Skynyrd04's First Mock Offseason

So, we've seen about half a year's worth of football and any good draft geek will tell you it's never too early to start putting together mock drafts. Let's be honest: Injuries have hurt us pretty severely this year. Losing HD has slowed our Offense by taking away a big play element from the slot. On D, Jerry was looking really solid before goin down, and losing B Williams to a knee injury lost us what was probably our best corner. So, I'm gonna look into what could take us from a solid playoff team, to a SuperBowl contender.

FA:

RESIGN

Norwood: With his season being hurt by injuries, there's a good chance Norwood might give us 2-3 more years at a discount.

Snelling: He's a RFA so tender him.

Clabo: Resign, but a change to RG might be in order.

Dahl: Just hasn't looked as good as he did in 2008, so we let him go.

FA Pickups:

Aarron Kampman: He doesn't fit in GB's new 34 scheme, so he'll be looking for a new home in 2010. We need to generate more of a pass rush, and adding Kampman to the rotation ought to do that.

Mike Gandy: He played LT very well for the Cardinals the last few years, including in the SuperBowl. He'll be 31 next year, but a move to RT should prolong his career and help remain at a high level. Also, this allows us to move Clabo, a natural G, in to RG improving two positions with one move.

David Carr: Redman is a FA at season's end, and JPW has never taken a regular season snap. Seems like a solid backup should be the plan.

Trade: Ship Houston out of town for a 3rd round pick, and I believe we'll be receiving a compensatory pick around round 4.

Draft:

R1: Trevard Lindley - CB - KENT: At 6' even and 180lbs Lindley possesses good size, and though he doesn't possess stop watch speed, he's played at a high level in the toughest conference in football.

R3: Matt Tennant - C - BC: He's a younger McClure. Smart, tough, but a touch on the lite side. McClure will be 33, and a replacement will be needed sooner rather than later. Tennant spent 2 years being a great C for none other than Matt Ryan.

R3(for Houston): Greg Jones - LB- Mich State: Peterson has been a definite upgrade but at 33 we'll be in the market for an heir apparent on the weakside. That maybe Spencer, maybe not. Jones who had 127 tckls and 14 tfl in 2008 could be the WLB of the future.

R4: Blair White - WR - Mich State: Promise I don't go to Mich State. Finn is a FA and we can replace him with another, younger solid possession reciever.

R4 (comp pick): Dan Williams - DT - Tenn: At 311lbs Williams can hold up at the point of attack and has had a senior year of the best NFL-ready coaching he could get under Monte Kiffin.

R5: Thomas Austin - G- Clemson: Wilkerson will be a FA at the end of the year. So, we'll be looking for Oline depth.

R6: Richard Dickson - TE - LSU: Tony G is winding down a HOF career. So we take a flyer on a possible replacement down the road.

Well, its probably way too early but there you have it.

So, we've seen about half a year's worth of football and any good draft geek will tell you it's never too early to start putting together mock drafts. Let's be honest: Injuries have hurt us pretty severely this year. Losing HD has slowed our Offense by taking away a big play element from the slot. On D, Jerry was looking really solid before goin down, and losing B Williams to a knee injury lost us what was probably our best corner. So, I'm gonna look into what could take us from a solid playoff team, to a SuperBowl contender.

FA:

RESIGN

Norwood: With his season being hurt by injuries, there's a good chance Norwood might give us 2-3 more years at a discount.

FA Pickups:

Aarron Kampman: He doesn't fit in GB's new 34 scheme, so he'll be looking for a new home in 2010. We need to generate more of a pass rush, and adding Kampman to the rotation ought to do that.

Mike Gandy: He played LT very well for the Cardinals the last few years, including in the SuperBowl. He'll be 31 next year, but a move to RT should prolong his career and help remain at a high level. Also, this allows us to move Clabo, a natural G, in to RG improving two positions with one move.

David Carr: Redman is a FA at season's end, and JPW has never taken a regular season snap. Seems like a solid backup should be the plan.

Trade: Ship Houston out of town for a 3rd round pick, and I believe we'll be receiving a compensatory pick around round 4.

Draft:

R1: Trevard Lindley - CB - KENT: At 6' even and 180lbs Lindley possesses good size, and though he doesn't possess stop watch speed, he's played at a high level in the toughest conference in football.

R3: Matt Tennant - C - BC: He's a younger McClure. Smart, tough, but a touch on the lite side. McClure will be 33, and a replacement will be needed sooner rather than later. Tennant spent 2 years being a great C for none other than Matt Ryan.

R3(for Houston): Greg Jones - LB- Mich State: Peterson has been a definite upgrade but at 33 we'll be in the market for an heir apparent on the weakside. That maybe Spencer, maybe not. Jones who had 127 tckls and 14 tfl in 2008 could be the WLB of the future.

R4: Blair White - WR - Mich State: Promise I don't go to Mich State. Finn is a FA and we can replace him with another, younger solid possession reciever.

R4 (comp pick): Dan Williams - DT - Tenn: At 311lbs Williams can hold up at the point of attack and has had a senior year of the best NFL-ready coaching he could get under Monte Kiffin.

R5: Thomas Austin - G- Clemson: Wilkerson will be a FA at the end of the year. So, we'll be looking for Oline depth.

R6: Richard Dickson - TE - LSU: Tony G is winding down a HOF career. So we take a flyer on a possible replacement down the road.

cool avatar, I've seen it before but I can't put my finger n it.

Okay offseason.

FA:

RESIGN

FA Pickups:

Draft:

Your FA pickups are pretty bad, the only one that makes sense is Kampman, but one rookie Cb is not goign to fix our problems at CB.

Your Draft is ok, with the best pick being the CB. Dan Williams does not fit our scheme, he is too slow, but he is strong, but not quick enough, we are not going after big DT. Your Draft is missing something, cant put my finger on it but it is missing something.

Your FA pickups are pretty bad, the only one that makes sense is Kampman, but one rookie Cb is not goign to fix our problems at CB.

Your Draft is ok, with the best pick being the CB. Dan Williams does not fit our scheme, he is too slow, but he is strong, but not quick enough, we are not going after big DT. Your Draft is missing something, cant put my finger on it but it is missing something.

My thinking in picking up 1 CB in the draft was that between Lindley, Williams, Hill, Jackson, and Owens we could find 2 starters. Williams is playing in an NFL style cover 2 scheme so that should make him capable of playing in our D.

Skynrd,

I like the first 4 picks. They all address needs. I agree that we should draft a Wr....at the beginning of the season I didn't think so but now it apppears that we should (Finn=FA, Booker=Age, Douglass=returning from inj, Jenks=droppsies) With Romberg, Reynolds and possible Valdez not sure OG is pressing need. May need to look at Rb with Norwood=inj and FA. Snelling we need to keep. Personally I hope we keep both norwood and snelling so it doesn't create an instant need.

Love Kampman FA signing. I would like to also sign FA Cb along with early draft CB. I hope that TD is more active in FA this year. This years draft may have proven that you can't fill every hole with draft. Not all drafts turn out as good as the '08 draft.

My thinking in picking up 1 CB in the draft was that between Lindley, Williams, Hill, Jackson, and Owens we could find 2 starters. Williams is playing in an NFL style cover 2 scheme so that should make him capable of playing in our D.

I really dont think that Williams will be back, he was only signed to a one year contract, he was already up in age, and we can find a NB to replace him if Jackson is not the answer. I am really not comfortable with putting a Rookie CB in our already weak Secondary, and Lindley doesnt play alot of Cover 2 which we do play sometimes, so he would have to learn another sytle.

I really dont think that Williams will be back, he was only signed to a one year contract, he was already up in age, and we can find a NB to replace him if Jackson is not the answer. I am really not comfortable with putting a Rookie CB in our already weak Secondary, and Lindley doesnt play alot of Cover 2 which we do play sometimes, so he would have to learn another sytle.

I agree with you on Williams.

Lindley does play Cover 2 though. It is just mainly man coverage instead of zone.

We play zone, but only like 25% of the time as opposed to like 75% of the time last year. We have moved from that Cover 2 and now are a more blitzing/attacking defense.

We need CBs who can play in Man coverage at a high level. We don't have that right now. Lindley has been compared to a young Leigh Bodden and Al Harris. That is what we need.

I think we sign one FA CB... Dunta Robinson, Carlos rogers, or Leigh Bodden and then we will draft a CB very early. Probably in the 2nd round (if we get a pick)

I agree with you on Williams.

Lindley does play Cover 2 though. It is just mainly man coverage instead of zone.

We play zone, but only like 25% of the time as opposed to like 75% of the time last year. We have moved from that Cover 2 and now are a more blitzing/attacking defense.

We need CBs who can play in Man coverage at a high level. We don't have that right now. Lindley has been compared to a young Leigh Bodden and Al Harris. That is what we need.

I think we sign one FA CB... Dunta Robinson, Carlos rogers, or Leigh Bodden and then we will draft a CB very early. Probably in the 2nd round (if we get a pick)

Yeah i agree that we will sign a FA CB like Bodden or Rogers I think that we go after them pretty aggresively, I also think that we might draft one early or in the middle rounds.