2009-10 Ryan vs Flacco Debate

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After 7 games, both teams are 4-3, but look at the stats:

Matt Ryan- 1,649 12 TD, 9 INT, QB Rating of 82.4, Completion Percetage of 59.7.

Joe Flacco - 1,849 12 TD, 5 INT, QB Rating of 95.6, Completion Percentage of 66.0.

Kinda neck to neck, but Flacco is playing much better then Matt Ryan so far this year.

Why compare after 7 games? Because it's convenient now? The fact is, Baltimore has the #10 rushing offense in the league, Atlanta the #17. Baltimore has the #13 defense in the league, Atlanta the #29. I mean, all things considering, you would think since the Raven's are performing so much better, that Flacco's stats would be far superior... but that's just not the case.

Why compare after 7 games? Because it's convenient now? The fact is, Baltimore has the #10 rushing offense in the league, Atlanta the #17. Baltimore has the #13 defense in the league, Atlanta the #29. I mean, all things considering, you would think since the Raven's are performing so much better, that Flacco's stats would be far superior... but that's just not the case.

Matt Ryan has better WR's, RBs, TEs, IF Joe had our WRs, RBs, and TEs i too think Flaccos stats would be far superior than of Matts.

Matt Ryan has better WR's, RBs, TEs, IF Joe had our WRs, RBs, and TEs i too think Flaccos stats would be far superior than of Matts.

WR's?

Matt Ryan has Roddy, Flacco has Mason. I would take Clayton over Jenkins, Finneran, or Booker also.

I'll concede Gonzalez over Heap.

Turner i'd agree is better than Rice. BUT.... our run game in general has failed to get going, because our offensive line is not as good as advertised. It's showing now. The Ravens offensive line is good, and it is showing. I love how people try to act like Flacco has nothing but JUCO scrubs on his team. Mason is a legit receiver, dude has had SEVERAL 1,000 yard seasons. Ray Rice, Willis McGahee, they're as good a RB duo in the NFL right now.

I really like the arm of Flacco. He throws one of the nicest deep balls in this leauge. Very accurate. Great throw!

But I like also a lot of things by Matty. He goes to through his progressions. He has good pocket awareness. And there is the huge difference.

Pocket. The Ravens are really build in the trenches. Their O-Line is much more better than the falcons o-line.

And then there is the LT. They drafted again a good tackle with Oher.

Last night Sam Baker played like he was described by a lot of scouts.

He was not a franchise left tackle. He got abused by Smith and this destroyed the timing.

Ryan rushed his throw and this is a major concern.

Perhaps Baker will get moved to RT in the future. Because the falcons need to acquire a LT.

Still don't understand why it matters; two different QB's, two different teams, two different situations.

Unless there just is some arbitrary need to declare something as "best" at all times...

Exactly!!! They are both good, they both have plenty of room to improve, one doesn't have to be better than the other just based on their stats.

After 7 games, both teams are 4-3, but look at the stats:

Matt Ryan- 1,649 12 TD, 9 INT, QB Rating of 82.4, Completion Percetage of 59.7.

Joe Flacco - 1,849 12 TD, 5 INT, QB Rating of 95.6, Completion Percentage of 66.0.

Kinda neck to neck, but Flacco is playing much better then Matt Ryan so far this year.

No offense.....but who cares?? The QB of the team that I support is Matt Ryan and that isn't going to change in the near future. I could give a rat's arse about the QB of any other team.

I really like the arm of Flacco. He throws one of the nicest deep balls in this leauge. Very accurate. Great throw!

But I like also a lot of things by Matty. He goes to through his progressions. He has good pocket awareness. And there is the huge difference.

Pocket. The Ravens are really build in the trenches. Their O-Line is much more better than the falcons o-line.

And then there is the LT. They drafted again a good tackle with Oher.

Last night Sam Baker played like he was described by a lot of scouts.

He was not a franchise left tackle. He got abused by Smith and this destroyed the timing.

Ryan rushed his throw and this is a major concern.

Perhaps Baker will get moved to RT in the future. Because the falcons need to acquire a LT.

Ryan has been sacked 9 times and Flacco has been sacked 14 times. Ryan went 150+ snaps without a sack. Not sure how you can say the Ravens line is better than the Falcons based on those stats.

Ryan has been sacked 9 times and Flacco has been sacked 14 times. Ryan went 150+ snaps without a sack. Not sure how you can say the Ravens line is better than the Falcons based on those stats.

Because I am watching football games instead of watching stats. Ryan has much better pocket awareness and is more mobile than Flacco. And he has a fast release and he forces his throws, because he does not want to get sacked. He threws the ball out of bounds, too.

Take your time. Watching four games of the falcons(for example Ravens at Pats, Falcons at Pats)

Then you can compare the stats with your impressions. Ravens O-line is much better than the falcons o-line.

Edited by obmann

Flacco's playing better than Ryan right now, and I'd still take Ryan over him any day of the week. Let's look at both after 10 years and I guarantee Ryan will be head and shoulders above Flacco for his career.

I hope you're right about that last sentence. But what exactly are you basing that on?

Their running game > ours this season. I'm not sure why people dont factor this in...

They have been talking about QB's under pressure do not play well. This is not entirely true. Flacco is taking more sacks than Ryan. Despite the lack of the run game for three games before Dallas, Ryan was not touched. Obviously during that time the Falcons line was better. There are several QB's who have taken more sacks and have still put up better stats than Ryan.

The Falcons offense has underachieved. THe Falcons are the only current team with a WR, TE, and RB who were pro bowlers in the previous season. This offense has too many weapons to be anemic. IS ir Ryan, Mularkey, the O-line, the opposing defense, the run game, the WRs. Either way this team should be performing much better offensively.

I hope you're right about that last sentence. But what exactly are you basing that on?

His reads, the decisions he makes, the fact that his pre-snap reads end up with him throwing to spots where the receiver is going to be instead of waiting for someone to break open, the fact that he runs the no-huddle so efficiently, and a couple of years watching him tear up the ACC.

Matt Ryan is doing things no quarterback at his level should be. He doesn't have the greatest arm, but he is incredibly accurate and incredibly mature. He is intelligent and makes the right throw at the right time. He will only get better, and he's already pretty incredible.

A lot of things that people fail to point out, is that, not only is Joe Flacco playing better this year than Matt Ryan, he is doing it at 4.5 times less salary !

Matt Ryan 6 years 66 mil

Joe Flacco 5 years 11.8 mil

The talent evaluators all agreed that Matt Ryan was way more polished, but Flacco has a higher ceiling. You're starting to see that now...