Why does Lofton play special....

How are you risking injury moreso than on any other play? Should we just sit our stars the whole game? That way they will never get hurt.

What good is a star player if you keep them from playing? What good will their playing do if you don't put the best Special Teams you can field in the game?

Are you saying all the teams that put in "Hands" packages for onside kicks are fools for risking their players?

You play to win the game in all phases.

Edited by Drathdon

teams?? seems you wouldnt have one of your star players on special teams.....is this normal or am i just an idiot???

You only have 53 guys on the sidelines and half of them are offensive players. You want the best people on the field at all times and the best tacklers on kickoff's and the punting unit. Having one or several of your starting LB's on special teams is not unusual. Every team has to do it or else they would be terrible on ST's. You can't put your second string defense on the field when you don't have to.

Guest The Masked Falcon

I'm with those who say it doesn't make sense....and to say that playing on special teams is no different than playing on any other unit shows a fundamental lack of understanding of the dynamics of professional football.....

Where else but on special teams do you have players constantly running at high speed over a significant amount of yardage.....thus increasing the impact when the players do collide?

No, I was watching the game with a pal Monday night and when we saw Lofton hurt on the ground after the punt return we both looked at each other and said "WTF? Why is Lofton on the punt coverage team?"

I'm with those who say it doesn't make sense....and to say that playing on special teams is no different than playing on any other unit shows a fundamental lack of understanding of the dynamics of professional football.....

Where else but on special teams do you have players constantly running at high speed over a significant amount of yardage.....thus increasing the impact when the players do collide?

No, I was watching the game with a pal Monday night and when we saw Lofton hurt on the ground after the punt return we both looked at each other and said "WTF? Why is Lofton on the punt coverage team?"

lol

I'm sorry, but you lack the understanding of the dynamics of professional football if you disagree with Lofton's desire to go out and hit as many people as possible.

Good for Curtis

and to say that playing on special teams is no different than playing on any other unit shows a fundamental lack of understanding of the dynamics of professional football.....

Must be the fundamental lack of understanding you see comes from your lack of knowledge, or you would not say that.

Special teams has many parts. While there are gunners, most parts of the job mainly consist of containing lanes to provent runbacks. The use of Starting LBs to hold center contain and shoot gaps, essentially their job on every running play, is done by every team in the league. The fact that you do not notice it, or know about it, would be that lack of knowledge I mention above.

Why do you feel that a punter can go out there and try to stop a runback, but a LB who handles the pile every play is crazy and risking injury.... so much more so than they would be on a regular play?

I dont want to see Lofton playing any special teams, he is the leader of our defense. Its not like Ryan plays any special teams <_<

True.

But Ryan isn't a KillerGorillaManBearPig like Lofton.

I don't mind Lofton being on ST. We need play makers in all facets of the game and Lofton is a skull cracker.

Until the back-ups can take over and spare him the time, they need him on the field.

I personally think it is because Lofton is OCD and refuses to be off the field if the Falcons don't have possession of the rock.

"No have ball?!? Curtis Smash!!!!"

I dont want to see Lofton playing any special teams, he is the leader of our defense. Its not like Ryan plays any special teams dry.gif

Difference between Lofton and Ryan?

Lofton is a fast and absolutely monsterous hitter that plays MLB.

Ryan is a tall, slow, and not a hard hitting guy that plays the QB position.

PS. Ryan has a 72 million dollar contract with 28+ guaranteed.

Difference between Lofton and Ryan?

Lofton is a fast and absolutely monsterous hitter that plays MLB.

Ryan is a tall, slow, and not a hard hitting guy that plays the QB position.

PS. Ryan has a 72 million dollar contract with 28+ guaranteed.

Why cant Ryan or Turner have a go at punt returns, get Ryan to do laterals and Turner some space, lol j/k i see your point but my point is more that we need Loften to play defense as he is the leader of the defense and not getting hurt running downfeild as fast as he can running into others running as fast as they can, its gonna end in disaster and isnt worht the risk. Surely we have 2nd/3rd string guys who would fill in Loftens role quite well