Matt Ryan not happy with his play

Matt Ryan not happy with his play

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

FLOWERY BRANCH -- Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan has thrown seven interceptions over the past three games, the worst stretch of his brief NFL career.

"I've got to play better," Ryan said. "As a quarterback, you've got to protect the football better, and I haven't done a great job of that the last couple of weeks."

Ryan completed 19 of 42 passes for 289 yards and one touchdown against the Saints. He had a lowly passer rating of 46.6, his third consecutive sub-70 rating.

Ryan's first interception was returned 38 yards by Jabari Greer for a touchdown.

"It was just a poor decision," Ryan said. "I have to get rid of the football in that situation."

The second one killed a potential go-ahead scoring drive in the fourth quarter, when a pass intended for Tony Gonzalez was tipped by Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma and intercepted by Tracy Porter.

"It's frustrating because we felt like we had that opportunity," Ryan said.

His last interception came on a desperation heave with three seconds left in the game.

Falcons coach Mike Smith stands behind his quarterback.

"I'm not concerned at all," Smith said. "Statistically it hasn't been the best games over the last three games. But again, you can't make that judgment until after 16 games."

However, Smith did see some issues with the Falcons' passing attack.

"It looked like we had opportunities to get the ball down the field, but we weren't able to do it," Smith said.

DeCoud a playmaker

Safety Thomas DeCoud's hit on Saints quarterback Drew Brees that led to Kroy Biermann's touchdown was an option-blitz.

He was in man coverage with a running back. If the running back stayed in to block, then DeCoud would have the green light to blitz. The back did, and DeCoud shot through the hole on a pressure rush and walloped Brees.

"As I was getting up, I saw [biermann] scoop and score," DeCoud said.

Cornerback focus

Tye Hill made his first start with the Falcons, but left the game after suffering cramps. He was injured on Saints wide receiver Marques Colston's 18-yard touchdown reception.

Brent Grimes, whom Hill was replacing in the starting lineup, came in and was solid.

Hill appeared to tackle much better than Grimes when he was in the game.

"I think it went well," Hill said. "I wish I could get a couple of those plays back, but I got in and finally got my feet wet."

Smith wouldn't name the starter for the Redskins game.

"That will be something that will be decided from week to week as we move forward," Smith said. "I think it's very competitive between those ... guys."

Grimes had an interception on which he made a spectacular jump to catch the pass.

"I just saw the ball and went up and got it," Grimes said.

Etc.

* Defensive end John Abraham clearly is slowed by his left foot injury. He had one quarterback hurry against New Orleans. "Abe has been fighting nicks and things through the entire season," Smith said.

* Running back Verron Haynes played 29 snaps against the Saints.

* Placekicker Jason Elam missed two field goals, a 34-yarder hit the left upright. A 51-yarder was short and wide. "Jason did not kick the ball like we are accustomed to seeing him kick the ball," Smith said.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-falcons/matt-ryan-not-happy-184983.html

;)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

O. Bedwetter and the AJC....nuff said. Leave it to them to put the worst possible spin on things. I don't recall reading anywhere in there about how hard the Falcons fought. Or how we gave the No. 1 team in the NFL all that they could handle. But go figure I guess. It might be asking too much that the hometown newspaper actually give props to their team.

Good read. Ryan better step it up...We have a curse to break!!!!!

He just needs to settle down and go back to being Matt Ryan. He acts like he is playing tight instead of the loose and relaxed Matty Ice from last year. Plus, we have been playing some really good teams lately. Our schedule has contributed to some of his woes. We will hit an easier patch now and things will pick up.

He just needs to settle down and go back to being Matt Ryan. He acts like he is playing tight instead of the loose and relaxed Matty Ice from last year. Plus, we have been playing some really good teams lately. Our schedule has contributed to some of his woes. We will hit an easier patch now and things will pick up.

This hard time just builds character...He will be a better QB because of this slump he is in.

Guest The Masked Falcon

Ok even Ryan said he is disappointed in his play yet some people on here still want to be apologist for his recent games. He needs to step it up, its all in his head

There are apologists.

There are alarmists.

There are trolls.

ryan's going to be alright. i'm not worried about him.

Me neither, not even a little bit to be honest. The one "bad" INT I guess is the one that Greer took back...and I know I saw a PI not called. I'm not really looking at the throws he's making and consistently saying WTF. He'll be just fine.

Me neither, not even a little bit to be honest. The one "bad" INT I guess is the one that Greer took back...and I know I saw a PI not called. I'm not really looking at the throws he's making and consistently saying WTF. He'll be just fine.

every qb has rough stretches. brady, manning, brees. all of them. i think it's just a shocker to us because this is ryan's first in what should be a long, long career. they happen.

i know he'll make corrections and with our OC and our qb coach they'll get it corrected.

I just dont want these recent games to cause Matt to start becoming gun shy. He just has to improve his intermediate passing accuracy. I still want him to take shots downfield against favorable match-ups. Yea he made some bad plays throwing into coverage but if Roddy, Jenkins, or Gonzo are running clear or go routes against single coverage, he needs to take a chance if better options aren't available instead of throwing the ball away all the time. He just needs to work on his accuracy downfield thats all.

Edited by PuntPuntPass

To be honest, iv been pretty disappointed in Ryans play lately but its good to read that he knows that he has been making mistakes and is gonna came back after this game with a hip on his shoulder, no doubt he will prove to everyone he is a great QB. I also think he is over thinking things and making them more complicated than they need to be. If he just settles down and gets into a rhythm and start to play with his instinct he will do better.

To be honest, iv been pretty disappointed in Ryans play lately but its good to read that he knows that he has been making mistakes and is gonna came back after this game with a hip on his shoulder, no doubt he will prove to everyone he is a great QB. I also think he is over thinking things and making them more complicated than they need to be. If he just settles down and gets into a rhythm and start to play with his instinct he will do better.

great avatar man. decoud's quickly turning into one of my favorite players. he does it all.

every qb has rough stretches. brady, manning, brees. all of them. i think it's just a shocker to us because this is ryan's first in what should be a long, long career. they happen.

i know he'll make corrections and with our OC and our qb coach they'll get it corrected.

Yaa Ryan is such a OLD QB. :P I mean I'm with you, its his 2nd year, he's going to have a brain fa-rt but in Atlanta people can't imagine that happening he has to be perfect. Look at Peyton Mannings first season. 28 Ints his 2nd year 15. Now if Ryan hits 15, I'm sure people here will want to run him out of town, he's learning its part of the process as Smitty would say. :P

Well, he has a defense that will give up the moon and running game that hasn't worked more than it has. Carrying the games on his shoulders is too much to ask of him this early. He is a winner and he feels the pressure to compete at a high level but he needs time.

Last year he achieved moments where you could tell time slowed down for him. It is what happens when you are playing at an elite level. He has been a great qb for us this year but I haven't seen him get back up to that level again. I think he is playing in his head too much which takes longer and not relying on his instincts. This is going to happen as he develops while he strives to get better and better. Eventually his head knowledge will become his instincts but it takes time.

The good news is that even his really bad days are much better than many out there. If this is as bad as the growing/developing pains get we are getting off quite lucky.