Falcons fans display double standard when it comes to the meaning of 'W'

Mr. Right

When we win ugly, Falcons fans will be the first to tell you, a 'win is a win' and all that matters is the final score. So what happens when we lose in a close game? Using the same logic, Falcons fans should claim, a 'loss is a loss' and all that matters is the big fat 'L!'. However, this isn't the case. While a 'W' is a 'W' no matter how decisive our win is, a 'L' is not just a 'L'. There are close 'Ls', 'Ls' where we were blown out, ugly 'Ls', pretty 'Ls', etc...

So why isn't a 'L' just an 'L' like a 'W' is a 'W'? Why the double standard? We should hold our team to the same measure whether we win or lose. Otherwise we are just making excuses - akin to saying the referee lost us the game.

Edited by Mr. Right

Obviously, you want to get a W.

But you have to keep everything in perspective, sir.

We had a chance to win all the way until the clock striked :00. It was a good game, we could've just as easily had won it if Vilma doesn't tip that pass.

I think the emphasis isn't so much on the fact that we lost close, it's that we didn't quit.

For the first time since 1998 we have an actual tenacious team that plays to win, even when staring defeat in the eye.

That's going to win us some games we shouldn't win.

This game let me know that we're a playoff caliber team, and we will be that way perenially for the next several seasons.

When you make as many mistakes as we did and still take the best team in the NFC to the wire, to the ******* WIRE, then you have a lot to hang your hat on. Win or lose.

We had a chance to win all the way until the clock striked :00. It was a good game, we could've just as easily had won it if Vilma doesn't tip that pass.

I think the emphasis isn't so much on the fact that we lost close, it's that we didn't quit.

For the first time since 1998 we have an actual tenacious team that plays to win, even when staring defeat in the eye.

This game let me know that we're a playoff caliber team, and we will be that way perenially for the next several seasons.

When you make as many mistakes as we did and still take the best team in the NFC to the wire, to the ******* WIRE, then you have a lot to hang your hat on. Win or lose.

You are correct, sir.

I'm just curious as to what got you started in this whole trolling this forum business. Countless user names, relentless posting, and hanging around for years. You wait until a loss and then come back with a slew of your little "articles", and you're clearly not a fan. So it makes me wonder, what is wrong with you or what happened to make you into this obsessive individual. In all honesty it's both amusing and baffling at the same time.

Well if that's the way you see it, when we win in an ugly game, we should still hold our team to a high standard. In this case, we should admit we didn't deserve to win and hope to play better next time.

I'm just curious as to what got you started in this whole trolling this forum business. Countless user names, relentless posting, and hanging around for years. You wait until a loss and then come back with a slew of your little "articles", and you're clearly not a fan. So it makes me wonder, what is wrong with you or what happened to make you into this obsessive individual. In all honesty it's both amusing and baffling at the same time.

I'm just stating my observation like every other member here. And Mr. Right has always been my name.

+1

What he said.^^^^^

I hated losing. I hated that it was the Saints. But I saw the character of our team emerge and was happy to see it.

and if the refs actually called the PI on the pick 6 which was ******* blatant.

and the "hold" on peterson on 3rd down at end of the game was complete utter BS.

When we win ugly, Falcons fans will be the first to tell you, a 'win is a win' and all that matters is the final score. So what happens when we lose in a close game? Using the same logic, Falcons fans should claim, a 'loss is a loss' and all that matters is the big fat 'L!'. However, this isn't the case. While a 'W' is a 'W' no matter how decisive our win is, a 'L' is not just a 'L'. There are close 'Ls', 'Ls' where we were blown out, ugly 'Ls', pretty 'Ls', etc...

So why isn't a 'L' just an 'L' like a 'W' is a 'W'? Why the double standard? We should hold our team to the same measure whether we win or lose. Otherwise we are just making excuses - akin to saying the referee lost us the game.

What you say makes sense when you sterotype all Falcons fans into a single enity. However, as you can see by the different posts on this board, not all Falcons fans are the same or think the same way.

Yes, I will take an ugly win over a pretty lose any day. But if we must lose, I would rather see my team lose fighting like demons to the very end rather than have them give up and quit.

This forum is no different than any other forum on the internet. In every forum you will always have a small group who hate and critize everything. At the same time you will also have a small group who will love everything no matter what. Meanwhile, most of us just express our thought and opinions on a case by case bassis.

I agree! And why isn't a 'T' just a 'T'. I know we have only tied one game but I want to know if a 'T' is more like an 'L' or a 'W' and can a 'T' be a close 'T' or can there be a blow-out 'T'? And what happens if we ever have to forfeit - 'F' or postpone - 'P' a game? Is a 'F' more like a 'P' or is it more of a 'T' and can there be close 'F's but not 'P's? <_<

except you know, the 5 Saints TO's.

that Monday night game proved to me that this team isn't close to being what we want them to be. To not beat a team who turned the ball over 5 times is sickening, that's the oly reason we were in the game. If not for those it's a blowout

The difference between a close win and a close lose can sometimes be a lucky break or the spot of the ball. There are times when the team should be praised after a lose. Over the decades, I have seen plenty of Falcons losses where they phoned it in. Believe me, a well-fought loss hurts a lot less than one where the team just rolls over.

A close win against an obviously inferior opponent where the team played way below its ability deserves to be discussed. Great teams win the battles against quality opponents and trounce the poor ones.

Yes, quality of play deserves to be discussed, regardless of the outcome. Chicken Little, all is lost, and gloom-and-doom is NOT the right reaction to close wins or losses if the team played to their ability. Save that for the years when the squad obviously doesn't care. Even then, knee-jerk negativism adds nothing to the conversation.

How about the double standard in place when it comes to some 'fans' creating a thought provoking, insightful thread vs. those responsible for the complete and utter nonsense represented by this thread???blink.gif

A win is a win and a loss is a loss, and both are reflected in the teams record/conference standings.

Period.

Everything else is simple emotional baggage the players and fans deal with after each game.

I'm trying to wade through the pseudo-intellectual, pop-psychology, sixth-grade-level, randomly punctuated, impenetrable prose here to arrive at some sort of coherent point, but I just can't.

A little help?