Falcons' fans yearn for 'dynasty' but forget one important piece to the puzzle...

Mr. Right

I've been a Falcon fan for over 35 years, and I can truly say that this era FF is the best we have ever had. I want bore you with philosophy like Mr. Right, but I will say if you can't see a huge difference in the way this team performs as opposed to 3 years ago, then you are just a moron. The Falcons are heading in the right direction. We have a fantastic owner, and an up an coming FO. The only culture that hasn't changed is the negative and uneducated and speculative thinking of some of our fans.

Well I don't recall Dimitroff or Smith promising any dynasty, or promising anything really except state publicly the goal of the organization was to build a consistent winner, and eventually a Super Bowl.

Count me in on crowd that is very happy with the pace and progress made so far by everyone in the organization. I too will be very satisfied with 9 wins this year, but of course I will be cheering for more.

Mr. Right, answer this question if you can:

When petrino walked out, vick went to jail, and rich mckay got stripped of his duties, along with the house cleaning that took place (pro bowlers dunn, hall, and crumpler amongst some) what were your year by year expectations for the new regime? break it down by year for the first five years or to where you expected the team to win the superbowl, whichever comes first:

Year 1

Year 2

Year 3

Year 4

Year 5

Mr. Right, answer this question if you can:

When petrino walked out, vick went to jail, and rich mckay got stripped of his duties, along with the house cleaning that took place (pro bowlers dunn, hall, and crumpler amongst some) what were your year by year expectations for the new regime? break it down by year for the first five years or to where you expected the team to win the superbowl, whichever comes first:

Year 1

Year 2

Year 3

Year 4

Year 5

My expectations for a Superbowl team was 3-4 years later. We had some talent on the roster we just did not have a coach. However, in reality, we went 11-5 our first year and got to the playoffs. We also signed Tony Gonzalez. That means we should win the Superbowl this year.

Sure, I'd like to see the Falcons become a dynasty, but first I recognize that the Falcons have to become a team that doesn't embarrass themselves every other year. I think this is the year that happens. Maybe this is the year we win a Super Bowl too, we'll see. Either way, it is a positive step if the Falcons make it to the playoffs for a second consecutive year.

Teams that have never won a Superbowl:

Arizona Cardinals

Atlanta Falcons

Buffalo Bills

Carolina Panthers

Cincinnati Bengals

Cleveland Browns

Detroit Lions

Houston Texans

Jacksonville Jaguars

Minnesota Vikings

New Orleans Saints

Philadelphia Eagles

San Diego Chargers

Seattle Seahawks

Tennessee Titans

That's 15 teams - almost half the league

Teams that have never even been to a Superbowl:

Cleveland Browns

Detroit Lions

Houston Texans

Jacksonville Jaguars

New Orleans Saints

The fundamental flaws in the Mr. Right argument are that 1) the 11-5 record was sustainable with the 2008 roster and 2) Tony Gonzalez was brought in to take the 2008 roster over the playoff hump.

The 2008 record was due in large part to the schedule a 4-12 2007 season gets you. Put that together with an extremely successful 2008 draft plus the unity Coach Smith brought to the team and you have the perfect storm for a successful 2008 season. But like any storm, it can't sustain itself indefinitely. That's why Smitty talks about the process.

The Falcons absolutely are rebuilding and they're doing it in the right ways. Improving consistently through the draft (although the 2009 draft is worrisome at the moment). Re-signing and extending key players. And bringing in the occasional free agent, whether it's marquee guys like Turner and Gonzalez, or role players and stop-gap solutions like Peterson and Williams. Every one of those guys was a bargain-basement pickup which also filled a glaring need.

Superbowl talk is terribly premature. Dynasty talk is terribly premature. Be happy with what you're getting, and be happier still in the knowledge that you'll get more in the future.

Edited by JOEinPHX

The fundamental flaws in the Mr. Right argument are that 1) the 11-5 record was sustainable with the 2008 roster and 2) Tony Gonzalez was brought in to take the 2008 roster over the playoff hump.

The 2008 record was due in large part to the schedule a 4-12 2007 season gets you. Put that together with an extremely successful 2008 draft plus the unity Coach Smith brought to the team and you have the perfect storm for a successful 2008 season. But like any storm, it can't sustain itself indefinitely. That's why Smitty talks about the process.

The Falcons absolutely are rebuilding and they're doing it in the right ways. Improving consistently through the draft (although the 2009 draft is worrisome at the moment). Re-signing and extending key players. And bringing in the occasional free agent, whether it's marquee guys like Turner and Gonzalez, or role players and stop-gap solutions like Peterson and Williams. Every one of those guys was a bargain-basement pickup which also filled a glaring need.

Superbowl talk is terribly premature. Dynasty talk is terribly premature. Be happy with what you're getting, and be happier still in the knowledge that you'll get more in the future.

So what you're saying is that our 11-5 was a fluke and does not properly reflect how good the Falcons are?

Tony Gonzalez was brought in for the sole purpose of winning the Superbowl. Even he said it himself that he wanted to go to a team where he can win the big one. Gonzalez did not come here to help rebuild a team - he came here to win a championship. That's why we are supposed to win the Superbowl either this year or next year.

It's Superbowl or bust for TD and his crew.

Edited by Mr. Right

Sure, I'd like to see the Falcons become a dynasty, but first I recognize that the Falcons have to become a team that doesn't embarrass themselves every other year. I think this is the year that happens. Maybe this is the year we win a Super Bowl too, we'll see. Either way, it is a positive step if the Falcons make it to the playoffs for a second consecutive year.

X2... well said Peyton. It is NOT SB or bust this year. While I'd love for us to make it and think we can I won't consider this season a waste as long as we break the B2B curse. If we can go into the playoffs and win a game or 2 that would be even sweeter.

Tony G was brought in to win a SB but he's already said he would def. be here next season... ;)

My expectations for a Superbowl team was 3-4 years later. We had some talent on the roster we just did not have a coach. However, in reality, we went 11-5 our first year and got to the playoffs. We also signed Tony Gonzalez. That means we should win the Superbowl this year.

Your consistent lack of knowledge about the game of football is almost as disturbing as the persistence with which you exhibit it....

Fail.