to be done about that. And like I said, I'm going to call Commissioner Goodell. Ray Anderson used to be with Atlanta. I know him very well from there. He's the vice president [of football operations] over there in the league office. I'll definitely going to be calling some of my friends to figure out what we can do about the situation."

If his "friends" in the league office are like his "friends" on the Redskins, they won't lift a finger to help him.

Hard to see anything other than perhaps a league memo about sideline behavior coming out of this. If Hall didn't want to put himself in that situation, all he had to do was turn around after the play and walk away instead of running 10 yards deep into our sideline...

i heard that conversation.

D Hall: hello Mr. Goodell? yes this is deangelo hall again. well im just calling to complain that head coach Mike Smith pushed me. uh huh. No i was on their sideline. uh huh. No i had my pads and helmet on at the time. actually no, i was not involved in the play. he is 50 years old? i did not know that. uh huh. well he was sort of scary! (click).....hello.......hello?

QFT :lol::lol:

Skins' Hall plans to file complaint with Goodell

By CHARLES ODUM (AP) – 11 minutes ago

ATLANTA — Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall says he will file a complaint with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell about what Hall says were cheap shots delivered by coaches on his former team during a sideline melee against the Falcons on Sunday.

Hall said he was just trying to pull teammate LaRon Landry away from the Atlanta sideline after Landry was called for a late hit on Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan. Hall said Falcons director of athletic performance Jeff Fish tried to "get some licks in" and Falcons coach Mike Smith "cussed me out" as Hall was surrounded by Falcons players and staff members.

"I'm going to get on the horn with commissioner Goodell and we're going to figure out a way how to nip this in the bud," Hall said. "It's different with me coming in trying to break stuff up and as a strength coach, if you coming at me and you're trying to get (expletive) licks, that ain't how you do things.

"They need to have some repercussions and something needs to happen to them, too. I'm definitely going to get on the phone with some of my guys up there and we're going to try to figure out a way to nip this thing in the bud."

Ryan had just stepped out of bounds when Landry delivered a blow to the quarterback's back late in the second quarter of the Falcons' 31-17 win. As yellow flags flew, Hall jumped into the middle of things.

Redskins coach Jim Zorn said he thought the melee was controlled.

"I thought everybody kept it together," Zorn said. "I thought the officials handled it very well.

"I was watching on the big screen and I knew that DeAngelo was over there and I knew that was a bad place for him to be so I tried to get over there and help the situation. But even DeAngelo coming back to me, he had a real sense of control about the situation, too."

Hall appeared to be pulled away before any punches were thrown. He had talked all week of being bitter at the way he was treated by the Falcons, who traded him after the 2007 season. He played in Atlanta for four years and made the Pro Bowl twice.

Hall said Landry's hit "probably was uncalled for."

"Their sideline got a little hot," he said. "They started attacking LaRon and I'm trying to pull LaRon out and guys just started coming at me. Guys on their coaching staff. (Fish) was grabbing at me and pulling at me.

"It wasn't any mindset to break the fight up. It was in a mindset to try to get some licks in. Even the head coach came over there. Mike Smith said some stuff, said some words to me, cussed me out. He was grabbing at me, pulling at me."

Said Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez, "DeAngelo is a competitor. He's very emotional. I'm glad nobody got hurt."