meyer fined for late hit comments

sw_ga_falcon

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP)—Urban Meyer of Florida became the first coach to be disciplined under the Southeastern Conference’s new policy regarding criticizing officials.

The league fined Meyer $30,000 on Friday, two days after he said referees missed a late hit against quarterback Tim Tebow in No. 1 Florida’s 41-17 win against Georgia. Meyer sent video of the play to the SEC office, but his mistake was telling reporters refs missed the call.

Last week, the SEC changed its policy about coaches publicly criticizing officials, making the punishment either a fine or a suspension and doing away with reprimands. The change came after Tennessee’s Lane Kiffin, Mississippi State’s Dan Mullen and Arkansas’ Bobby Petrino were reprimanded after they publicly questioned officiating.

“Coach Meyer has violated the Southeastern Conference Code of Ethics,” SEC commissioner Mike Slive said in a statement. “SEC bylaw 10.5.4 clearly states that the coaches, players and support personnel shall refrain from public criticism of officials. The league’s athletics directors and presidents and chancellors have made it clear that negative public comments on officiating are not acceptable.”

Meyer apologized following the fine.

“As I stated last week, I have great respect for commissioner Mike Slive and the Southeastern Conference, and I respect this decision,” Meyer said in a statement. “There was no intent to criticize an official after being asked about a situation that occurred last Saturday, and I apologize for my remarks.”

rules are rules, no matter how stupid they are.

And they are very stupid. I could understand if a coach just completely trashed officials but when asked about a certain situation and you respond that you felt it was a penalty shouldn't result in anything. The SEC is too worried about players having fun and coaches' comments instead of fixing the real problem...

Meyer just had to jump on the bandwagon...couldn't stand all the attention Kiffin has been getting.

Fines should be based on a coachs' salary...and since Meyer is knocking down $4mil a year, his fine should have been $200,000. Good gawd, they won 41-17...why bother?

yep he has to be the first to get fined. break ground there and beat kiffin to the punch.. :lol: . oscar was trying to divert attention away from the spikes incident and the national outcry over trying to blind a player and the moronic half game suspension.

This was from the ESPN article talking about when Urban Meyer brought up the whole issue:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4622769

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida coach Urban Meyer believes Southeastern Conference officials missed a late hit on Tim Tebow in Saturday's game against Georgia.

Meyer said Wednesday the crew calling the game should have flagged Bulldogs linebacker Nick Williams for knocking his quarterback to the ground well after he had gotten rid of the football.

Meyer sent video of the play to Rogers Redding, the league's coordinator of officials. Meyer declined to reveal what the SEC told him, saying he didn't "want to step out of line."

Last week the SEC changed its discipline policy about coaches publicly criticizing officials, making the punishment either a fine or a suspension and doing away with the reprimands.

SEC associate commissioner Charles Bloom told ESPN on Wednesday that SEC commissioner Mike Slive was traveling. But he is aware of Meyer's comments and reviewing them. Bloom said there would be an announcement made on possible punishment Thursday or Friday.

Meyer told reporters on the weekly SEC conference call the play was directly in front of the referee and should have been penalized. Tebow handed off to running back Jeff Demps, took a few steps to his right and wasn't looking when Williams came unblocked off the right edge and slammed into his chest.

"That should have been a penalty, in my opinion," Meyer said. "Obviously, it should have been. You've got to protect quarterbacks. That's the whole purpose. It's right in front of the referee. I'm not sure how they're going to handle that, but ... that was one of the plays we did send in."

Meyer didn't mention the play until asked about it Wednesday, possibly trying to avoid drawing punishment from the league. He also prefaced his comments by saying he has "great respect" for SEC officials and the way the league handles complaints.

If he didn't want to get a fine, then when asked about it he should have simply stated which plays were sent for review and then just not comment on it, or just say, "I don't want to comment on the plays I sent in, because my feelings may be deemed as critical and I don't want to step over any lines." He could have just submitted his comments to Mike Slive about how he felt about the missed call, instead of bringing it up publicly, which the new rule specifically states not to do. Meyer's statements above seemed a little double-sided, like, "Yes I respect the officials and their decisions, but I'm also going to criticize a call that won't have any effect on the outcome of that game." lol, in other words, yes, he deserved to get fined.

Edited by RedandBlack4Life!

And they are very stupid. I could understand if a coach just completely trashed officials but when asked about a certain situation and you respond that you felt it was a penalty shouldn't result in anything. The SEC is too worried about players having fun and coaches' comments instead of fixing the real problem...

I agree the SEC is too worried about the wrong things... celebrations, players having fun, coaches walking on egg shells in every interview, etc.

But I think Meyer deserves this... he said he didn't wanna cross the line but went right ahead and did it... for a missed roughing the passer call that had absolutely no effect on the outcome of the game (unlike previous criticisms that drew so much attention).

The rule doesn't specify the degree to which criticism must go before a fine or suspension is warranted... just that it can't be public. And if you tell a reporter that a call that wasn't made should have been a penalty, then that's well into the definition of public criticism. Plain and simple. Stupid? Yes. But Meyer knew what he did.

30 grand sucks for anyone to lose, but honestly it's a drop in the bucket to Meyer... and if it hurts him that much just ask every fan to bring 50 cents to the game and donate it to The Urban Cryer Fund.