Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Youngin

The bible is a work of fiction

422 posts in this topic

In fact, you prove anything false about it, and I will give up my beliefs...But I must warn you, the more you look, the more you will be waisting your life away.

There was a guy that challenged his teacher that God didnt exist. So she told him to do a report on it. So he got up all the books he could find to research and to prove that he didnt exist. In the end he became a born again Christian. :D

AMEN!

I cant remember the guys name, but I remember the story very well. Im sure that will get little to no credibility with the guy that started this thread, lol.

AutoMax likes this

The historical accuracy of the Bible takes a backseat to the messages contained therein. I personally don't believe that a city full of anal rapists got turned into a bunch of salt, or that a really old guy built a boat to carry 2 of every animal. Or even that a Jewish zombie moved a giant rock by himself after being buried for 3 days.

The messages from all of these parables are far more important than their "facts".

Contemporary Christians seem to forget that.

AF89, Konar, saintsfiend and 2 others like this

The historical accuracy of the Bible takes a backseat to the messages contained therein. I personally don't believe that a city full of anal rapists got turned into a bunch of salt, or that a really old guy built a boat to carry 2 of every animal. Or even that a Jewish zombie moved a giant rock by himself after being buried for 3 days.

The messages from all of these parables are far more important than their "facts".

Contemporary Christians seem to forget that.

So you refer to Jesus Christ as "a Jewish zombie"? Wow. :blink:

Knight of God and Adema1226 like this

So you refer to Jesus Christ as "a Jewish zombie"? Wow. :blink:

Sorry. That description was inaccurate. I should have said "a Jewish zombie with holes in his hands".

Does it matter how I refer to him? My point is still the same, that the literacy of the Bible should take a backseat to the overall message on morality (love your fellow man as you love yourself and god).

GuerillaOntology and rugger8 like this

Sorry. That description was inaccurate. I should have said "a Jewish zombie with holes in his hands".

Does it matter how I refer to him? My point is still the same, that the literacy of the Bible should take a backseat to the overall message on morality (love your fellow man as you love yourself and god).

If that is the only thing you get out of the Bible then you are missing it. Jesus came down to Earth to die for all man kinds sins. He was buried and returned 3 days later. He is the only way to Heaven because of his sacrifice.

You reduce him to a mere zombie. How is that even close to the message the Bible is trying to get across?

If that is the only thing you get out of the Bible then you are missing it. Jesus came down to Earth to die for all man kinds sins. He was buried and returned 3 days later. He is the only way to Heaven because of his sacrifice.

You reduce him to a mere zombie. How is that even close to the message the Bible is trying to get across?

Why does it matter whether or not zombie Jesus really rose from the dead after 3 days? Why does it matter whether he actually turned a cup of wine into 5000? By over-emphasizing the supposed veracity of all these parables, you give critics of Christianity easy ammunition.

And, yes, I would argue that my interpretation of "love your fellow man as you love yourself and god" is a pretty close interpretation of something I DID get out of the Bible. But, here's the quote (biblequestions.org)

"Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you," Jesus said, "do ye even so to them...",

Or is that not the message the Bible is trying to get across?

rugger8 likes this

Buried and returned 3 days later.......where did he go?

If Jesus was Jewish, and spoke of an afterlife in Heaven, then explain to me why the Torah does not mention an afterlife, but speaks mostly about how most should live and treat others in real life.

Even that has become diluted......The Israelis just might be the most aggressive, combatant group to date.........Well, maybe not, I forgot about the Islamic extremists.

Why does it matter whether or not zombie Jesus really rose from the dead after 3 days? Why does it matter whether he actually turned a cup of wine into 5000? By over-emphasizing the supposed veracity of all these parables, you give critics of Christianity easy ammunition.

And, yes, I would argue that my interpretation of "love your fellow man as you love yourself and god" is a pretty close interpretation of something I DID get out of the Bible. But, here's the quote (biblequestions.org)

Or is that not the message the Bible is trying to get across?

Loving others as yourself is the 2nd greatest commandment. The greatest commandment is to love God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength, per Jesus. If we elevate the 2nd greatest above the first then we are actually missing the message of the Bible. Most religions teach that doing good works for others is the best way to live life and I wouldn't disagree, but the Bible is different because of the motivations of doing so.

Eastern religions, Islam, etc. teach that works is what gets us to heaven/nirvana/transcendence, etc. Christ taught that the only way to do that is by the grace of God through faith and that the good works is a celebratory response to grace that strengthens our faith.

= my 2 cents

everytime i hear someone say the Bible is fiction, all I respond with is this...Prove it. Give me 100% evidence you can prove its false. About anything.....

Since you're taking this route, prove to me the Koran is false, or the Torah. Prove to me that Zeus or the other Greek gods don't exist. Prove to me Ra isn't real. Prove to me Thor doesn't exist; You can't. You're just arbitrarily picking a God that you want to exist. Also I find it hard to believe that the 4.5 billion people on earth who aren't Christians are going to ****, after all they didn't accept Jesus Christ as their savior. Your bible and your religion is crap.

Find one yourself. The fact is, the Bible describes people, places, and events that took place thousands of years ago and modern archaeology and anthropology has found that much of the biblical accounts are historically accurate. Not so much the mythology/magical/miracle aspects, but as far as lineage of kings, history of ancient cities, wars, etc.

The bible is an extremely important historical document, and it is not "a work of fiction".

I don't agree with a literal interpretation of the Bible. Doesn't change the fact that you're wrong.

rugger8 and King ED like this

The Bible covers a LOT of ground, from the beginning of the universe to a prediction of the end of the world. It is a collection of many works collected into two volumes. Just that makes your question impossible to answer.

The other fly in your ointment is: which Bible? There are many, many versions approved by many different religious organizations. Some folks believe their version should be believed word-for-word while others are less concerned about exact wording and rely more on all the supporting historical evidence and writings collected by the Church since the Crucifixion.

Was the earth created in six days? Maybe, maybe not. It is a good way to help explain to uneducated tribesmen the story of creation. Is it important to believe the biblical account as exact truth? I don't think so. Same thing goes for a lot of the Old Testament.

As far as the gospels go, there is a lot of supporting evidence in the 2,000 year history of the Church. They just didn't make it up 300-400 years ago. The rest of it is faith. Either you do or you don't accept it. That's your call.

chazbykr likes this

My thing is this:

First of all, I see Enlightened's signature. I have to say, that's bullcrap. Just to mark what I'm talking about though:

Id rather believe in God, die, and find out that he doesnt exist, then to not believe in God, die, and find out he does.

Logically, this is a faulty argument.

If there is no God, then there is no Heaven, which means no 'after life'. Likely, it also means we don't have souls. So, when we die, there will be nothing to find out because nothing will pass on. Your state of consciousness will end.

So, you'll either find out there's a God or find out nothing at all.

As for the Bible being fictitious, some of it is considered historically accurate. The fact that Jesus did walk on Earth and was crucified is considered fact among historians world wide.

However, I find certain stories incredibly hard to believe. Example: Noah's Ark.

Which if you take a gander, is a story that has been told a thousand times a thousand different ways. It's likely this story was adopted and re-told, Bible style.

And finally, if you're one of those people who believe the earth has only been around a few thousand years...

lift up your right hand and slap yourself.

I think a much better question to pose is, "Would a truly loving God, who loves us more than we could even fathom, send us to ****?"

TheInfamousBayne likes this