Let's Just Calm Down!

I think he said it best in the last paragraph...

"So, let's just calm down. Ryan will be fine. The Falcons' schedule gets quite a bit easier, and by the end of the season we'll all be praising Ryan for leading the Falcons to back-to-back winning seasons and another playoff appearance."

That is exactly what I have been thinking while I'm reading all the negative posts on here.

It's a shame an outsider has to tell our own fans and media to calm down about our young QB. <_<

What you said, but most of the people complaining about Ryan on these boards aren't really Falcon fans anyways. They are rival trolls who get their jollys off by pretending to be fans and posting negative posts about any and everyone on the team after every loss.

It really just shows how scared they are. Ryan is going to be very good for a long time.

Everybody is saying "Calm Down"... So when is it going to be ok to stand up and make a statement? I guess when the season is over and we don't make the playoffs. This issue with Ryan was here in 2008, it was over looked because the Falcons made the playoffs. I brought this issue to light toward the end of the season in 2008. Roddy White stop having 100 yard games and they put that on "The Rookie Wall", then Roddy had to wait on most of Ryan passes so everyone said they were having a "Timing Issue". Then in 2008 when other teams stopped the "RUN GAME" we lost, because they claimed that Ryan couldn't beat you with his arm...

So now in 2009 teams have realized that Ryan has an issue throwing the deep pass (which I mention just a few weeks prior). This has nothing to do with his thinking ability, nothing to do with his accuracy nor his knowledge of the game. Ryan just can't make the 40-50 yard passes down the field. The last 2 games we lost was due to big plays, Dallas and New Orleans beat us on the deep passes, which in turn open the run game.

So if the ALARM isn't being sounded now, when will it be addressed. The coaching staff has a major issue to deal with and if they don't make adjustments this week, the playoffs will be out the picture.

Just because a FALCONS FAN makes a negative statement about a player doesn't me he/she is any less of a fan. We should be worried about the FAN that doesn't give any feedback good or bad. Negative feedback from a fan shows how frustrated the team or player has made them feel. It's not a fan on this board that likes to loose a game especially when the team had it in the bag. If a fan can walk around and not feel any frustration about the game, then that's the FAN you need to worry about.

Everybody is saying "Calm Down"... So when is it going to be ok to stand up and make a statement? I guess when the season is over and we don't make the playoffs. This issue with Ryan was here in 2008, it was over looked because the Falcons made the playoffs. I brought this issue to light toward the end of the season in 2008. Roddy White stop having 100 yard games and they put that on "The Rookie Wall", then Roddy had to wait on most of Ryan passes so everyone said they were having a "Timing Issue". Then in 2008 when other teams stopped the "RUN GAME" we lost, because they claimed that Ryan couldn't beat you with his arm...

So now in 2009 teams have realized that Ryan has an issue throwing the deep pass (which I mention just a few weeks prior). This has nothing to do with his thinking ability, nothing to do with his accuracy nor his knowledge of the game. Ryan just can't make the 40-50 yard passes down the field. The last 2 games we lost was due to big plays, Dallas and New Orleans beat us on the deep passes, which in turn open the run game.

So if the ALARM isn't being sounded now, when will it be addressed. The coaching staff has a major issue to deal with and if they don't make adjustments this week, the playoffs will be out the picture.

Here in Atlanta there is a topic of conversation that is getting a little out of hand. That would be the conversation surrounding the recent troubles of Falcons' qb, Matt Ryan.

Matt Ryan has played poorly in three consecutive games. He's thrown 7ints during that span, and his team has gone 1-2.

Take a look at the local papers, or listen to the local sports talk radio, and most of what you will see and hear surrounds Ryan's poor play. Things like, "Matt Ryan, Sophomore Slump?", "Ryan's First Slump Just a Momentary Downturn?", and other titles of that nature. The call-in shows are even worse, with some people claiming that this is the real Ryan, and that he will never win anything...blah, blah, blah.

Okay folks, let's just calm it down.

Matt Ryan is going to be just fine. Sure he hasn't been as good as last year this far, but let's keep in mind that he had the best rookie season...wait for it...EVER!!

Let's also keep in mind that Michael Turner, up until this past game, has not given the Falcons much of a running game, and that in the last two games the offensive line has been terrible, giving up 7 sacks.

Even with that, the Falcons' passing game hasn't been that bad. They are currently 8th in the NFC in yards per game, and 6th in the NFC in touchdowns. These are respectable numbers, and that includes these past three games in which Ryan hasn't performed his best.

He is going to be fine. He is the total package; he's smart, has a strong arm, is accurate, and a natural leader. He knows he hasn't been his best, and he knows he has to cut down on the mistakes. His rookie year wasn't a fluke. Players go through rough patches all the time, and the great ones can overcome them. Ryan has the making of a great one.

So, let's just calm down. Ryan will be fine. The Falcons' schedule gets quite a bit easier, and by the end of the season we'll all be praising Ryan for leading the Falcons to back-to-back winning seasons and another playoff appearance.

-Bradley Martin

There's the article for people who's lazy to click on the link.

Ryan has thrown 7 int in the last 3 games but if you take a close look at it, 4 of them was really his fault.

The second interception that he thrown in the Chicago game, it wasnt his fault. He threw it Jenkins who tipped it to the Bears safety.

The 2 ints he threw in New Orleans game wasnt a bad throw either. He threw a "might have been" touchdown to TG88, the Saints LB tiped it and got intercepted by their CB.

Then when the 11 seconds play at the end of the game, he just threw it up for catch. 5 Saints DBs on 2 Falcons receiver, you get the idea.

Its just bad lucks, Matt Ryan will shake it off, and get it together. Nothing to be worry about, at least not for me =)

I agree with you dipper. Im season ticket holder and i am concerned with Matt's arm. I remember last year in the dome when he threw the ball a mile in the air. It looked like a punt. I dont believe that a Qb must possess a strong arm to be a good Qb in the NFL. I do believe that we have to play with-in Matt's limit.

Matt is decent in short/intermediate passes. Deep passes are not his game. Actually, Reidmam throws a much better ball. Ive been to the mini camps and the rome the dome events. Reidmen's arm is significantly stronger than Ryan's.

I agree with you dipper. Im season ticket holder and i am concerned with Matt's arm. I remember last year in the dome when he threw the ball a mile in the air. It looked like a punt. I dont believe that a Qb must possess a strong arm to be a good Qb in the NFL. I do believe that we have to play with-in Matt's limit.

Matt is decent in short/intermediate passes. Deep passes are not his game. Actually, Reidmam throws a much better ball. Ive been to the mini camps and the rome the dome events. Reidmen's arm is significantly stronger than Ryan's.

I agree you being realistic, but on the other side, this is his second year in the league.

He got his ups and down, but remember this is still a learning curve for him. Give him another year or 2 then we don't have to worry about having a losing season.

I agree you being realistic, but on the other side, this is his second year in the league.

He got his ups and down, but remember this is still a learning curve for him. Give him another year or 2 then we don't have to worry about having a losing season.

Im not sure we will have tony g for another two years. I think Matt is a great kid. I like him. He's a perfect face of the franchise. Im willing to sit through his growing pains. All im saying is we cannot afford to throw the ball to far down the field. The receiver will have to wait for the ball because he throws it to high. I believe it is because lack of arm strenght.

When its his 5th season or so in the league and he has been consistently sub-par, NOT his 2nd season after having a very good rookie season and this is his FIRST stretch of adversity. You have no crystal ball to KNOW that the issue will be addressed. Many here believe that it will- are they wrong? Do you think it CAN'T be addressed? How about having faith in that instead of gloating about what you predicted will happen and being so eager to set off the alarm and say "I told you so".

Look if the TEAM doesn't make the playoffs, it will NOT be Ryan's fault alone so please stop equating the only measure of his individual success to that. It will be a team failure. It takes a team to do that. You're telling if the Falcons do not make the playoffs it won't be partly due to the play of this secondary (or lack thereof?)as I quote you saying- "Dallas and New Orleans beat us on the deep passes.."- Ryan doesn't play defense dog. Not due in part in the o-line's play if it doesn't get back on track? You don't have time to throw deep passes if the other team's d-lineman are all over you. Turner's slow start and fumbles? How about that run game opening things up for the deep pass? Jason Elam missing FGs he should make? Jenkins dropping passes he should catch? The d-line's inability to get a pass rush? The disappearance of Jon Abraham's sack #'s?

Ryan's so called inability to throw a mile like you want him to will be the LEAST of our problems and and I doubt teams are solely focusing in on that as a way to beat this team- get real that's just the main one YOU like to point out. They know we have bigger issues and turnovers were a big one in both the Dallas and the Saints game. So they are many other reasons for our losses, please stop putting them and our playoff hopes one guy. He is not alone in this. No team is perfect, and if your QB has to throw a mile and have a 100+ QB rating every time out, you're not going to the playoffs anyway. We have more important things to fix and i believe this staff will do that.

Edited by DBFever2

Im not sure we will have tony g for another two years. I think Matt is a great kid. I like him. He's a perfect face of the franchise. Im willing to sit through his growing pains. All im saying is we cannot afford to throw the ball to far down the field. The receiver will have to wait for the ball because he throws it to high. I believe it is because lack of arm strenght.

That's funny you keep harping on arm strength. I remember a lot of people saying that about Joe Montana once and he turned out alright... ;)

When its his 5th season or so in the league and he has been consistently sub-par, NOT his 2nd season after having a very good rookie season and this is his FIRST stretch of adversity. You have no crystal ball to KNOW that the issue will be addressed. Many here believe that it will- are they wrong? Do you think it CAN'T be addressed? How about having faith in that instead of gloating about what you predicted will happen and being so eager to set off the alarm and say "I told you so".

Look if the TEAM doesn't make the playoffs, it will NOT be Ryan's fault alone so please stop equating the only measure of his individual success to that. It will be a team failure. It takes a team to do that. You're telling if the Falcons do not make the playoffs it won't be partly due to the play of this secondary (or lack thereof?)as I quote you saying- "Dallas and New Orleans beat us on the deep passes.."- Ryan doesn't play defense dog. Not due in part in the o-line's play if it doesn't get back on track? You don't have time to throw deep passes if the other team's d-lineman are all over you. Turner's slow start and fumbles? How about that run game opening things up for the deep pass? Jason Elam missing FGs he should make? Jenkins dropping passes he should catch? The d-line's inability to get a pass rush? The disappearance of Jon Abraham's sack #'s?

Ryan's so called inability to throw a mile like you want him to will be the LEAST of our problems and and I doubt teams are solely focusing in on that as a way to beat this team- get real that's just the main one YOU like to point out. They know we have bigger issues and turnovers were a big one in both the Dallas and the Saints game. So they are many other reasons for our losses, please stop putting them and our playoff hopes one guy. He is not alone in this.

You have a great point, Matt isnt the only reason we lost those games,but this is a quarter-back driven league. You need a Qb than can make all the throws as well as lead the team. Ryan has no problem leading. I question if he can make all of the throws.

It's funny that your saying he is in his Sophmore year but he was a savoir last year when we went to the playoffs. Ryan got the credit for going to the playoffs so he will get blamed if we don't make it... It comes with the QB position.

Ya'll are right. Maybe as a fan I need to sit back and say whatever happens just happens. Put no expectations on the team because RYAN is in his Sophmore year. If we win we win if we loose it was to be expected, thats the kind of fans we have in Georgia...

Do you honestly think that N.Y Giants, Eagles, Jet would be sitting down quiet...NO...

It's a shame an outsider has to tell our own fans and media to calm down about our young QB. <_<

He's not an outsider at all. His recent articles are Dear Braves: Please Keep Vazquez, Let's Just Calm Down, The Falcons Loss A Day Later, The Falcons and Saints Battle It Out On MNF, Today's All Saints Day, Thankfully Tomorrow Isn't, Mike Smith Doesn't Like Losing Streaks, Falcons/Saints Key Matchup #1, Tim Hudson; My New Favorite Brave, Hawks Set to Kick Off The Season, and Really Keith Brooking?

Frankly it's the outsiders causing the hype about Ryan. There are many here but...it's a message board, and with any message board you will have those who...let's just say rationality is not their king. I don't even think Ryan is playing that badly. I keep hearing the last 3 games as a reference.

I thought he handled the Bears game very well. I didn't have any commentary or stat lines at my disposal while I was watching but leaving the Dome my thought about the offense was how well he handled everything considering Turner's awful day. The drive at the end of the half I would argue was one of his top 3 drives of his young NFL career. With roughly 5:30 left in the 2nd qtr and 60-something yards to go, he scores a touchdown with 0:04 left. I'm not sure if it was evident on TV but you could definitely tell he was making audibles at the line and totally picked apart their defense. It also looked to me like the Roddy TD was a play change as well. He did remarkably well this game I thought.

The Cowboys game you could tell he was legitimately rattled and not making good decisions. Much props to their defense for that (ouch it hurts to even type that).

Monday night was a game I thought Ryan did pretty well with. He made the egregious error in the pick 6. I don't care if it was pass interference, he wasn't getting that ball to a white jersey with that pass period. But I mean all in all he managed to do pretty well in terms of moving the ball. I certainly didn't get the vibe that Ryan lost that game, more that the Saints D won it.