I think this shows Turner's problem this year

Brewcrew

I've heard this mentioned in passing, but we've played more 3-4 defenses already this year than all of last year. And 3-4 defenses tend to be better against the run. Here are the numbers (I left out SF since they run a "hybrid").

vs 3-4 defenses (MIA, NE, DAL)

o 171 yds

o 55 att

o 57 yds/game

o 3.1 yds/carry

o 2 td

o 1 fum

vs 4-3 (CAR, CHI, NO)

o 286 yds

o 61 att

o 95 yds/gm

o 4.6 yds/att

o 3 td

o 2 fum

The good news is, the only 3-4 defense we have left on our schedule is the Jets. Hopefully he can get his avg up closer to the 4.6 mark and avg at least 1 TD/GM.

He then just has to cut out the fumbles, and he has a history of protecting the football, so I'm not too worried about that.

You know, this is strange too. Considering he came from an AFC team that ran a 3-4 defense in practice everyday, competing against more 3-4 teams most every week vs. the base 4-3 that is more prevalent in the NFC.

Things that make you go 'hmmmm'.

It would affect the linemen more than the RB.

You know, this is strange too. Considering he came from an AFC team that ran a 3-4 defense in practice everyday, competing against more 3-4 teams most every week vs. the base 4-3 that is more prevalent in the NFC.

Things that make you go 'hmmmm'.

It makes me think that it is more on the O-Line than Turner.

Also, I think Snellings success against some of the same teams has come from teams backing off the line and not concentrating on him like they do Turner.

I've heard this mentioned in passing, but we've played more 3-4 defenses already this year than all of last year. And 3-4 defenses tend to be better against the run. Here are the numbers (I left out SF since they run a "hybrid").

vs 3-4 defenses (MIA, NE, DAL)

o 171 yds

o 55 att

o 57 yds/game

o 3.1 yds/carry

o 2 td

o 1 fum

vs 4-3 (CAR, CHI, NO)

o 286 yds

o 61 att

o 95 yds/gm

o 4.6 yds/att

o 3 td

o 2 fum

The good news is, the only 3-4 defense we have left on our schedule is the Jets. Hopefully he can get his avg up closer to the 4.6 mark and avg at least 1 TD/GM.

He then just has to cut out the fumbles, and he has a history of protecting the football, so I'm not too worried about that.

I agree with this assessment as well. I've felt this way for a while.

Now - for the rest of the season - we should do well in the run game against the 3-4 and I think our defense will have to show up big in the Jets game and we might be able to squeeze a win out there.

True. But i think it has been an issue with him not hitting the holes in a few of those games. For whatever reason, he just tends to play better against the 4-3 defense. Maybe its got something to do with the blocking schemes and the O-Lines adjustment to the 3-4 gaps. Either way, im just happy he's found a stride and hope he keeps it going.