Monday night will be a watershed moment in Falcons Franchise History.

Legendary08

On paper, the Falcons should get crushed by this new resurgant New Orleans Saints team, not only do they pass for 300-400 yds a game they run for 150 and they score at will and create turnovers and pressure opposing QB's driving one after the other to painful defeats.

But if you look at the history of the Falcons/Saints Rivialy, Their has been many classics and moments that go against the grain and go against the paper so to speak. I am not predicting a Falcons win, it would be foolish to do so given the way Atlanta's Offense is struggling with no running game and a grounded passing attack and given the fact that Atlanta's defense has substained a number of horrible season ending losses forcing the likes of the smallest DB in the History of the NFL 4 ft 5 inch Ben Grimes onto the field to play CB.

With that being said, a Win on Monday night would make us instantly forget the horrible play against Dallas, it would once again propel the Falcon into the Division race and give the Saints something to be worried about, which right now they have nothing because they are smashing every team they encounter. But most importantly it would show the Nation that the Atlanta is for real after having played a horrible game in Dallas they are up off the mat.

A New Orleans win (Which is expected) however would Send the Falcons reeling, it would crush any gains that Mike Smith, TD, and Matt Ryan have made in the Process. Ryan would no longer be seen as a up and coming Star, Another bad game by Michael Turner will be a single that his end in Atlanta is near and the Falcons may go on to struggle to win enough games to capture back to back winning seasons for the 1st time and make it back to the playoffs...............

So This Monday night game is not just another monday night game. It is a watershed moment in the History of the Atlanta Falcons.

I don't think we would be necessarily "reeling" if we lose on Monday. We have 2 nice bounce back games against Washington and the Battle of I-85 coming up with the Panthers. Sure a loss on Monday night would give the Saints a clear path to the division but eh. All we can do is just keep winning games and everything should work itself out.

I agree with some of what you said, but win,lose, or draw the Falcons must move on to the next opponent. I disagree that they will be reeling.

So far, outside of diehard Falcons fans, I haven't heard of anyone picking the Birds to win this game. And there's always that payback game in the Dome.

Making the playoffs as a wildcard ain't too shabby..

We have a things going for us:

1. Major upset on ESPN last night...trend can continue!!

2. No one sees the birds as a viable threat...plays to our underdog mentality.

3. No back to back losses since Smith arrived.

4. Ryan have back to back bad games - he will look to prove himself once more.

5. Ovie hopefully back, will make a contribution, Turner will produce with Ovie.

If not, as another poster put it..it is just another loss and more than likely everyone had us penciled in that way at the beginning of the season. 12-4 is still extremely possible based on the 2nd half schedule.

It is not me making the "Fire Mike Smith" Threads is it. I am not a bandwagon fan. I have been a Falcons fan since the beginning and though all the rough years but I am also very realistic, I have seen the Falcons have high hopes many times before only to see those hopes smashed by some up and coming team........

First it was the Dallas Cowboys in the 70's and early 80's defeating us in the playoffs twice, both on Comebacks late in the game.

Then came the Dreaded San Francisco 49ers of Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and later Steve Young, They ended many a Falcon season and broke many NFL records against Atlanta.

Next came the Upstart Tampa Bay Buccaneers with their Tampa 2 Defense that made Michael Vick look like a Fast-Food Worker suited up as QB.

We had many heated battles against Philadelphia, Carolina, and the St. Louis Rams that did not end so well either, saw a Hall Fame QB Traded to Green Bay, and Other Former Falcons win Superbowl rings with Other teams after having left Atlanta.

New Orleans was there the whole time but we managed to beat them down until now, now they appear to have upstaged us and they are making the Falcons look like a true rebuilding them while they themselves are posed to win a Championship this year.

I Hope the Falcons can do something about that monday night but I A'int gonna put any money on it.

I have see too many Seasons go down the drain with one big loss that lead to other defeats........I hope to not see that this year.

Edited by Legendary08

It's kind of funny how every week we get a different this is the defining moment for the team/player topic. I mean wasn't game 3 supposed to be that vs the Patriots, then game 4 vs SF, and then Chicago and Dallas?

Sure this is a division game, and falling behind 3 games to the division leader would be huge, as would beating them but neither is some watershed moment in team history.

Heck, we could end up losing to New Orleans and then Washington, before going on a huge roll and going undefeated the rest of the season to finish 12-4 and possibly win the division. In that scenario the loss to the Skins not the Saints is what becomes the focal point, it would be all gloom and doom after starting 4-1 and finishing 4-4 at the midpoint after losing to the awful Skins, and a loss to the Saints would be quickly forgotten.

I'll go even further, we could be on track to lose the fourth consecutive game and falling to 4-5, getting beat at Carolina late in to the 4th qtr before some miraculous Ryan to Gonzalez 4th down touchdown as the game clock expires, thus beginning a long winning streak into the playoffs.

The defining moments in football aren't the ones that are predicted, they are the ones that just happen during a game and are later memorialized. Sorry there's too much football left this season, it's not going to be some turning point unless you're writing drama, and there's nothing wrong with doing that ...... I just did some myself.

It's kind of funny how every week we get a different this is the defining moment for the team/player topic. I mean wasn't game 3 supposed to be that vs the Patriots, then game 4 vs SF, and then Chicago and Dallas?

Sure this is a division game, and falling behind 3 games to the division leader would be huge, as would beating them but neither is some watershed moment in team history.

Heck, we could end up losing to New Orleans and then Washington, before going on a huge roll and going undefeated the rest of the season to finish 12-4 and possibly win the division. In that scenario the loss to the Skins not the Saints is what becomes the focal point, it would be all gloom and doom after starting 4-1 and finishing 4-4 at the midpoint after losing to the awful Skins, and a loss to the Saints would be quickly forgotten.

I'll go even further, we could be on track to lose the fourth consecutive game and falling to 4-5, getting beat at Carolina late in to the 4th qtr before some miraculous Ryan to Gonzalez 4th down touchdown as the game clock expires, thus beginning a long winning streak into the playoffs.

The defining moments in football aren't the ones that are predicted, they are the ones that just happen during a game and are later memorialized. Sorry there's too much football left this season, it's not going to be some turning point unless you're writing drama, and there's nothing wrong with doing that ...... I just did some myself.

and that's the thread folks

Excellent +1