The Ray of Light Thread

Peyton

I came into this week hating the Falcons chances in this game, but I've taken another look, and I'm starting to feel a lot better.

The popular notion with the Saints is that there offense is devastating and impossible to stop, but that's really not true nor it is the reason they are 6-0. The are 6-0 because their defense has done a tremendous job of creating turnovers so far this year, and they have benefited in doing that by playing an amazing string of inexperienced QBs. Eli Manning is the only experienced QB they have played, and he did pretty well. Other than Eli, the only QB that NO has played with more than a few games as a starter was the horrible Trent Edwards.

Now about that unstoppable offense.

Against Buffalo, the NO offense had only 10 points entering the 4th quarter and had a string of 7 possessions where they only scored 3 points.

Against NY, New Orleans offense managed 10 points for the whole game in 10 possessions.

Against Miami, they scored only 3 points in their first 7 possessions and 10 points in their first 10 possessions.

The point is that this offense can be slowed down for long stretches of game, but only Miami was able to take advantage of it, and they gave the momentum away with careless turnovers to end the first half and start the second half.

So the Falcons can win this game. In order to do so, we are going to need to see the offense that showed up in San Francisco, and not the offense we saw against Chicago and Dallas.

Guest The Masked Falcon

Good points.

I think most fans look at the high score that any team racks up in a particular game and assumes that the offense must really be hitting on all cylinders.

The Falcons will have to play virtually error-free ball to win this game.

Falcons va. Saints are usually always close games. 29-25 in NO last year and in 2007 22-16. We lost both those games but they were close. The re-opening of the Superdome was a blowout in 2006 but that was NO's superbowl that year. In 2005 it was 34-31 with us on top. In 2005, we also faced Drew Brees(with the Chargers) in the GA dome and won 21-20.

A for the great feel good post, F for research.

Eli did pretty well you say? Eli's stat line for that game: 14 for 31 (45 %), 178 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT (one Darren Sharper pick 6 called back for roughing) for a 61 QB rating. If that's a QB "doing pretty well", then my name is MUDD.

Against Buffalo, outdoor, highly windy conditions that affected both passing games. The Saints then turned to the run and amassed 222 yards on the ground and 378 yards total offense. Buffalo has some playmakers on their defense and did pretty well against New England. Next!

Against the Jets, we forget the 7 they left on the field after a Jet goal line stand and a kneel inside the 5 to end the game. Another drive stalled near the Jet 30 after another stand on downs. Saints still got 343 yards total offense. Another 350 yard day. Next!

You do realize this is the NFL right? Nonetheless, 2nd half scoring drives:

8 plays, 82 yards...TD

3 plays, 79 yards...TD

8 plays, 60 yards...TD

10 plays, 64 yards...FG

So it's not like they got turnovers and short fields to play with like the Dolphins offense in the first half.

The point is all NFL offenses will be shut down for portions of the game if you have any semblence of a defense. The problem is shutting them down all game while continuing to score.

A for the feel good post, F for research.

Ok, so I din't look at the stats for Eli, I thought he had done better than that. I don't see how you can say I get an F for research when you didn't actually dispute one fact in my post.

Ok, so I din't look at the stats for Eli, I thought he had done better than that. I don't see how you can say I get an F for research when you didn't actually dispute one fact in my post.

Problem with your stats and your "facts" is, you left out the most important one...You know,the only one that matters at the end of the day...that's right, the final score. :wacko:

Problem with your stats and your "facts" is, you left out the most important one...You know,the only one that matters at the end of the day...that's right, the final score. :wacko:

Yeah I think everybody knows the Saints record. You must have missed the part where this thread was titled "The Ray of Light" thread.

You blind lil fella? I disputed every "fact" in your post, starting with your "fact" that Eli did well. Why would you even say or think that if you didn't watch the game or didn't even check the box score?

You have rendered this thread null and void and all based on hope and belief.

Next!

Why have you been trolling here since August? Do you plan your trolling activities? Are you a member of 13 other message boards for future trolling activities?

Leave Peyton alone, He will own you with a single emoticon, let along his words.

You blind lil fella? I disputed every "fact" in your post, starting with your "fact" that Eli did well. Why would you even say or think that if you didn't watch the game or didn't even check the box score?

Next!

Well the first thing you need to do is learn the definition of fact.

edit - then, once you do, why don't you tell me which one I got wrong.

Edited by Peyton

I usually "troll" in Rival Central where there are a few sensible Falcon fans to discuss the division race with. I'll only be in the infamous bandwagon central TAFT this week, and when the Saints visit the Origami dome.

As for the rest of your post and mispelling... ^_^

Spell check perfect. Try again troll.

Next!

lil'

There goes your credibility.

Edited by Classless Keith Brooking

My credibility went out of the window the minute I tried to talk football on a Falcons board. Now it's like...teasing your LIL brother. :lol:

I see no one has addressed my rebuttals of Peyton's, errrrr, "opinions".

I don't need to address your rebuttals, they are irrelevant to my point in the first place.

I came into this week hating the Falcons chances in this game, but I've taken another look, and I'm starting to feel a lot better.

The popular notion with the Saints is that there offense is devastating and impossible to stop, but that's really not true nor it is the reason they are 6-0. The are 6-0 because their defense has done a tremendous job of creating turnovers so far this year, and they have benefited in doing that by playing an amazing string of inexperienced QBs. Eli Manning is the only experienced QB they have played, and he did pretty well. Other than Eli, the only QB that NO has played with more than a few games as a starter was the horrible Trent Edwards.

Now about that unstoppable offense.

Against Buffalo, the NO offense had only 10 points entering the 4th quarter and had a string of 7 possessions where they only scored 3 points.

Against NY, New Orleans offense managed 10 points for the whole game in 10 possessions.

Against Miami, they scored only 3 points in their first 7 possessions and 10 points in their first 10 possessions.

The point is that this offense can be slowed down for long stretches of game, but only Miami was able to take advantage of it, and they gave the momentum away with careless turnovers to end the first half and start the second half.

So the Falcons can win this game. In order to do so, we are going to need to see the offense that showed up in San Francisco, and not the offense we saw against Chicago and Dallas.

Good post, very true they haven't played alot of great QBs. But it also means Matt has to be pretty much perfect to win this game and we need to have a running game.. The running game is the only thing that will keep Brees off the field. ;)

Good post, very true they haven't played alot of great QBs. But it also means Matt has to be pretty much perfect to win this game and we need to have a running game.. The running game is the only thing that will keep Brees off the field. ;)

Our offense needs to execute like we thought they were going to at the beginning of the season. My point was that the Saints are doing a lot of their damage with turnovers, and that they are not the 2007 Patriots offense, which really was unstoppable for most of 2007.

I hope this is another "opinion", because the Saints are outpacing the 2007 Patriots offense in every category except passing.

Yes, that is an opinion, I am glad I am able to teach you in a short period of time what every single english teacher you ever had was apparently not able to teach you.

Actually, you tried to pass off much as fact, but like a school teacher, I'm making you admit these things as your own opinion, because you haven't been taught how to properly research anything.

B)

That doesn't even make any sense. How could someone pass off an opinion as fact? Please do me a favor. Go figure out what a fact is and get back to me when you've got that OK.