Music lovers: I need your help

rvrndzombii

Anyone else have this problem. You sit down to download some music and all of a sudden you cant think of anything you want to download? If I'm away from the comp I can think of 1000 bands and artists i want to hear; as soon as I sit down to do it I draw a blank

any reccomendations would be appreciated:

I have recently downloaded the following so maybe you can see some of the music I like

Muddy Waters

Howlin Wolf

Jack Johnson

Dave matthews

my morning Jacket

the avett brothers

ray charles

Bill withers

the violent femmes

Robert Johnson

Sonny Boy Williamson

Im pretty open to anything but I just cant seem to think of anything I really want.

Muddy Waters

Howlin Wolf

my morning Jacket

the avett brothers

the violent femmes

Along the blues line, check out Junior Kimbrough for some grimy dirty blues, or The Black Key's "thickfreakness" for more rock oriented blues.

If you're listening to Avett Brothers, you may like Gillian Welch. I recommend either "Time (The Revelator)" or "Soul Journey."

Also, Jim James from My Morning Jacket just put out an album with Connor Oberst and a couple others. The band is called Monsters of Folk. Awful yet hilarious name.

Last suggestion would be Arcade Fire's album "Funeral," just because everyone should own it.

The new Black Crowes album, Before the Frost, is amazing. It's technically a studio album, but they recorded it live in front of a small audience in Levon Helm's barn studio. They have a new lead guitar player, Luther Dickinson, from the North Mississippi Allstars, and he has brought a great country/blues and bluegrass element to the band. The album is very diverse, with straight-ahead Black Crowes southern rock, to country, bluegrass, and there's even a disco-like track. I've been listening to it constantly.

Definitely check out the Black Keys like another poster mentioned. Killer two man band.

The new Black Crowes album, Before the Frost, is amazing. It's technically a studio album, but they recorded it live in front of a small audience in Levon Helm's barn studio. They have a new lead guitar player, Luther Dickinson, from the North Mississippi Allstars, and he has brought a great country/blues and bluegrass element to the band. The album is very diverse, with straight-ahead Black Crowes southern rock, to country, bluegrass, and there's even a disco-like track. I've been listening to it constantly.

Second this. Awesome album.

For more Southern rock/alt-country, also see:

Drive By Truckers (recommend "Decoration Day," but all of their stuff is awesome)

Bobby Bare, Jr. (recommend "Young Criminals Starvation League," "Dig Down" is a great tune)

Gov't Mule

Whiskeytown

Drag the River

Blue Mountain

The Bottle Rockets

The Refreshments

Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers

Drive By Truckers (recommend "Decoration Day," but all of their stuff is awesome)

Bobby Bare, Jr. (recommend "Young Criminals Starvation League," "Dig Down" is a great tune)

Gov't Mule

Whiskeytown

Drag the River

Blue Mountain

The Bottle Rockets

The Refreshments

^This. I'll also add The Dexateens and Magnolia Electric Co. to that list.

Gov't Mule

Whiskeytown

Drag the River

Blue Mountain

The Bottle Rockets

The Refreshments

Killer list. I haven't heard of some of those bands, I'll have to check them out. I've seen Gov't Mule live at the Masquerade in Atlanta the past two summers, they were both amazing shows. Gov't Mule isn't necessarily doing anything new, but they are so talented. Warren Haynes feel, phrasing, and tone are to die for. And as good of a guitar player as he is, he's equally as good of a singer. He has a great, soulful voice.

Killer list. I haven't heard of some of those bands, I'll have to check them out. I've seen Gov't Mule live at the Masquerade in Atlanta the past two summers, they were both amazing shows. Gov't Mule isn't necessarily doing anything new, but they are so talented. Warren Haynes feel, phrasing, and tone are to die for. And as good of a guitar player as he is, he's equally as good of a singer. He has a great, soulful voice.

Yeah, but to be fair, nobody's doing anything new. We're just recycling the same old cliches.

"Dig Down" by Bobby Bare, Jr. is about that very thing, too ;)

"This letter is addressed to Mr. Pete Townsend,

hey brother I'm writing to say thanks for nothing,

your generation used up all the feelings

and if we rock it looks like we're ripping you off.

Hey Mr. Jimmy as I write upon this page

my hands they shake with the delicate rage

my amplifier has no aim for all that it plays

sounds terrific to them not me.

Dig down, dig down the lost and found,

the Beatles devoured all there was to be found,

nothing green can gather on a rolling stone dig down....

Dig on down....

To whom it may concern for all Hendrix hath burned

the rockets red glare the bombs bursting in air

my Fender is just a painted board

and if I light it on fire I become such a ****ing bore.

Black Francis Black Francis

you're the last **********er out,

grabbing all the good stuff and leaving no doubt

that if rock and roll dies it's not my fault

I did the best with the leftovers that I've got.

nothing green can gather on a rolling stone,

The Beatles devoured all there was to be found dig down....

Dig on down....

All of the juice had been sucked out

Before Mel Bay taught his children to play

So as we climb upon the rotting corpse

Stick it in once again see if the blood will course....

Chuck Berry Chuck Berry

you wrote the only original songs

some white boys stole 'em we all still sing along

Chuck Berry sing to us one more time

before Fred Biscuit freezes everybody's mind

the Beatles devoured all there was to be found,

nothing green can gather on a rolling stone dig down....

Dig on down....

Anyone else have this problem. You sit down to download some music and all of a sudden you cant think of anything you want to download? If I'm away from the comp I can think of 1000 bands and artists i want to hear; as soon as I sit down to do it I draw a blank

any reccomendations would be appreciated:

I have recently downloaded the following so maybe you can see some of the music I like

Muddy Waters

Howlin Wolf

Jack Johnson

Dave matthews

my morning Jacket

the avett brothers

ray charles

Bill withers

the violent femmes

Robert Johnson

Sonny Boy Williamson

Im pretty open to anything but I just cant seem to think of anything I really want.

hootie and the blowfish (they even remade "use me" by bill withers)

john mayer (very similar to jack johnson)

Definitely check out the Black Keys like another poster mentioned. Killer two man band.

+1

New Crowes is awesome. Saw them at chastain park a month ago New stuff IMO is as great/good as 1st 2 albums. That said the Brothers of a feather cd is great also..... (brothers of a feather are Chris and Rich Robinson from the Crowes alone and nothing but guitar and vocals.. very personal performance..

New Crowes..

Brothers Of a Feather

Driving Wheel

Edited by JaGz

+1

New Crowes is awesome. Saw them at chastain park a month ago New stuff IMO is as great/good as 1st 2 albums. That said the Brothers of a feather cd is great also..... (brothers of a feather are Chris and Rich Robinson from the Crowes alone and nothing but guitar and vocals.. very personal performance..

New Crowes..

Brothers Of a Feather

Driving Wheel

got the black keys.. very cool

i cant seem to find the black crowes new stuff anywhere. perhaps i am looking in the wrong places

also just encase you didn't know The Crowes are releasing a DVD of them making the new albums in late Nov I think.....

Cabin Fever DVD promo

got the black keys.. very cool

i cant seem to find the black crowes new stuff anywhere. perhaps i am looking in the wrong places

Not sure what you mean by cant find. if you mean to hear then

but the album is worth the buy, you actually get 2 albums as there is a free down loadable 2nd album with before the frost.

here are a few others nothing better than live hand held recordings thought.

not my vid but from the concert at atlata close to where i was

all i can find ATM but both are really good albums and right now its hard to find one let alone 2 for the price of 1....

Check these bands out.

1. Place of Skulls

2. Sasquatch

3. Spirit Caravan

4. The Sword

5. Valis

6. Wolfmother

7. Stone Garden

8. Nebula

9. Grand Magus

10. Spiritual Beggers

11. Dinosaur Jr.

12. Dead Meadow

13. Clutch

14. Band of Horses

All are available on eMusic (A lot cheaper than I-tunes)

Not sure what you mean by cant find. if you mean to hear then

but the album is worth the buy, you actually get 2 albums as there is a free down loadable 2nd album with before the frost.

here are a few others nothing better than live hand held recordings thought.

not my vid but from the concert at atlata close to where i was

all i can find ATM but both are really good albums and right now its hard to find one let alone 2 for the price of 1....

The last place love lives is by far my favorite song on Before the Frost and IMO, one of the best song's they've ever written.