If I see a DE in deep coverage one more time this year !

Roudy1234

I don't understand what BVG is thinking having Jamaal Anderson 25 yards downfield covering one of the best tight ends in the league. He's been calling these plays every week and they've been driving me crazy. One more time and I am seriously going to rip my eyes out !

Another one of those "cute" plays that I have been seeing on both sides of the ball.

I couldn't figure this one out as well. Why in the world would you use one of your D-linemen to drop in coverage against a TE? That's an automatic mismatch in favor of our opponents--and they've capitalized both times. If this is some kind of experiment, it needs to stop immediately, because it's a failure.

I, and a few others, were calling for the zone blitz prior to the game. We DO NOT HAVE THE PERSONELL to play even average offenses straight up in the passing game. I don't favor all out blitzes against elite QB's but zone pressure looks are okay.

I don't mind taking a chance here or there. We had some success with zone blitz looks last night. They just didn't replay the 3 and outs 100 times during the 3rd quarter.

I think it is silly to pick on one play like this one has been picked on. Overall, you have to be happy with the defense holding the Saints to 28 offensive points. At least in my mind you do.

We DO NOT HAVE THE PERSONELL to play even average offenses straight up in the passing game. I don't favor all out blitzes against elite QB's but zone pressure looks are okay.

You're right about not having the right personnel, so why do we continue to do it? I could see if we had some of the faster DEs in the league, but Abe is past his prime and JA98 is big and slow.

I have no problem with JA98 being used in coverage for a zone blitz package, or JB95 for that matter. Both are athletes (JA98 being a former WR and Babs a former FB in college). I do have a problem locking a DL up to cover Jeremy Shockey! You always need to know where Shockey is and JA98 had no help on that play for whatever reason.

I also have a problem using JA55 in deep coverage when he is supposed to be your BEST rush guy!

Other than that. I understand it. Big Ups to the defense for containing Brees and Company.

I think they did a helluva job!

I don't understand what BVG is thinking having Jamaal Anderson 25 yards downfield covering one of the best tight ends in the league. He's been calling these plays every week and they've been driving me crazy. One more time and I am seriously going to rip my eyes out !

Then you better buy a pair of goggles to protect yourself for the next game! ;)

Its a zone blitz. The best defenses in the league use it.

The zone blitz is a great situational tactic but it only works if the guys you send can use their quickness to get into the backfield. Time and again I've seen a 200-pound corner or safety get engulfed by a 300-pound tackle. It says to me that the blitzers aren't being coached up on proper technique. Get that fixed and you've got something. And I'd love to see just a little more of the delayed blitz in long yardage situations to give the safety time to read his gaps.

You're right about not having the right personnel, so why do we continue to do it? I could see if we had some of the faster DEs in the league, but Abe is past his prime and JA98 is big and slow.

The idea is to get to the QB before he can take advantage of the mismatch. JA98 telegraphed (twice) to Brees that he was going to drop back in coverage on that play. As soon as Brees saw that, you could see his eyes light up and he knew where he was going with the ball.

I don't think there are any grounds on which to criticize what BVG has done with this group. If he plays straight up and get's beat you would be on here bitching about him not being creative enough. Quit looking at one play that didn't work and look at the complete package.

This group is still very young and we have back-ups playing critical positions due to injury. I'm VERY pleased with BVG's scheme this year. He's is absolutely making the most of what he has.

The idea is to get to the QB before he can take advantage of the mismatch. JA98 telegraphed (twice) to Brees that he was going to drop back in coverage on that play. As soon as Brees saw that, you could see his eyes light up and he knew where he was going with the ball.

DING ! DING !! DING !!!

Exactly. He was blatant in letting Brees and everyone else know what was going to happen.:rolleyes:

I'm glad someone around here has some football knowledge! ^_^