Chevis Jackson

atljbo

Is it me or has Chevis Jackson been a disappointment.... I did not understand why Chevis was benched as the NB at the beginning of the year... I thought the guy was going to be one of the best NB's in the league this season...

Its a chance that Chris Owens will play some at NB.

Owens has quietly, been a slight disappointment for me too. I know he is a rookie, but with the terrible play of our CBs, I don't see how he hasn't seen a snap yet.

I thought he might get a chance at NB or Dime Back, but he hasn't. It also concerns me that he isn't able to beat out Chevis Jackson who obviously is struggling.

Owens has quietly, been a slight disappointment for me too. I know he is a rookie, but with the terrible play of our CBs, I don't see how he hasn't seen a snap yet.

I thought he might get a chance at NB or Dime Back, but he hasn't. It also concerns me that he isn't able to beat out Chevis Jackson who obviously is struggling.

How can you be disappointed in Owens ? ..You cant be disappointed if you dont know what the guy can do.. I understand you to see the guy play but coach smith and BVG will play whoever they feel comfy playing..... That's like being disappointed at Decoud for not playing last year...... Even tho Lawyer Milloy was getting burnt ... It just wasn't Decoud time.

Owens will get his chance tho.

We don't play dime. But Owens is just a rookie, maybe they think he's not ready...

How can you be disappointed in Owens ? ..You cant be disappointed if you dont know what the guy can do.. I understand you to see the guy play but coach smith and BVG will play whoever they feel comfy playing..... That's like being disappointed at Decoud for not playing last year...... Even tho Lawyer Milloy was getting burnt ... It just wasn't Decoud time.

Owens will get his chance tho.

If Owens was showing much in practice he would've been given some snaps in the game by now. Our cbs have played so badly, throughout the season, that anyone decent would be getting some time. Owens hasn't been and that is a little disappointing, but he was a 3rd rounder and not a 1st or second.

Lawyer was money last year. Don't let the playoff game ruin it for you.

I still wonder what Emmitt Thomas has "done for us lately". Yeah we don't have a great talent pool at CB but isn't there something that he can do? Like get Owens ready? How many other corners play as a starter in this league? They went to camp just like Owens and Jackson. Jacksons been disappointment. Owens.....will he ever be good? who knows?

Edited by Zenduke

Jackson's "benching" wasn't his doing. It was simple. Our coaching staff wanted to get B. Williams on the field as much as possible.

Think about it, with a 1st year starter at FS, a young SS, and a couple of babies at CB, we needed some veteran leadership in the secondary.

Jackson played well there last year and he'll continue to play well there for the remainder of the season.

Eventually, as in a couple of years from now, I see our secondary as DeCoud/Moore at FS/SS, and Hill/Owens at CB, with Jackson at the nickel.

I still wonder what Emmitt Thomas has "done for us lately". Yeah we don't have a great talent pool at CB but isn't there something that he can do? Like get Owens ready? How many other corners play as a starter in this league? They went to camp just like Owens and Jackson. Jacksons been disappointment. Owens.....will he ever be good? who knows?

I've been thinking about that as well. Since Thomas has been here, our dbs haven't been world beaters really. Asides from houston who has he developed. Please don't say Dhall because he is a good pump fake away from getting burned. Emmit Thomas impact is starting to remind me of when we had that former Olineman coaching our receivers. Man he was bad.

If Owens was showing much in practice he would've been given some snaps in the game by now. Our cbs have played so badly, throughout the season, that anyone decent would be getting some time. Owens hasn't been and that is a little disappointing, but he was a 3rd rounder and not a 1st or second.

Lawyer was money last year. Don't let the playoff game ruin it for you.

Exactly. If he was doing anything at all, he would have gotten a few snaps by now...... that is all I am saying. Our CB group has consistently been bad. I wouldn't think Owens could be much worse.

Maybe he will come on later, but I still am disappointed he hasn't gotten on the field with how bad our CBs have been.

I've been thinking about that as well. Since Thomas has been here, our dbs haven't been world beaters really. Asides from houston who has he developed. Please don't say Dhall because he is a good pump fake away from getting burned. Emmit Thomas impact is starting to remind me of when we had that former Olineman coaching our receivers. Man he was bad.

I hated George Stewart too. But Alvin Reynolds is our db coach...

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/People/Coaches/Alvin_Reynolds.aspx

Alvin Reynolds begins his second season as Defensive Backs Coach with the Atlanta Falcons after spending the previous five seasons (2003-07) in the same role with the Jacksonville Jaguars and Falcons Head Coach Mike Smith..

In his first season with the Falcons, the secondary recorded 76 passes defensed and 10 interceptions. The team’s 76 passes defensed rank eighth all-time in Falcons history and were the most since 2004 (80). Second-year cornerback Chris Houston recorded a career and team-high 16 passes defensed, while newcomer S Erik Coleman logged a team-high three interceptions and posted a career-best 127 tackles with Reynolds help. Rookie cornerback Chevis Jackson also contributed with 33 tackles, five passes defensed and one interception.

During his tenure with the Jaguars, Reynolds guided a secondary that ranked fourth in the AFC after totaling 20 interceptions (tying a team record) in 2007, led by rookie safety Reggie Nelson’s five picks. In 2006, cornerback Rashean Mathis led the club with a team-record eight interceptions en route to a Pro Bowl bid as Jacksonville set a franchise high with 20 INTs.

Jacksonville’s defensive unit ranked fourth in overall defense from 2003-07 allowing an average of only 296.6 yards per game. The unit also ranked third in opponents points allowed (16.1) and fifth in rushing defense (99.3) from 2003-06. Working under the direction of Jaguars Head Coach Jack Del Rio and Defensive Coordinator Mike Smith, Reynolds and the secondary were part of a defense that allowed 283.6 yards per game in 2006, which ranked second in the NFL and set a franchise record. Jacksonville also allowed an NFL-low 11 points per game on their home turf.

Reynolds holds 25 years of previous coaching experience, 16 of which came in the NFL. Prior to joining the Jaguars, he served as a Defensive Assistant for the Carolina Panthers for four seasons (1999-2002). He was present with the Baltimore Ravens for its first three seasons in franchise history (1996-98) as the Secondary Coach and started his NFL career with the Denver Broncos (1993-95).....

I hated George Stewart too. But Alvin Reynolds is our db coach...

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/People/Coaches/Alvin_Reynolds.aspx

Alvin Reynolds begins his second season as Defensive Backs Coach with the Atlanta Falcons after spending the previous five seasons (2003-07) in the same role with the Jacksonville Jaguars and Falcons Head Coach Mike Smith..

In his first season with the Falcons, the secondary recorded 76 passes defensed and 10 interceptions. The team’s 76 passes defensed rank eighth all-time in Falcons history and were the most since 2004 (80). Second-year cornerback Chris Houston recorded a career and team-high 16 passes defensed, while newcomer S Erik Coleman logged a team-high three interceptions and posted a career-best 127 tackles with Reynolds help. Rookie cornerback Chevis Jackson also contributed with 33 tackles, five passes defensed and one interception.

During his tenure with the Jaguars, Reynolds guided a secondary that ranked fourth in the AFC after totaling 20 interceptions (tying a team record) in 2007, led by rookie safety Reggie Nelson’s five picks. In 2006, cornerback Rashean Mathis led the club with a team-record eight interceptions en route to a Pro Bowl bid as Jacksonville set a franchise high with 20 INTs.

Jacksonville’s defensive unit ranked fourth in overall defense from 2003-07 allowing an average of only 296.6 yards per game. The unit also ranked third in opponents points allowed (16.1) and fifth in rushing defense (99.3) from 2003-06. Working under the direction of Jaguars Head Coach Jack Del Rio and Defensive Coordinator Mike Smith, Reynolds and the secondary were part of a defense that allowed 283.6 yards per game in 2006, which ranked second in the NFL and set a franchise record. Jacksonville also allowed an NFL-low 11 points per game on their home turf.

Reynolds holds 25 years of previous coaching experience, 16 of which came in the NFL. Prior to joining the Jaguars, he served as a Defensive Assistant for the Carolina Panthers for four seasons (1999-2002). He was present with the Baltimore Ravens for its first three seasons in franchise history (1996-98) as the Secondary Coach and started his NFL career with the Denver Broncos (1993-95).....

ok thanks

I don't recall Chevy playing that bad against the Aints... :unsure:

i remember him missing a tackle on a TD run but he laid the wood a little bit before that. i'm not really too mad at any of our corners after that last game. brees was making madden throws out there and the saints were making stupid catches. 1 handed grabs, leaping out of their shoes, catching balls falling out of bounds barely getting tippy toes and elbows in. 9 times out of 10 a lot of those balls aren't caught.

We seriously was looking at Glover Quin hard last year before the draft. Now he is starting as a rook for the

Texans. He was a 4th rd pick. I'm wondering if we should've went with him over Owens. But it's still too early

to give up on Owens. This is just his first year.

i remember him missing a tackle on a TD run but he laid the wood a little bit before that. i'm not really too mad at any of our corners after that last game. brees was making madden throws out there and the saints were making stupid catches. 1 handed grabs, leaping out of their shoes, catching balls falling out of bounds barely getting tippy toes and elbows in. 9 times out of 10 a lot of those balls aren't caught.

I agree.