Saints gameplan for stopping Steve Smith.

Big Bubba

From Nola.com. Link to full piece.

http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-5/1257489048122540.xml&coll=1&thispage=3

COVERING STEVE SMITH: Carolina wide receiver Steve Smith has been perhaps the biggest thorn in the side of the Saints recently. In his past eight games against the Saints, Smith has caught 52 passes for 745 yards and seven touchdowns.

Those numbers haven't been lost on Williams, who also has been victimized by Smith in the past.

"He's an unbelievable football player," Williams said. "He does things that obviously you can't coach. They are going to do two or three things that we haven't even seen on film, where they try to scheme a big play to him.

"The thing that I think that he does the best is, for a little guy when the ball goes up in the air, he plays like a 6-10 center. He goes and gets it. But what we've got to do is turn his little body over, so that when he does get it he lands on his head and he doesn't come back in for a while."

Williams said he is confident the Saints' starting cornerbacks, Jabari Greer and Tracy Porter, will be able to defend Smith.

"Our corner play has been outstanding, so we are not afraid of putting our corners out there," Williams said. "There will be some plays that he makes, and there will be some plays that we make. We just have to hope that it's not a point-producing play."

Honestly. I'm not sure what he was trying to go for there but it sounds like he has intent to injure players. It would be like Meeks doing an interview and saying what his defense has to do is bash Brees on his throwing shoulder when he goes to throw the ball. So that, you know, he doesn't come back for a while.

Edited by 08NFCSChamps

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly this will be the first game I root for the Panties, Between Paytons drag-queen like painted on eyeliner looking eyes and his silly antics every time the Saints score. You have this cheese ball Williams saying crap like this. I hope Steve Smith sucker punches the ***** much like he did Lucas.....

The Taints are in for a long game vrs the Panthers running attack since they now have the "we don't have a DT syndrome" that the Panthers and Falcons have already been put though......

Rant over/

Edited by Dirtybirdn@tion

Honestly this will be the first game I root for the Panties, Between Paytons drag-queen like painted on eyeliner looking eyes and his silly antics every time the Saints score. You have this cheese ball Williams saying crap like this. I hope Steve Smith sucker punches the ***** much like he did Lucas.....

The Taints are in for a long game vrs the Panthers running attack since they now have the "we don't have a DT syndrome" that the Panthers and Falcons have already been put though......

Rant over/

Wan. U finish crying yet.

That's one way to interpret the man's words, albeit a very defensive and screetchy one.

Maybe I'm old fashioned. You just don't make statements like he made, seriously or joking. Guy is in charge and is the one calling the plays, that's what makes it bad. Saint fans would be up in arms if Meeks said something about deliberately injuring Brees. Rightfully so also.

Maybe I'm old fashioned. You just don't make statements like he made, seriously or joking. Guy is in charge and is the one calling the plays, that's what makes it bad. Saint fans would be up in arms if Meeks said something about deliberately injuring Brees. Rightfully so also.

if you dont think that coaches don't tell players to make receivers pay every time they go over the middle or to keep hitting the opposing QB as much as possible you are nuts. He wants his defenders to nail him every time he gets his hands on the ball and I would not be whining if another coach said that about the Saints receivers

if you dont think that coaches don't tell players to make receivers pay every time they go over the middle or to keep hitting the opposing QB as much as possible you are nuts. He wants his defenders to nail him every time he gets his hands on the ball and I would not be whining if another coach said that about the Saints receivers

Yeah. Coaches are always going to the media and during interviews, talk about deliberately injuring a player. It's not the same man and you know it. Behind closed doors is one thing. Talking about it in an interview is another. The statement he made was trash. Pure and simple.

STEVE SMITH AIN'T WHO THE SAINTS HAVE TO STOP. THE SAINTS BETTER STOP THE RUNNING GAME.

UNLIKE THE FALCONS WITH ONE HECK'OF A RUNNING BACK .... THE CAT'S HAVE TWO, AND THEY BOTH

WILL BURN THE BOURBON STREET OUT OF YOU, IF YOU LET'EM GET CRANKED UP. IF THE SAINTS

CAN SHUT DOWN THESE TWO SUPER CAT BACKS ... THEY CAN CRUISE TO A WIN. BUT IF THEY LET THEM

GET CRUNK-UP .... THEY WILL PUT ON THOSE LONG TIME CONSUMING DRIVES, KEEPING BREES &

COMPANY ON THE SIDELINES. I DON'T KNOW WHAT PANTHER TEAM WILL SHOW UP SUNDAY? CAROLINA

CAN COUNT ON WHICH SAINT TEAM SHOWS UP ..... THE 7-0 ONE WILL!

PRETTY MUCH ... BUT YOU GOT TO REMEMBER .... THIS IS FOOTBALL .. NFC SOUTH STYLE. :rolleyes:

I can dig a good hard hitting game. Take Caddie, What happened to him that first time was tragic, how *****-like would it have been if Trgovac showed intent(To the media) to deliberately injure him right before that game though?

I can dig a good hard hitting game. Take Caddie, What happened to him that first time was tragic, how *****-like would it have been if Trgovac showed intent(To the media) to deliberately injure him right before that game though?

IN THE ARTICLE, THE COACH ISN'T SAYING THEY INTEND TO INJURE ANYBODY. HE'S JUST REMINDING THE

OPPONENT, THAT THERE WILL BE A PRICE TO PAY ... IF YOU'RE CAUGHT WITH THE BALL IN YOUR HANDS.

THATS FOOTBALL ... BASICALLY, HE'S SAYING THEIR GOING TO ATTACK THE FOOTBALL, AND SHAME ON WHOM

EVER MAY HAVE THE OBJECT OF ATTACK IN THEIR HANDS. COACH WILLIAMS IS NOT A DIRTY GUY ...

AGGRESSIVE YES, DIRTY .. NO! :rolleyes:

Edited by REV.2000

IN THE ARTICLE, THE COACH ISN'T SAYING THEY INTEND TO INJURE ANYBODY. HE'S JUST REMINDING THE

OPPONENT, THAT THERE WILL BE A PRICE TO PAY ... IF YOU'RE CAUGHT WITH THE BALL IN YOUR HANDS.

THATS FOOTBALL ... BASICALLY, HE'S SAYING THEIR GOING TO ATTACK THE FOOTBALL, AND SHAME ON WHOM

EVER MAY HAVE THE OBJECT OF ATTACK IN THEIR HANDS. COACH WILLIAMS IS NOT A DIRTY GUY ...

AGGRESSIVE YES, DIRTY .. NO! :rolleyes:

thanks Rev. if an opposing coach said that about Colston I would be telling them to bring it on if they can

lol

3 teams worth of fans saying "wow, it sounds like he wants to hurt players"

1 team calling those 3 teams whiners because their D coordinator wants to hurt players

...expect anything less from the Saints?

Two of your fellow Falcon fans don't have a problem with what he said, and fans of another team haven't shown up in this thread. So where do you get that from?

Like others, I take what he said as "We're going to bring the pain." I love it. Not to mention, I'm majoring in Mass Communications, and I've more than learned that there is a VERY good chance that either the question was worded for that kind of answer, or his words have been taken out of context. Either way, we're going to lay the wood on Sunday, and it's much more refreshing to hear that after what we went through with Gibbs for three years.

So a Falcons coach saying "my boys will put Colston in the hospital with a neck injury" would be OK?

I actually used to have respect for you but this is some of the stupidest crap I have ever seen.

Have you ever played football before? When I did, if I said I was gonna murder someone on the other team (on the field) it didnt ******* mean I was going to take out a gun and shoot them or pull a shiv and stab them. It meant I was going to play hard and hit them as hard as I could if I had the chance.