State of the franchise

Old fan

There have been a lot of threads started over the past 24 hours offering many theories on what is going on with the team. Blame has been placed on the heads of one player or another, one coach or another, or one official or another. Conclusions have ranged from "We'll be fine" to "We are doomed, same old Falcons."

So, where DO we stand seven games into the season?

First, keep in mind we are only 24 games removed from the unmitigated disaster that was Vick/Petrino. We are only a season and a half from the point where Blank overhauled the front office, installed a new coaching staff and flushed many of the previous regime's players.

Youth and inexperience is our biggest problem as well as our greatest hope. Lack of depth is our second biggest problem. Both will be corrected with the application of time. Our roster has 32 players with four years or fewer experience and the "system" has been in place less than two seasons.

Ryan is too young to be doing what he is doing. As exciting as he has been, the position of NFL quarterback needs several seasons to master. Time will give Ryan the experience he needs. Time will give us back Douglas and Jerry. Time will give us additional drafts and additional depth.

This franchise is not being thrown together to make one run for the title but is being developed to be a force for years to come.

Last year made us all set our standards and hopes high. Next year should begin the payout we all are expecting. This year should be the season we break the back-to-back curse. If we do that, we will have been successful.

thanks old fan i have been telling my brother this and the "fans" on here the same but it seems like every time i post something like this i never get a response/view so i stop. people fail to realize that we just got back good with a lucky draft. (those kind of drafts dont happen often where every pick contributes to the extent like ours did in 2 years) i am happy where we are sitting. give us two years and two drafts and full health and we can be one of the top 3 teams in the league

Obviously the state of the franchise is not perfect as of this moment. Heck, if it was that would be completely awesome, cause we would be a dominant force in the NFL that has what was it "32 players [on the roster] with four years or fewer experience". That would be totally awesome if we could be the ones 7-0 and the saints 4-3. Sadly, these past few games versus the falcons and saints have been growing pains for the falcons. I certainly have faith in matty ice and the rest of the young falcons crew; they will find their way into the playoffs again this year. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the falcons will pull off another winning season for back to back winning seasons. I think i am right in saying that have doubts that the falcons could make it to the super bowl. I am not giving up hope in the falcons, but the falcons are still growing, and while that turnaround from the whole vick debacle was absolutely marvelous, miraculous even, I still think the falcons have a bit more growing to do before they can make it to the super bowl and win. I would give it roughly 3 more years before a legitimate super bowl run can be led by the falcons. I will stand by the falcons every step of the way though if they can step it up a notch and make a super bowl run this year. I would definitely be all for that, thats fo sho

thanks old fan i have been telling my brother this and the "fans" on here the same but it seems like every time i post something like this i never get a response/view so i stop. people fail to realize that we just got back good with a lucky draft. (those kind of drafts dont happen often where every pick contributes to the extent like ours did in 2 years) i am happy where we are sitting. give us two years and two drafts and full health and we can be one of the top 3 teams in the league

Agreed. Seems like the most popular topics are the ones calling out some player, coach or management. Positive, objective threads have become fewer and far between on this board the past few years. I'm surprised this thread got four replies.

If you want instant gratification, then you have all the reason in the world to be negative. If you are willing to have patience, I think the reward will come in the form of a team that will be competitive for years to come.

There have been a lot of threads started over the past 24 hours offering many theories on what is going on with the team. Blame has been placed on the heads of one player or another, one coach or another, or one official or another. Conclusions have ranged from "We'll be fine" to "We are doomed, same old Falcons."

First, keep in mind we are only 24 games removed from the unmitigated disaster that was Vick/Petrino. We are only a season and a half from the point where Blank overhauled the front office, installed a new coaching staff and flushed many of the previous regime's players.

Youth and inexperience is our biggest problem as well as our greatest hope. Lack of depth is our second biggest problem. Both will be corrected with the application of time. Our roster has 32 players with four years or fewer experience and the "system" has been in place less than two seasons.

Ryan is too young to be doing what he is doing. As exciting as he has been, the position of NFL quarterback needs several seasons to master. Time will give Ryan the experience he needs. Time will give us back Douglas and Jerry. Time will give us additional drafts and additional depth.

This franchise is not being thrown together to make one run for the title but is being developed to be a force for years to come.

Last year made us all set our standards and hopes high. Next year should begin the payout we all are expecting. This year should be the season we break the back-to-back curse. If we do that, we will have been successful.

Great post. +1.

The state of the franchise is just fine. The Falcons are a team that is being built to be a force in the years to come.

We have one of the top GMs and top coaching staffs in the league. That is the most important part of being a contender every single year. The state of the franchise is fantastic.

As for this year, in particular, the hardest part of our schedule is over, and we still managed to come out of it with a winning record. We lost to the #2, #6 and #7 team in entire NFL at their house. We absolutely dominated the 49'ers in their house. The same 49'ers who almost beat the 7-0 Colts at their house kept Peyton Manning out of the endzone and held him to a 86.0 passer rating. We also, with any one of several plays going differently, could have beat the #2, 7-0 Saints in their house.

We should at least be able to get 10-11 wins this year, which should be good enough for a wildcard berth. Unless the Saints start their losing streak sooner than later (it will come, eventually), then it could be good enough to win the division. It's a long season folks. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Time will give teams more time to put Ryan and that entire roster in a losing state where it belongs..

The more tape the better, especially when your losing and have no real depth.

If you actually believed that, you wouldn't be here. I bet you don't spend alot of time on the Bucs boards commenting about how bad Josh Freeman is going to be. Yet there are Saints crawling all over this board, because they've seen how good our really young team is, and we almost beat you in your house, and you are scared of just how good this team is going to be for years to come.

Very well said. Great post. I can't help but believe that we are doing just fine. Given where we have come from, and where we are now, I have no choice but to be optimistic.

Great post. +1

The grit and determination our team showed monday night is a window to the future of this team and the franchise as a whole. We are a solid NFL organization, and i believe that if our roster was in full health as invisioned in the preseason, we would be even stronger. Call me a homer, but i dont see many negatives with the Falcons. There is only the fun and excitement of watching this team grow and gel and get better and better as time passes. It will pay off, and then we can enjoy being on top for many years to come.