Does being realistic ever help?

Finally

I remember being very realistic in 2007 and I can tell you that each and every loss was a PUNCH IN THE GUT. I am a fan. Losses hurt just as much when I suspect they are coming. No amount of preparation truly prepares me for when the final seconds fall off the clock and the score is not in our favor.

You know what being realistic really does? It makes you feel bad the week BEFORE the game. We have a great team finally, why act as if you are a bucs fan? They have next to nothing to look forward to each week.

There is a hitch in your giddy-up if you can't see where we are and where we are going.

We are not at the stage yet where all of our frustrations are behind us but we are on the rise and each week brings new hope.

Also, if someone wants to be a homer... just let them. No one needs you arguing with them and trying to pee on their parade. You worry about your expectations and we will worry about ours.

Cliff notes version:

SHUT YOUR CRY HOLE!

I remember being very realistic in 2007 and I can tell you that each and every loss was a PUNCH IN THE GUT. I am a fan. Losses hurt just as much when I suspect they are coming. No amount of preparation truly prepares me for when the final seconds fall off the clock and the score is not in our favor.

You know what being realistic really does? It makes you feel bad the week BEFORE the game. We have a great team finally, why act as if you are a bucs fan? They have next to nothing to look forward to each week.

There is a hitch in your giddy-up if you can't see where we are and where we are going.

We are not at the stage yet where all of our frustrations are behind us but we are on the rise and each week brings new hope.

Also, if someone wants to be a homer... just let them. No one needs you arguing with them and trying to pee on their parade. You worry about your expectations and we will worry about ours.

Cliff notes version:

SHUT YOUR CRY HOLE!

Pun intended?

Cliff notes version:

SHUT YOUR CRY HOLE!

F*** realism, the Church of Finally is my new religion.

I like looking forward to the game. It helps when working long hours. How can I look forward to a game I "realistically" expect to lose?

Exactly. It makes my week that much crappier if I think we are going to lose. I am always one that stays positive. 2007 is the only year where I really lost it, and let my emotions get the best of me.

He can cite me all he wants. I've said this at least a million times. I'd rather be excited and anxious coming into the game. How I feel the week before will not change how I feel when they lose - and I sure wouldn't feel better being "right" about them losing.

I have never regretted believing in them or rooting for them 100%. I do not feel ashamed to say I believe they can win any game if they prepare and come out and play the game for 60 minutes. I am not ashamed of how I feel before the game - or after the game - no matter how it turns out.

I hate a loss - and it's a definite sucker punch - but I'll be damned if I want to feel that way a week in advance.

I like looking forward to the game. It helps when working long hours. How can I look forward to a game I "realistically" expect to lose?

Even in the bad years I say you never know and try to find the positive reasons why a win may be possible. Otherwise I just enjoy the tailgate festivities and hope for good weather because even in a bad season this is my favorite way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

He can cite me all he wants. I've said this at least a million times. I'd rather be excited and anxious coming into the game. How I feel the week before will not change how I feel when they lose - and I sure wouldn't feel better being "right" about them losing.

I have never regretted believing in them or rooting for them 100%. I do not feel ashamed to say I believe they can win any game if they prepare and come out and play the game for 60 minutes. I am not ashamed of how I feel before the game - or after the game - no matter how it turns out.

I hate a loss - and it's a definite sucker punch - but I'll be damned if I want to feel that way a week in advance.

A million times? I only counted a little over 8200.

When you can keep your homer glasses on (I admit mine have fallen off several times over the years) the stinging loss is quickly replaced with new hope for the next game. If you are "realistic" all you do is whine and complain all week about dropped passes and interceptions. I'd rather be happy and focus on what could be rather than focus on the negatives. That is not to say I don't realize there are areas for improvement but I trust the coaches will fix what they can and the rest will have to wait for the offseason.

A million times? I only counted a little over 8200.

When you can keep your homer glasses on (I admit mine have fallen off several times over the years) the stinging loss is quickly replaced with new hope for the next game. If you are "realistic" all you do is whine and complain all week about dropped passes and interceptions. I'd rather be happy and focus on what could be rather than focus on the negatives. That is not to say I don't realize there are areas for improvement but I trust the coaches will fix what they can and the rest will have to wait for the offseason.

Yeah - the others were on the old board. You'd have to go back to see those tongue.gif

It's a 2 way street though. There are those that are overly negative - always finding the bad things here and there. Then there are those that don't want you to mention anything that the team has done wrong... ever. These two polar opposites don't realize how much they really have in common. I find myself skirting the fence most weeks, usually teetering more on the positive side. :wacko:

Follow this team for long enough and you become trapped somewhere between "Hope springs eternal" and "On any given Sunday." Every season, I have gone into it with high expectations. Every game, I have anticipated a win. I usually temper my hopes with a dose of realism, but the chance to win is always there.

I didn't "expect" a win against the Saints, but I knew we had a shot. Danged if we didn't almost pull it off. I was comfortable with that level of realism I had the week before.

"Realistic" is a relative term. It means different things to different people. I can accept full-blown homer-ism, I can accept the cold, disinterested analysis of the upcoming game. What I have little tolerance for is gloom-and-doom negative attitude about every player, coach, owner or game plan that happens to be the current topic.

It's a 2 way street though. There are those that are overly negative - always finding the bad things here and there. Then there are those that don't want you to mention anything that the team has done wrong... ever. These two polar opposites don't realize how much they really have in common. I find myself skirting the fence most weeks, usually teetering more on the positive side. :wacko:

I see positive people making negative comments all the time. I don't think anyone minds a negative remark as long as it is not in the form of a tantrum or a trolling remark. If people would learn to be objective in their criticisms there would not be all this negative voting for negative comments. I have made a number of critical observations lately including one on Ryan but it was accepted without consequence because it was not some gloom and doom post.

to be fair, some people like talking football beyond being a Falcons fan. when i'm in my fan mode, i'm all for the team, we can beat anybody, as soon as that kick-off ball goes in the air i'm pro-Falcons. but during the week, if i want to have a good conversation with a rival or with a fan, i'll touch on weaknesses, analyze them, try and think up reasons why they could be there. that's another level that i like to take the football experience, because i don't get it any other time of the year. but hey, to each his own. being realistic doesn't mean you feel the burn of a loss all week though. i know Rams fans who will keep it extremely real to you about their weaknesses, but they don't doubt they can't hang with any team in the league. as Smith said, the drop off in talent between teams is so far and few between, it's really all about the coaching, and taking a team's negatives and positives to come up with a gameplan that hides the negatives and flaunts the positives

Cliff notes version:

SHUT YOUR CRY HOLE!

Well stated as always Finally. I think being a fan of an NFL team requires an unrealistic point of veiw since there are thirty two teams and one Super Bowl winner. Everyone else is a loser to some degree and the bottom one third can be seen as nothing else.

However, all teams have large fan bases and many fans deal with a losing team by being "realistic" as a protective mechanism.

I get pissed though when Falcons fans get negative with a winning record!

Well stated as always Finally. I think being a fan of an NFL team requires an unrealistic point of veiw since there are thirty two teams and one Super Bowl winner. Everyone else is a loser to some degree and the bottom one third can be seen as nothing else.

However, all teams have large fan bases and many fans deal with a losing team by being "realistic" as a protective mechanism.

I get pissed though when Falcons fans get negative with a winning record!

For us long-timers, it's due to post-traumatic stress.