5 things we learned from the Saints game

atljbo

9:34 am November 3, 2009, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

LUCYS RETIRED SURFER’S BAR – Lucy’s is the best bar in America.

Lucy's, a safe haven for retired surfers and sports writers.

Only the Slippery Noodle in Indianapolis is on par.

After the game –- because newspaper folks don’t charter out with the team like some of our TV/sponsor friends –- that’s where I retreated.

I did see Jeremy Shockey drop his Cadillac at the hotel and ask how much valet was for the night ($50). He hopped into the back seat of a cop car and rode off to his little celebration. I’m thinking the cop was his body guard for the night.

But here are the five things I came up with at Lucy’s with the benefit of watching the ESPN replays while B52s and Rock Lobster were blaring in the background.

1. Vilma’s tip: If Jonathan Vilma doesn’t tip that pass, the Falcons win. Tony Gonzalez was open and set to gather in the go ahead touchdown pass. The Falcons would have gone ahead 31-28 with 8:30 to play. But the tipped ball ended up in the hands of Tracy Porter for an interception.

2. Vilma’s pass interference wasn’t call: The Falcons would not have been down 28-14 at halftime if the officials would have called pass interference on Vilma for hitting Roddy White, way more than 5 yards down the field. Vilma’s hit was blatant. The one the called later on Mike Peterson was a “touch” foul. With White off track for his route, Jabari Greer stepped in and intercepted the pass and returned it 38 yards for a touchdown.

3. Who’s the left cornerback?: Tye Hill started at left cornerback, but gave way to Brent Grimes after suffering a really bad case of cramps. Hill was solid, but gave up a touchdown pass to Marques Colston. Grimes came in and had that awesome interception. Do we have a cornerback controversy? It is the position that was manned by DeAngelo Hall, who’ll be visiting the Georgia Dome with the Washington Redskins this week.

4. DB Jamaal “Cover Corner” Anderson: Why exactly was Jamaal Anderson is pass coverage – oh about 20 yards down field with my hotel mate Shockey? Who drew up that scheme?

5. Wire is a ball hawk: Coy Wire came up with two fumble recoveries, including the onsides kick. He also ripped the ball away from Pierre Thomas to help keep the Falcons’ hope alive.

Just a couple of other things: Lenny Kravitz was in the house. Are we going to see Matt Ryan in the pre-game hype huddle getting the team fired up like Drew Brees does with the Saints? If the QB is out there getting pumped like that, what’s the backup defensive tackle going to do?

Ive seen allot of ppl blame Matt Ryan for losing this game.... I saw the tip pass to Tony G highlight... That was a TD... That was not a bad pass..... Vilma just made a heck of a play.

That int before halftime was crazy..... Vilma picked roddy white like the saints was running a pick and roll and the refs didn't call it.

Ive seen allot of ppl blame Matt Ryan for losing this game.... I saw the tip pass to Tony G highlight... That was a TD... That was not a bad pass..... Vilma just made a heck of a play.

That int before halftime was crazy..... Vilma picked roddy white like the saints was running a pick and roll and the refs didn't call it.

I couldn't beleive I saw JA98 cover Shockey...What the **** was that? That was a touchdown waiting to happen. I don't really understand that call.

4. DB Jamaal “Cover Corner” Anderson: Why exactly was Jamaal Anderson is pass coverage – oh about 20 yards down field with my hotel mate Shockey? Who drew up that scheme?

The One Million Dollar Question.

And yes, Ryan's pass to Gonzo would have been a TD.

But to say we would have won the game off that is dumb. Closer, and could have easily given us the win in the end, but not THE win.

peterson barely touched reggie, while vilma threw roddy to the ground. neither pass was on target, but if one is a penalty so should the other.

i do not want to see us drop our ends into coverage anymore. if we're going to do something like that how about we put nicholas at end and then drop HIM back into coverage. he can rush the passer with his hand in the dirt and he can cover so it wouldn't be so obvious with him playing end that we were dropping him.

I'm glad that he said those things - all of them are right and they are much more precise than the usual things we get from the '5 things...'

We caught some tough breaks in that game, most of them fell on Ryan's shoulders but he made 1 pass that was timing based and the timing was bad, 1 that was tipped but was a TD and 1 that was desperation. It could easily have been 2 TD and 1 INT for him. The same thing happened in Dallas, he forced it to come back. Not to mentions Jenkins falling down. The only truly horrible int I've seen in the last 3 games (and 6 ints) is his throw over Gonzalez against the Bears.

peterson barely touched reggie, while vilma threw roddy to the ground. neither pass was on target, but if one is a penalty so should the other.

i do not want to see us drop our ends into coverage anymore. if we're going to do something like that how about we put nicholas at end and then drop HIM back into coverage. he can rush the passer with his hand in the dirt and he can cover so it wouldn't be so obvious with him playing end that we were dropping him.

Abraham handles the zone blitz fine. Anderson, well, doesn't.

9:34 am November 3, 2009, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

LUCYS RETIRED SURFER’S BAR – Lucy’s is the best bar in America.

Totally agree...Lucy's is awesome. Baja Rolls FTW!

And, add it all of this, IF........

Jenkins makes the catch, ATL has a first down in the red zone, rather than watching Elam miss a FGA.

The Falcons were really close more than once. Poor execution, along with some good D by NO and yes, some questionable officiating (which is always present).

Patience, folks. .................................................

The refs saw the Vilma interference they simply did not call it. Its amazing how one sided the refs are against Atlanta when we play in New Orleans since Katrina.

Man that pissed me off, but they want to call a ticky tacky defensive holding on a 3rd down stop. The refs were wearing gold and black under those jerseys.

The refs saw the Vilma interference they simply did not call it. Its amazing how one sided the refs are against Atlanta when we play in New Orleans since Katrina.

So the referees have some vendetta against the Falcons, but only when playing in New Orleans?

You all can take your tin foil hats off, Halloween is over.

Wire was the only player who thought the falcons could win...How do I know?? 'cuz he PLAYED like it. Abe was already taking of his tape.

Turner, Decoud and Grimes came to play too. And dont ever forget Lofton, he went from being helped off the field to playing his heart out on the next series

Completely agree. I figured there was a lot of contact on the Roddy TD so it evened us up for the pick 6 but the call on Peterson for "holding" on Reggie Bush is one that very well could have lost us the game.

If Vilma doesnt get his finger on that pass, its a TD to Gonzo.

Thats why I'm fine with this loss. On the road (again) against a very good team and we were still a play or two away from taking this game. I think that sets us up well moving forward.

I just watched it on NFL Live with the camera angle above and behind Ryan so you can see it kind of like he would have seen it. From everything I saw it absolutely would have been a TD. Just a great play by Vilma. Ball was thrown and headed right to the corner of the end zone and Tony clearly had him beat. The deflection changed the trajectory and let it hang for Porter to make the INT.