A Question from a Saints Fan (No Smack Here)

Alright first off, let me say a few things:

1. I'm not here to talk trash, didn't come before the game to predict anything. I didn't come here to gloat now

2. I'm not a Saint Bandwagon fan. I'm 29 and i've been a Saint Fans since 8th Grade. I've been Through Mora Sr. last few years, Ditka, Jim Haslett, Billy Joes and Ricky in a wedding dress, so don't question my Saints cred.

3. I, of course, hate the Falcons, its natural. I got so sick of seeing my Saints lose to them. I had to watch that Stupid Dirty Bird dance when you had the First Jamal Anderson, Watching a 44 year old Steve Deberg beat my saints, Knowning our management let Bobby Hebert and Morten Anderson sign with the Falcons and then have them come back and beat my Saints, and finally watching Micheal Vick shred our defense. I have legitimate Saints fan hatred. Your a rival, our oldest division rival left.

4. I'm not from New Orleans, i'm originally from Mississippi, and i now live in Mobile, AL.

Still i have to ask, why does any grown person think its acceptable to use a Natural Disaster as a way to talk smack? I've skimmed some threads on this board and on others and i just can't understand it. During the O6 season, there were signs in Chicago stating they were going to finish what Katrina started. 3 years later, and people still do this.

Look i'm not from New Orleans, but i am from the Mississippi Gulf Coast. New Orleans got flooding cause the levees broke. WE ACTUALLY GOT HIT. Regardless, i don't see this as being acceptable to anyone that has any intelligence or decency.

I'm fully aware that there are idiot Saints fans. I'm surrounded by them. Many still have there Brett Farve Green Bay jerseys (its a Southern Miss, Gulf Coast thing) in their closet. There are plenty of Bandwagon fans, but no matter how banal and moronic they are, its still not right to use something that killed thousands of people as smack. There are also some of us who follow our team with a passion i can honestly say i doubt any team can match. We've been through HORRIBLE teams, and we are still here, we've been through more than one hurricane, and were are still here. And if the Saints are bad for the next 10 years, we'll still be here.

I seriously don't think i'm going to change anyone's mind here. The only reason I've posted this thread on your board is if there is any team that has hatred for the Saints more, then i can't think of it. So I'm asking you to sett aside team hatred for a second and ask yourself,is it really ok to make Katrina References when talking football?

Saint Matthew (AKA Matt_from_Mobile)

PS Again, I'm not here to get into an argument, and yeah i know that it will be incredibly tough to win @ATL so please don't turn this thread into an argument about MNF or the next game. if you don't want to address the question then don't. I'm okay with myself. I've got a job, wife and a great family. I don't have to justify my existence through being a football fan, so maybe i just don't have the "passion" it would take to use something like a hurricane or earthquake to talk smack, but whatever. I KNOW some of you are better than that. I've been to Atlanta several times, and each was a good experience. Anyway, good luck the rest of the way and i hope you are injury free and play well. Just not well enough to catch us.

Later.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot speak for my fellow falcons fans only for myself. I save lives for a living. And, although I DO hate Saints and you are right it is a HUGE and UGLY rivalry. I could and would NEVER condone to or make light of what happened with Katrina. So, I am sorry for any insensitive reference that anyone may have made because I do not back that kind of talk. On another note...see you Dec. 13th in the Dome. It is sure to be a good rivalry game!

Edited by 1falconsgal

I couldn't even tell you friend. Why people would make light of a natural disaster that

killed people and left many more homeless is way beyond me. But i really, can't say for

sure, that it limited to insensitive Falcon fans, maybe other divisional rivals too?

I agree, i never made fun of katrina either, and that troll that was here putting up all those threads theres a special place in he-ll for his punk azz. As a city I've loved New Orleans its fun place to go. But other then that I Still HATE the saints, its old fashioned hate from being in the NFC WEST. ;)

Oh, its not just Falcon fans, and i don't really mind falcon fans. you are supposed to hate the Saints, its the laws of nature.

Thanks for those who have responded so far. This isn't a sympathy plea. (outside of very little property damage, my family and i came through Katrina well.) I'm just curious. I don't remember people using 9/11 as smack talk fodder to the Jets or Giants fans. Maybe there was, i don't know.

I really do hate the Falcons, but its football. Not personal. Wishing all of you a great holiday season, and post season. (just as a wild card though :D)

Oh, its not just Falcon fans, and i don't really mind falcon fans. you are supposed to hate the Saints, its the laws of nature.

Thanks for those who have responded so far. This isn't a sympathy plea. (outside of very little property damage, my family and i came through Katrina well.) I'm just curious. I don't remember people using 9/11 as smack talk fodder to the Jets or Giants fans. Maybe there was, i don't know.

I really do hate the Falcons, but its football. Not personal. Wishing all of you a great holiday season, and post season. (just as a wild card though :D)

Like y'all need it (Saints), thanks for the well wishes but i still effing hate

the Saints...

Geaux Falcons!

1. I'm not here to talk trash, didn't come before the game to predict anything. I didn't come here to gloat now

2. I'm not a Saint Bandwagon fan. I'm 29 and i've been a Saint Fans since 8th Grade. I've been Through Mora Sr. last few years, Ditka, Jim Haslett, Billy Joes and Ricky in a wedding dress, so don't question my Saints cred.

3. I, of course, hate the Falcons, its natural. I got so sick of seeing my Saints lose to them. I had to watch that Stupid Dirty Bird dance when you had the First Jamal Anderson, Watching a 44 year old Steve Deberg beat my saints, Knowning our management let Bobby Hebert and Morten Anderson sign with the Falcons and then have them come back and beat my Saints, and finally watching Micheal Vick shred our defense. I have legitimate Saints fan hatred. Your a rival, our oldest division rival left.

4. I'm not from New Orleans, i'm originally from Mississippi, and i now live in Mobile, AL.

Still i have to ask, why does any grown person think its acceptable to use a Natural Disaster as a way to talk smack? I've skimmed some threads on this board and on others and i just can't understand it. During the O6 season, there were signs in Chicago stating they were going to finish what Katrina started. 3 years later, and people still do this.

Look i'm not from New Orleans, but i am from the Mississippi Gulf Coast. New Orleans got flooding cause the levees broke. WE ACTUALLY GOT HIT. Regardless, i don't see this as being acceptable to anyone that has any intelligence or decency.

I'm fully aware that there are idiot Saints fans. I'm surrounded by them. Many still have there Brett Farve Green Bay jerseys (its a Southern Miss, Gulf Coast thing) in their closet. There are plenty of Bandwagon fans, but no matter how banal and moronic they are, its still not right to use something that killed thousands of people as smack. There are also some of us who follow our team with a passion i can honestly say i doubt any team can match. We've been through HORRIBLE teams, and we are still here, we've been through more than one hurricane, and were are still here. And if the Saints are bad for the next 10 years, we'll still be here.

I seriously don't think i'm going to change anyone's mind here. The only reason I've posted this thread on your board is if there is any team that has hatred for the Saints more, then i can't think of it. So I'm asking you to sett aside team hatred for a second and ask yourself,is it really ok to make Katrina References when talking football?

PS Again, I'm not here to get into an argument, and yeah i know that it will be incredibly tough to win @ATL so please don't turn this thread into an argument about MNF or the next game. if you don't want to address the question then don't. I'm okay with myself. I've got a job, wife and a great family. I don't have to justify my existence through being a football fan, so maybe i just don't have the "passion" it would take to use something like a hurricane or earthquake to talk smack, but whatever. I KNOW some of you are better than that. I've been to Atlanta several times, and each was a good experience. Anyway, good luck the rest of the way and i hope you are injury free and play well. Just not well enough to catch us.

Later.

Please don't assume that most Falcon fans would think of making fun of a tragedy. There are people in every walk of life who have no sense of empathy, sympathy or compassion and find making fun of tragedies okay.

I blame a lot of it on comedians and the media. For some reason, they think it's okay for a comedian to make light of a tragedy. Whether it's a murder, rape, natural disaster or act of terrorism - they seem to feel they have carte blanche to make jabs at it. Young people grow up hearing it and seeing it.

They think it's okay to make a joke - because "it is just a joke". They don't understand that real people suffered real pain and loss and that it is NOT okay to keep reminding the survivors of that pain.

I apologize for any implication that we as Falcon fans think it's okay. Most of us do not and we call those who do it to the mat pretty quick when we see it.

well good question about race. If a person pulls for an NFL team that is mostly African-Americans, and then uses Racial slurs, how dumb is that? That's one of the fears i have in regards to the Katrina. Is it ok in some places to use Katrina because most of the people affected in New Orleans were black? Who knows. I can't really apologize for the so called Saints fan that was being racist, cause i don't want to believe he really represents me, but i'll do it anyway. I'm sorry some ignorant redneck used a racial term to insult anyone on this board.

well good question about race. If a person pulls for an NFL team that is mostly African-Americans, and then uses Racial slurs, how dumb is that? That's one of the fears i have in regards to the Katrina. Is it ok in some places to use Katrina because most of the people affected in New Orleans were black? Who knows. I can't really apologize for the so called Saints fan that was being racist, cause i don't want to believe he really represents me, but i'll do it anyway. I'm sorry some ignorant redneck used a racial term to insult anyone on this board.

I believe in my heart that was a factor in the slow response time from the Feds.

You don't need to apologize. Same way I don't expect my fellow Falcons fans to do so for me. This is a sports messageboard, designed for people with thick skin.

To the OP:

If you look back you will find that most Falcon Fans didn't approve of the Katrina bashing. Most of us realize what you went through and really hated it.

We went through a similar event last month. It was not good. Trust me.

Anyway, keep going forward.

Oh, and the Aint's suck and will get beat down in the Dome. Maybe even by the Panties Sunday.

I never used it and can honestly say I only laughed at one and that one was fairly tame.

It had a thread title of new concessions at the Superdome or something to that effect

and inside was this infamous picture

katrina-beer-loot.jpg

yeah but your avatar kicks arse.

Edited by cargojon

You guys are way better than Eagles' fans when it comes to Katrina remarks. Over there, every other post talked about Katrina this, flood that, hurricane this, etc. Then they had the nerve to ban me after I made a Jim Johnson comment. :blink:

You Saints guys can stick around as long as you like, if it means we don't get any Eagles fans.

I've been a Falcon fan since 1968. And yes, I always hated the Saints because of the rivalry.

But it's really been more of a general hate, not a specific one. So, don't read the boards here

thinking that all Atl fans think like each other or agree with everything that is written. I for

one have other teams that I pull for because I like certain players. I'll catch lots of grief on

here but I'm actually going to pull for the saints if they make it to the SB for the very reasons

that you mention (Katrina). As long as we beat the C@#p out of the saints twice a year which will

not happen now, the best we will do now is split, I can see myself pulling for them to win.

I always hated the bears but Walter Payton was my all time favorite player. I was a Bear fan for

that one SB.

I really don't see the problem, and that's because I don't see anyone celebrating the death and destruction suffered in New Orleans. All I see is a metaphorical reference to what the opposition will do to the Saints football team on the field. There are of course idiots that take it too far. The first time I remember seeing that was in the Alamo dome, when someone had a sign that said Hurricane Vick Category 7. Wow was there an uproar on this board.

I have survived hurricanes, having lived in South Fla, they aren't fun but football is. There is a university down there that calls its team the "Hurricanes." One would think that if references to hurricanes were so offensive to areas affected by one, that an area devastated by Andrew would have abandoned that name, but they haven't. It wasn't long after that game in the Alamo dome that I began to wonder what if the Hurricanes played LSU, how offensive would that be? What are the chances, but those two teams ended up meeting later that season.

Hurricanes are a natural occurence, deliberate killings fueled by hatred are not so the reference to 9-11 doesn't wash. Besides most sports team names connote some type of power and we all know that a hurricane is powerful. This is why you dont see names like the Chicago Cream Puffs or KC, Kitty Cats.

Even though I haven't used a Katrina reference, because I rarely talk smack I don't really have a problem with it because it's nothing more than a metaphor, if I thought that anyone was making light of the death and destruction then I would be against it.

Later.

I want to answer this one. My family is Mississippi and Saints fans. Lets see...Indianola, Ruleville, Greenwood, Greenville, Drew, Jackson, Hattiesburg, and Mound Bayou...these are just a few, lets just say mostly Sunflower County.

The first and really ONLY time that I have heard that term about Katrina being used seriously and in person was from a Mississippian from Hattiesburg who got hit by Katrina and came to stay with me.

***k New Orleans. The city and the disgusting people. I never thought like this until I heard "who dat". Anyone who would want to associate themselves with such trashy slang becomes trash. Anyone willing to sound so grossly uneducated deserves nothing, absolutely nothing in this world.