The bible is a work of fiction

Youngin

See, this is why most people hate typing. While it can be alot better than face-to-face in some respects due to the conflagrations it could cause, there's something to be said for being able to visualize and quicker translate what you mean.

You personalized too much. Plain and simple. Even though i gave an effort (obviously a bad one) to make sure it sounded as unfocused as possible. It's not directed toward you, nor any one person or persons (especially here) i could think of. Now, if you choose to take it personal maybe the 'zealot' thing is a title that indeed needs bestowing upon you ;).

Well, again - it is what it is. Whatever you think, i respect your views and you can't stop me. This "strawman" theory you got going i admit; i don't get it. But then, i don't get religion anyway. As i before stated: i don't believe, i won't believe and i'm not going to waste my time studying something i don't believe exists anyway. I mean, obviously religion exists, but it's no more than so much philosophy or mythology than anything else. Perhaps more of a gigantic cult. Like i put before, i enjoy reading the tales. But those tales are found in other books just as much as this bible. And i have met too many 'zealots' who would try to get me to believe in these. Those are the ones i wish would stop. See the rants here are really kinda supposed to be open ended. Not aimed at any individual. I was just putting my views out there. I myself have a couple of family members deep into this hot mess and they make me feel uncomfortable around them when they spew this stuff. These are people i would really like and expect to be comfortable around for whatever reason and i can't because they almost always bring this up. Ah well... I can't understand it. Do christians get like Frequent Soul Miles for the extra ones they save in their heaven or something? Do they get a "better" spot in heaven? Why do they care about the condition of my immortal soul? This is what i typed of - i wish they'd leave me alone. I really wish there was some option i could do in reverse (without being ostracized for being a non-believer). Some way of proclaiming the lack of god/s they way they have theirs.

And i'm more of one who goes for science in the first place. I need proof. More than what has been shown. Because lots of things for every religion have been found and proven. But enough for any god of any religion it is quite obvious has not been found. Can you find a body of a "resurrected" man? - how can you think that and NOT chuckle?.. Yes, people rise from the dead on a regular basis 'round these parts. Trouble is we shoot 'em cause we call them zombies. Heh heh. On a side note, would that make Islam the actual one true religion? Cause don't they supposedly have the body of Muhammed in a mosque or tomb somewhere? That's one-upmanship on Christianity.

Anyway. It really doesn't matter. It's all in fun. This has been good discussion. I like seeing the views, whatever the outcome.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're going to take the "I'm not going to study it because it isn't worth my time" approach, you'd do well to refrain from commenting on what we supposedly believe. It doesn't do anyone any good for you to so flagrantly mischaracterize Christian teaching in order to refute it. Much better, I would think, to just say "I don't believe" and let that be the end of it. If you want to know what we believe, simply ask. If you don't, don't ask.

But refuting a belief no one has ever held is kind of silly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

aah, a religion thread...well hopefully these threads have more point than the ones on NFL General Message Board did...all it was was atheists starting threads and calling religious people stupid to feel better about themselves.

yet somehow I always got baited..so here's what I need to say

the pointless debates are

"wheres the proof"...there isn't any, there will never be any no matter what is out there. spiritual beings/gods would not be in the physical world, but would be in a spiritual realm beyond the universe that could never be seen,heard,noticed unless it wanted to be..therefore,if its there it can't be proven...if you choose not to believe in anything,fine...but acting like you have superior intelligence because you don't believe in anything makes you ironically look less intelligent for that reason

"evolution versus creation"...yeah, evolution is a proven fact..we all know that..just because everything in the bible isn't right doesn't mean there isn't any kind of spirituality..I'm a spiritual non-Christian, and dislike almost every teaching in the bible so I know that better than anyone

some studies say the brain can be manipulated into thinking there is an entity in the room with the right trigger, but whether thats true or not..it just means that you CAN manipulate the mind to feel that..but not that everytime its felt its not real

basically, you can believe whatever you want..but theres no proof either way..so quit trying to prove anything..that goes for both sides

frankly in my mind with all the restrictive and self-degrading messages in the bible, its unbelievable for someone's main problem with it to be "they believe in a god"

• 3 weeks later...

If i gave you a candy bar for flicking a light switch for an eternity, will you get the candy bar? no.

the candy bar represents this point in time. So, you could never reach this point in time unless there was a starting point, which would make time finite.

If time is finite then space is finite, because when would it have come about? it wouldnt, since there was no time point for it to do so. Since space and time are finite, that makes matter finite. Something cant come from nothing.

So using that logic, there always had to be something then. there always had to be a starting point. there had to be something that has always existed for everything else to come to fruition.

that something is god.

if he existed. i dont believe in a god but in my mind this is how i would explain it. there are flaws though. Our point in time can just be a point in an ever continuing cycle. There could have always been a universe, there could always have been the gases that have come together to create all the different reactions leading to where the universe is now.

We are finite creatures, so it is beyond our capabilities to envision an "eternity". So we have to comfort ourselves, in a way, with the various religious beliefs.

See, this is why most people hate typing. While it can be alot better than face-to-face in some respects due to the conflagrations it could cause, there's something to be said for being able to visualize and quicker translate what you mean.

You personalized too much. Plain and simple. Even though i gave an effort (obviously a bad one) to make sure it sounded as unfocused as possible. It's not directed toward you, nor any one person or persons (especially here) i could think of. Now, if you choose to take it personal maybe the 'zealot' thing is a title that indeed needs bestowing upon you ;).

Well, again - it is what it is. Whatever you think, i respect your views and you can't stop me. This "strawman" theory you got going i admit; i don't get it. But then, i don't get religion anyway. As i before stated: i don't believe, i won't believe and i'm not going to waste my time studying something i don't believe exists anyway. I mean, obviously religion exists, but it's no more than so much philosophy or mythology than anything else. Perhaps more of a gigantic cult. Like i put before, i enjoy reading the tales. But those tales are found in other books just as much as this bible. And i have met too many 'zealots' who would try to get me to believe in these. Those are the ones i wish would stop. See the rants here are really kinda supposed to be open ended. Not aimed at any individual. I was just putting my views out there. I myself have a couple of family members deep into this hot mess and they make me feel uncomfortable around them when they spew this stuff. These are people i would really like and expect to be comfortable around for whatever reason and i can't because they almost always bring this up. Ah well... I can't understand it. Do christians get like Frequent Soul Miles for the extra ones they save in their heaven or something? Do they get a "better" spot in heaven? Why do they care about the condition of my immortal soul? This is what i typed of - i wish they'd leave me alone. I really wish there was some option i could do in reverse (without being ostracized for being a non-believer). Some way of proclaiming the lack of god/s they way they have theirs.

And i'm more of one who goes for science in the first place. I need proof. More than what has been shown. Because lots of things for every religion have been found and proven. But enough for any god of any religion it is quite obvious has not been found. Can you find a body of a "resurrected" man? - how can you think that and NOT chuckle?.. Yes, people rise from the dead on a regular basis 'round these parts. Trouble is we shoot 'em cause we call them zombies. Heh heh. On a side note, would that make Islam the actual one true religion? Cause don't they supposedly have the body of Muhammed in a mosque or tomb somewhere? That's one-upmanship on Christianity.

Anyway. It really doesn't matter. It's all in fun. This has been good discussion. I like seeing the views, whatever the outcome.

Tell me in a short paragraph what it is that you have difficulty with.

• 2 weeks later...

Tell me in a short paragraph what it is that you have difficulty with.

Simple: people letting religon dictate how they live their lives, and using it to run others. Letting a belief ... check this - in its strongest form - run their lives. I understand beliefs of all kinds dictate how almost everyone runs their lives. I don't need nor do i want these god believers destroying anything we has a species could discover/achieve simply because "god" gets in the way. Religon is a driving factor in all the things we DON'T do - space exploration, medical examination... heck most sciences. It claims things we are looking for or plan to do 'go against god'. I have no problem with that. I don't see why anyone should. And i don't see why any religon and their fictional stories should be any more rational than a belief of life on other worlds. I find it totally amusing and incensing all the ridiculous things that have occurred in a bible that christians take has fact yet they consider aliens an impossibility. Sheep.

• 4 weeks later...

As something touted to us as the undeniable and infallible word of "god," you would expect to see the entire thing accurately describe each and every one of its historical events, wouldn't you? I mean, IF it were a true historical record.

Instead, what we get are a book chocked full of inaccuracies, authors disagreeing on the supposed same events, wrong time periods for events, contradictions, moral inadequacies, and a WHOLE lot of wishful thinking surrounded by some events that are physically impossible. Ya, good job on getting a handful of dates and events correct, out of the thousands contained in it. Thats not a very good track record for historical authenticity if you ask me. When over 80% of it can be proven factualy incorrect, that sums up to me as fiction...

I know you said your not a bible apologists, and I take your word for it. You do seem more like a Deist to me: believe in a higher power that created everything but not a religion with a scripture that can be proven factualy incorrect. (Interestingly, most of the Founding Fathers of the US were Deists - it was still political suicide to come out as an atheist in their time, so a Deist was the only viable alternative when trying to distance themselves from religiosity) I find it quite insulting the Christion right wingers are trying to claim the Founding Fathers as die-hard Christians and that this country was founded on Christianity. Hogwash! The very first treaty we signed as a new nation with Tripoli clearly stated "The United States is NOT founded on the Christian religion." Yes, that treaty was written and signed by our very own Founding Fathers.

Back to my point about understanding where you are coming from; I do, perhaps calling the entire bible a work of fiction is a little harsh. It does have a few nuggets of actual historical accuracy. Perhaps it's the anti-theist in me coming out that wants to crush any and all hope people have in accepting the validity of the book on the whole.

I am opposed to blind faith at every turn. Where science looks to advance our understanding of the world, blind faith often tends to hinder that venture. Blind faith in many different religious scriptures helps to maintain a level of seperation and segregation between the 6 billion people of our planet: where none really exists. We can ALL trace our ancestral roots to a tiny area of Africa under 100,000 years ago; every single living person on the planet is a direct descendant of the black people (I'm white btw)from that area. It has been proven; it's a FACT. Moreso, the Theory of Evolution is a FACT. One supported by a mountain of evidence, far more than the Theory of Gravity, or the Atomic Theory. You don't see the two latter theories having the defend themselves against bigotry and intellectual dishonesty like you do with Evolution. And why is that? Because the FACTS that we have discovered conflict with some Bronze Age myths about how we got here. Reason, evidence, and logic wins, blind faith never does.

Blind faith, while somewhat harmless in moderation, allows it to be ok for the more militant and aggressive forms of faith to exist at all. I'm speaking of the Islamic funamentalists who fly planes into buildings, and the christion fundamentalists of the US who think it's ok to murder an abortion doctor, among other atrocities carried out in the name of faith. Without the acceptance of blind faith as "reasonable" in the worlds societies, these types of insane faith would not have the fertile breeding grounds to flourish like they currently have. When I hear people retort with that old chestnut, "that's why it's called faith," with that condescending tone like faith is something to be proud of, it makes me want to shake that person and wake them up to reality.

I have faith that I'm going to be able to drive down my side of the road and the oncoming traffic is going to stay on their side. Most of the time that faith is warranted. That faith is based on reason, logic, and past evidence of times when people did in fact stay on their side of the road. That is not the same as blind faith. When I believe that the world is under 10,000 years old because a book tells me it is, contradicting the overwhelming mountain of physical evidence that it is actually around 5 BILLION years old, THAT is a problem.

Faith is a virus folks, a virus that has infected our population since humans first looked at their environment and wondered how things worked, and why things are the way they are. Gods have always been invented to explain things that we did not have the technology or knowledge to explain. Our civilization has advanced to the point where we no longer need those arcane god inventions to explain why the sun rises and where lightening comes from. Where we no longer need a creation story when we know from demonstrable evidence how long we've been here and how the process of evolution shaped us and every other living thing on the planet into what it is today. Blind faith is what tells people to hold on to those arcane god inventions in the face of evidence and reality. It's time for blind faith to fade away from our society and become a mere footnote in our history, opening the door for a much brighter future.

Everything I do here is an attempt to encourage that outcome. To encourage people to think instead of accept the same old routine without ever questioning if it makes sense or not. To illuminate people to how wrong and harmful it is to simply say that it's ok for people to have blind faith beliefs in the face of contradicting evidence. The world needs a quick wake up call before some religious fundamentalist gets his hands on a nuclear weapon and decides it's a good idea to do his god's work and eliminate the infidels.

"In the beginning God created the Heaven and the earth..." Most people are at least somewhat familiar with Genesis, the first book of the Bible and one of only a precious few resources which offer some explanation concerning the origins of mankind.

Supposedly, God made us all, beginning with Adam and Eve. The nature of the relationship between God and man was pretty much the same as man to dog.

Adam was little more than a crude reproduction of his master, with no independent intelligence. So much a mindless entity according to the Bible, Adam wasn't even aware of his own nakedness until he and Eve ate of the forbidden fruit of the Tree of Knowledge.

How much of the story is true, even from an allegorical standpoint? Obviously we came from somewhere, but where we "created" by a divine entity? Given the right conditions and enough time, would an intelligent, self-aware hominid have appeared out of the chemical chaos which evolved into the first primitive chains of amino acids many millions of years ago?

For some, the idea we evolved from these humble beginnings is ludicrous. For others, the idea we were created by a God is an equally ludicrous concept.

Just about every person has an opinion on God. A relatively small percentage of mankind believe there is no god, but even those who believe have different views and philosophies concerning who God is and what is the true reality of our relationship to him/her.

There can be little doubt that somewhere within the human mind and heart resides a deep-seated need to believe in some higher power we can look to for guidance, comfort and redemption. And, of course, there is the related aspiration to survive physical death and share fellowship with our God of choice with other "true believers" of our particular faith.

Apparently one of the few things which engender stronger emotions than the belief in god, is the belief that other human beings who believe in a different god ~ or no god ~ must be either "converted" to the "correct" religion or be exterminated along with all the symbols, rites and relics which supported the competing religous faiths.

Consequently, religion has been one of the primary causes for unending war, oppression and suffering throughout our existence. The sad thing is, for all the hatred, bloodshed and strife, there is absolutely no proof that "God" does exist as a divine entity, or that God is an active participant in the affairs of man in antiquity or today, or that mankind was created by God.

So what's my point you may be asking? My point is simply this. It's time to put the idea of "God" to the test. Enough blood has been shed, enough civilizations have been destroyed, enough people have been enslaved because of religious hatred and competition.

Isn't it time we made an effort, on a global, all-encompassing scale to get to the truth? Isn't it time, finally, for the questions about God's existence to be answered? Is there any question the world would be a far different and better place if, once and for all, mankind had a definitive answer to the existence of God through an irrefutable demonstration of God's presence or absence?

I propose a simple challenge: Let all the top leaders of all the world's major religions ~ especially Judaism, Islamism and Christianity ~ gather in one place. Let them set up an altar with all the appropriate prayers and artifacts and call upon their God to appear and provide some kind of divine, irrefutable proof of their existence.

Each leader and their associates should have a certain amount of time to get a response until every religion has called upon its God for proof. At the end of the allotted time, we would have the necessary information. There are only three possible outcomes. 1.) No religion would be successful in having their God respond is some indisputable way; 2.) One or more religions would obtain some divine proof; 3.) All religions would obtain divine proof.

What would the outcome be if such a challenge were to be issued to all the world's religions, to either "put up or shut up?"

If things were to go as I believe, no religion would be successful in producing any divine evidence of God. Obviously that would have profound implications and would create very strong feelings, ranging from utter spiritual desolation and a total abondonment of religion, to rebellion against the results of the challenge and an even more fanatical and mindless embrace of religion.

The outcome could conceivably spark the biggest war ever fought over religous differences. On the other hand, especially over a longer amount of time, mankind might be able to accept the new reality. It might be the start of mankind finally maturing and rising above his primitive superstitions to unite for the benefit of all races and all countries.

Without being at each other's throats over religion, mankind could concentrate on elevating the standard of living for everybody, to restore and renew our planet and seek out the highest and best purpose we can achieve with all that we've learned and created.

And on the other side of the coin, if the challenge resulted in obtaining irrefutable proof of the existence of God or even of more than one God, then hopefully everyone could make a more informed choice as to the proper path to take personally and in the context of all other religious faiths. But I think this is at best only a remote possibility. If we're going to realize our potential it's going to be because we have been able to overcome god-dependency and blind religious hatred and violence.

"In the beginning God created the Heaven and the earth..." Most people are at least somewhat familiar with Genesis, the first book of the Bible and one of only a precious few resources which offer some explanation concerning the origins of mankind.

Supposedly, God made us all, beginning with Adam and Eve. The nature of the relationship between God and man was pretty much the same as man to dog.

Adam was little more than a crude reproduction of his master, with no independent intelligence. So much a mindless entity according to the Bible, Adam wasn't even aware of his own nakedness until he and Eve ate of the forbidden fruit of the Tree of Knowledge.

How much of the story is true, even from an allegorical standpoint? Obviously we came from somewhere, but where we "created" by a divine entity? Given the right conditions and enough time, would an intelligent, self-aware hominid have appeared out of the chemical chaos which evolved into the first primitive chains of amino acids many millions of years ago?

For some, the idea we evolved from these humble beginnings is ludicrous. For others, the idea we were created by a God is an equally ludicrous concept.

Just about every person has an opinion on God. A relatively small percentage of mankind believe there is no god, but even those who believe have different views and philosophies concerning who God is and what is the true reality of our relationship to him/her.

There can be little doubt that somewhere within the human mind and heart resides a deep-seated need to believe in some higher power we can look to for guidance, comfort and redemption. And, of course, there is the related aspiration to survive physical death and share fellowship with our God of choice with other "true believers" of our particular faith.

Apparently one of the few things which engender stronger emotions than the belief in god, is the belief that other human beings who believe in a different god ~ or no god ~ must be either "converted" to the "correct" religion or be exterminated along with all the symbols, rites and relics which supported the competing religous faiths.

Consequently, religion has been one of the primary causes for unending war, oppression and suffering throughout our existence. The sad thing is, for all the hatred, bloodshed and strife, there is absolutely no proof that "God" does exist as a divine entity, or that God is an active participant in the affairs of man in antiquity or today, or that mankind was created by God.

So what's my point you may be asking? My point is simply this. It's time to put the idea of "God" to the test. Enough blood has been shed, enough civilizations have been destroyed, enough people have been enslaved because of religious hatred and competition.

Isn't it time we made an effort, on a global, all-encompassing scale to get to the truth? Isn't it time, finally, for the questions about God's existence to be answered? Is there any question the world would be a far different and better place if, once and for all, mankind had a definitive answer to the existence of God through an irrefutable demonstration of God's presence or absence?

I propose a simple challenge: Let all the top leaders of all the world's major religions ~ especially Judaism, Islamism and Christianity ~ gather in one place. Let them set up an altar with all the appropriate prayers and artifacts and call upon their God to appear and provide some kind of divine, irrefutable proof of their existence.

Each leader and their associates should have a certain amount of time to get a response until every religion has called upon its God for proof. At the end of the allotted time, we would have the necessary information. There are only three possible outcomes. 1.) No religion would be successful in having their God respond is some indisputable way; 2.) One or more religions would obtain some divine proof; 3.) All religions would obtain divine proof.

What would the outcome be if such a challenge were to be issued to all the world's religions, to either "put up or shut up?"

If things were to go as I believe, no religion would be successful in producing any divine evidence of God. Obviously that would have profound implications and would create very strong feelings, ranging from utter spiritual desolation and a total abondonment of religion, to rebellion against the results of the challenge and an even more fanatical and mindless embrace of religion.

The outcome could conceivably spark the biggest war ever fought over religous differences. On the other hand, especially over a longer amount of time, mankind might be able to accept the new reality. It might be the start of mankind finally maturing and rising above his primitive superstitions to unite for the benefit of all races and all countries.

Without being at each other's throats over religion, mankind could concentrate on elevating the standard of living for everybody, to restore and renew our planet and seek out the highest and best purpose we can achieve with all that we've learned and created.

And on the other side of the coin, if the challenge resulted in obtaining irrefutable proof of the existence of God or even of more than one God, then hopefully everyone could make a more informed choice as to the proper path to take personally and in the context of all other religious faiths. But I think this is at best only a remote possibility. If we're going to realize our potential it's going to be because we have been able to overcome god-dependency and blind religious hatred and violence.

The problem with what you propose is it presupposes a god you have created in your own image, who will do as you desire without any consideration of what that god might desire, and almost no one believes in such a deity.

There is, Christians would say, evidence of God as we understand Him. That evidence is rejected nonetheless:

"And he said, ‘No, father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’ But he said to him, ‘If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.’” Luke 16:30-31.

I feel that religion is very often mind control. I think the worship of God is far simpler than that. God is a being of immense power and created a universe, with it's myriad of planets, suns, galaxies etc. why would this omnipotent being care how you worship, what you wear to a building erected in his honor, or what book you choose to follow?

From a common sense view, revering him is as simple as protecting and venerating what he created. Love each other, love his gifts, love the majesty of his creation. I cannot imagine a being of such power to be so petty as to demand worship in one specific way. That by itself convinces me religion was set up to enslave people into believing a doctrine set up by that churches founder. Not saying its evil, just control.

Religion has caused more wars than any other reason, barring greed.

I feel that religion is very often mind control. I think the worship of God is far simpler than that. God is a being of immense power and created a universe, with it's myriad of planets, suns, galaxies etc. why would this omnipotent being care how you worship, what you wear to a building erected in his honor, or what book you choose to follow?

From a common sense view, revering him is as simple as protecting and venerating what he created. Love each other, love his gifts, love the majesty of his creation. I cannot imagine a being of such power to be so petty as to demand worship in one specific way. That by itself convinces me religion was set up to enslave people into believing a doctrine set up by that churches founder. Not saying its evil, just control.

Part of me wants to agree with you, because much of what you say is true. Unfortunately, if you believe God became incarnate as a man in the person of Jesus Christ and that He founded a Church through His Apostles, much of what you say goes out the window. And I don't agree that the Church is about "control." In fact, it is anything but. True freedom is found in being that which we were created to be. Living according to our own desires and the sins of the flesh is enslavement.

Which is to say, I come from such an opposite mindset that I can hardly relate to what you are saying, except to say you have a modicum of truth in there that I fear you don't recognize.

I don't mean control in a domineering nefarious way. I mean it more in the way of influence. You follow a book, a pastor, an Imam etc. you follow his interpretation of what someone else wrote. I am inno way criticizing this, as followers do it of free will. I just don't believe any one is more correct than another. It's all about what is in your heart and what you believe with that feeling.

Since I was not brought up in any one religion, I look at all of them with a dose of skepticism and a dose of reverence. I think God speaks to each of us, not individually but each of us interpret his love in our way. No two hearts or souls are the same. Common sense has to factor into it. He gave us free will and the ability to question.

I applaud your beliefs. It's good to have faith in what you believe. I believe somewhat unconventionally, and I try to adhere to the basic tenants of religion. I just think that God gave us the power, to seek him out.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dtan with a Plan

Who would have thought that the most objective, literate posters could be found on ABL?

Wait...TATF is nothing but homertrolls engaging in illogical groupthink.

So I guess this, in a weird way, makes sense.

• 3 weeks later...

Bible real or is the Bible fiction....

Well I would rather live my life as a Christian, die and find out it was a lie than live my life as though it is fiction, die and find out I am screwed for all eternity. The moral standards is a plus too not to mention that telling someone "You can go to Heil!" when he or she pizz you off would lose some of it's effect if no one believes in it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
The historical accuracy of the Bible takes a backseat to the messages contained therein. I personally don't believe that a city full of anal rapists got turned into a bunch of salt, or that a really old guy built a boat to carry 2 of every animal. Or even that a Jewish zombie moved a giant rock by himself after being buried for 3 days.

The messages from all of these parables are far more important than their "facts".

Contemporary Christians seem to forget that.

The noahs arc theory didn't make sense to me. Where were the dinosaures, elephants, alligators,

polar bears, etc, etc. Also the flooding of the earth to punish eveyone. And walking on water or the parting of the sea or taking of adams rib to create another person???????????????

Here is my take...

The bible and religion were created as a way for early humans to explain the things that he/she did not understand. The best way to make sense of the unknown was to classify the unknown as created by the man in the sky, AKA god. As time has progressed, and science has made sense of the things early humans could not understand, we furthermore realize that there are other explanations for the "unknown." Examples being weather, evolution, chemistry, physics. Basically all the things science explains today. Basically it was and is currently used as a reasoning method for human beings.

What is interesting is that no other animals follows a religion. Humans have far superior reasoning skills and communication than any other animals in the animal kingdom. Thus we developed an early way to take advantage of this skill, by using religion to explain the unknown. People fear the unknown, to such a degree that religion was and is used to keep people at ease. A great example of this is shown in the way religions handle death.

Many of the the things preached in the bible and religion, to me, is bogus in today's world. Science has disproved many, many, things that religion considers to still be relevant (Creationism, revolution of the Earth, religious medical practices, etc.). I feel that in today's world the Bible should be hung up as one of the greatest and most famous fiction books ever. That does have a hint of history, but also alot of incorrect "facts."

Bible real or is the Bible fiction....

Well I would rather live my life as a Christian, die and find out it was a lie than live my life as though it is fiction, die and find out I am screwed for all eternity. The moral standards is a plus too not to mention that telling someone "You can go to Heil!" when he or she pizz you off would lose some of it's effect if no one believes in it.

No joke.

I for one refuse to believe that I am a meaningless, worthless being that is wandering aimlessly through this Earth only to die and be gone forever. I also refuse to believe that I am nothing more than an intelligent ape... where and when has the theory of evolution ever been proven to be an absolute fact? Just because "scientists" say it's true doesn't mean it's true... most of the "missing links" and huge discoveries are built upon very small percentages of a skeleton that in many cases turned out to be nothing close to what they claimed it to be... If people what to question the contents of the Bible on one hand, but on the other they believe a theory that has been supported by a skeleton of "ape man" that was built on the discovery of one tooth, which in turn was discovered to actually be from an extinct species of pig...

There are an astounding and undeniable amount of prophecies in the Bible that were fulfilled 100's of years later - way more to be just a coincidence or a lucky guess, that for me proves the truth of the work...

If you've never read the Bible and you are going to pass it off as nothing more than a "work of fiction"; read through at least the start of the New Testament and realize the sacrafice that Jesus Christ made for you; and if you still don't believe, then at least we can say we tried...

For the preaching of the cross is foolishness to them that perish...

Anyone who doesn't believe in the Bible has not read it with an open mind and a willingness to seek God. His Word never returns void. Maybe some have read it just to prove it's falsehood. In that case...

For this cause did He give them over to their reprobate mind...

Archived