Can Matt Ryan figure out the New Orleans defense to lead the Falcons to victory?

califalcfan

After the devastating loss to the Cowboys, many people are down on this upcoming MNF match up, and rightfully so. This team was embarrassed in a as-close-to-playing-on-primetime-without-playing-on-primetime match up (aka a game in Dallas against the Boys) and goes to the dome of the undefeated New Orleans Saints. The Saints have shown to be a tremendously balanced team as their defense finally begins to pull their weight, but is that defense actually legit after some dominating performances? After watching the Falcons and numerous other teams carve up the Saints pass defense last year, I find it hard to believe that they were able to change the defense that quickly; there still have to be some problems with that defense, and if any QB can exploit it, why not Matt Ryan?

The Saints defense so far

As the season has progressed, one unit that pops out in it's performance is the defense of the Saints. After a terrible year last year, they rank 11th in yards allowed and 13th in points allowed. Despite impressive statistics, let's look at the type of scheme that Greg Williams has brought in and the results it has produced. Greg Williams is known to be an aggressive defensive coordinator that will bring pressure to the QB from the blitz and have the secondary reap the benefits of poorly thrown balls under pressure. So far, this scheme has resulted in success, but against who? Stafford (first start), Kolb (first start), Sanchez (3rd start), Edwards (20-30 starts), E. Manning (70+) and Chad Henne (2nd start)? Obviously, an aggressive and blitzing defense will get to QBs with such little experience (and skill). The only impressive output by the Saints pass defense was against the Eli Manning and the pass offense of the Giants - shutting down all those other QBs is a joke.

Eli Manning vs. the blitz

During the Giants-Saints game, Eli Manning completed 19 of 37 pass attempts (51.3%) for 178 yards (4.8 ypa) and 1 TD to 1 INT (61 QB rating). From the looks of the statistics and the game, Eli Manning was obviously flustered in New Orleans. But looking more deeply into the tendencies of the franchise QB Manning and Greg Williams, this sort of result could have been seen coming. Last year, Manning finally posted a season with good numbers: 60.3% for 3238 yards (6.8 YPA) and 21 TDs to 10 INTs (86.4 QB rating). However, when he faced the blitz, it was a different story: 52.4%, 6.35 YPA, 10 TDs to 7 INT, 74.4 QB rating. From the looks of it, it seems obvious that Eli Manning struggles against the blitz, which is exactly what Greg William's forte is. The blitz was able to work on this franchise passer, but how effective can this attacking scheme be against Atlanta's Matt Ryan?

Matt Ryan vs. the Saints and the blitz

As a rookie, Ryan faced the Saints defense twice and tore them apart. His numbers from last year (so therefore, his career numbers) against the Saints are as follows: 40/56 (71.4%) for 563 yards (10.0 YPA) and 3 TD to 1 INT (113.9 QB rating). Even though it is only his 2nd year (so the following statement doesn't mean much), Ryan owns the Saints defense. What about blitzes? As a rookie, Ryan showed the ability to recognize blitzes like no rookie QB before him; by the end of the season, Ryan admitted that teams were blitzing him less. Though there is a slight drop from his regular season rookie numbers (61.1%, 7.9 YPA, 87.7 QB rating) to him being blitzed (58.4%, 7.5 YPA, 85.9 QB rating), it is obvious that Ryan has not only handled the blitz this year, but excelled under that situation. Ryan's completion percentage goes up by 3, YPA by 1.8 (90 yard TD to White skews this), and QB rating by 25 when he is blitzed.

1. Ryan owns the Saints

2. Ryan owns the blitz

3. Saints like to blitz

Feel free to bring the blitzes, Greg Williams. Feel free.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He'll need help from the running game. If the Saints get up early and the Falcons can't run the ball, they'll tee off on Ryan. He could enter that elite status this Monday Night if he can keep them in the game basically all by himself if this is the case, but I don't know if he's ready for that yet. Turner has to show up this week.

Wont matter unless he can score 50+ points. The saints offense avg's a 40 points per game and thats not a type o. So given our horrible secondary look for this to go into the 50's.

2 games in 20s, 4 in the 40s

This is a division game which tends to be a bit closer but I understand what your saying

I swear, if we don't run a few screens on Monday night ....

Yeah i hope we run a few screen with either Antone Smith or Aaron Stecker, heck even Turner, Snelling somebody 4 real. This is Mularkey season to audition for one of three things a new job as a head coach or replaced as the OC, keep his job because he likes working with Ryan. AT his point I will take option 1 or 2

As a rookie, Ryan faced the Saints defense twice and tore them apart. His numbers from last year (so therefore, his career numbers) against the Saints are as follows: 40/56 (71.4%) for 563 yards (10.0 YPA) and 3 TD to 1 INT (113.9 QB rating). Even though it is only his 2nd year (so the following statement doesn't mean much), Ryan owns the Saints defense. What about blitzes? As a rookie, Ryan showed the ability to recognize blitzes like no rookie QB before him; by the end of the season, Ryan admitted that teams were blitzing him less. Though there is a slight drop from his regular season rookie numbers (61.1%, 7.9 YPA, 87.7 QB rating) to him being blitzed (58.4%, 7.5 YPA, 85.9 QB rating), it is obvious that Ryan has not only handled the blitz this year, but excelled under that situation. Ryan's completion percentage goes up by 3, YPA by 1.8 (90 yard TD to White skews this), and QB rating by 25 when he is blitzed.

1. Ryan owns the Saints

2. Ryan owns the blitz

3. Saints like to blitz

I mentioned this elsewhere but there's a pretty big difference between throwing the ball at Jason David, Usama Young, and Josh Bullocks of last year as compared to throwing the ball at Tracy Porter, Jabari Greer, and Darren Sharper. Currently the Saints are #1 in the league in opponent passer rating at 54.6 and they've gotten at least one interception in every game so far for a total of 13.

I mentioned this elsewhere but there's a pretty big difference between throwing the ball at Jason David, Usama Young, and Josh Bullocks of last year as compared to throwing the ball at Tracy Porter, Jabari Greer, and Darren Sharper. Currently the Saints are #1 in the league in opponent passer rating at 54.6 and they've gotten at least one interception in every game so far for a total of 13.

That right there is the biggest difference in the 2009 Saints defense. Throw in a relative lack of injury and Williams' lack of predictability, plus their continuing success on offense, and the various Saints power rankings make a lot of sense.

If we focus our attention bak on Roddy White instead of Tony Gonzalez, he can do it.

If we continue this love fest with TG, I don't see him being successful. I don't think any CB in the league can cover Roddy one-on-one. He may drop a few, but he usually gets open.

Get the focus off of TG and we will be successful.

I'm not going to downplay that your defense is much better. But the QB rating? C'mon.

Matthew Stafford - first start ever in the NFL = rated 27.4

Kevin Kolb - first start ever in the NFL = rated 73.2

Trent Edwards - he rated 56.4 then in his next game (Miami) he rated 51.0 then his next game (Cleveland) he rated 52.1 - so he had a higher rating against you than his next 2 games - and one was the Browns!

Mark Sanchez - 4th start ever in the NFL - rated 27.0 (hey he had a rating of 8.0 against Buffalo!)

Eli Manning - the one QB who you can talk about - Had a QB rating of 61.0 - but he was also playing with a bad foot - and he turned around and had a QB rating of 47.5 against Arizona the next week.

Chad Henne - 3rd start ever in the NFL - rated 45.0

Now - there are many things you can brag about with your defense. They are playing lights out this year - but opposing team QB ratings? Even you have to see how silly a stat that is considering the facts.

Consider the QB's the Falcons have faced:

Chad Pennington - always ranked in the top - last year finished number one in rating.

Jake Delhomme - there's the bad one - however - he came to play on that day - that is for sure.

Tom Brady - need I say any more?

Jay Cutler - another elite QB

and

Tony Romo - who is usually ranked in the top 5 of QB's by rating. He plays lights out in the beginning of the year - doesn't lose it until late November - early December.

Now - if you played those QB's and still had that stat - I'd be very, very impressed.

I'm not going to downplay that your defense is much better. But the QB rating? C'mon.

Trent Edwards - he rated 56.4 then in his next game (Miami) he rated 51.0 then his next game (Cleveland) he rated 52.1 - so he had a higher rating against you than his next 2 games - and one was the Browns!

Mark Sanchez - 4th start ever in the NFL - rated 27.0 (hey he had a rating of 8.0 against Buffalo!)

Eli Manning - the one QB who you can talk about - Had a QB rating of 61.0 - but he was also playing with a bad foot - and he turned around and had a QB rating of 47.5 against Arizona the next week.

Now - there are many things you can brag about with your defense. They are playing lights out this year - but opposing team QB ratings? Even you have to see how silly a stat that is considering the facts.

FTW!!!!!

Ryan has to play the game of his life.

He can't have the breakdowns he had in Arizona last year or last week in Dallas or in New England. This is a big game for him and for the season. Not all is lost if we lose but back to back loses are tough and can be demoralizing.

This is the kinda game where stars are born.

Someone needs to wake up Turner.

Hello, I am new to these boards, although I have been a lurker for a few years now. I am a die hard Falcons fan for about 10 years now and because I live in Ottawa Canada I am one of the only ones around. For the last 4 years I have bought my local TV sports pack and have watched every Falcons game.

Now speaking about Matt Ryan, this young man has impressed me so much in his short career. Statistically, Matt Ryan is having a much better start this year then he did last year but I don't think he is playing as well as he did last year. Last season, every week Matty Ice would complete some passes that just blew my mind, he was not afraid of stretching the field and throwing the ball deep into tight coverage to let our receivers make plays. This year I have yet to see that kind of touch and accuracy that he showed last year and there has only been a couple of plays that really make me say wow (In the 49ers game and Dolphins game there were a couple). I know Turner running the way he was last year helped but the addition of Tony should make our passing attack so much better.

Last year during the month of November Matt Ryan was almost unstoppable and had his best month statistically.

In 5 games he completed 68% of his passes for 1184 yards 6 tds and 1 int for a QB rating of 109.6. In 3 of those games he had a QB rating of over 130 and one of those games was against the New Orleans Saints. I understand they have a new defensive scheme but like it was mentioned above, Matt Ryan excels against the blitz, we just need better play calling.

IMHO I think Matt Ryan can lead the Falcons to victory against any team in the NFL and I believe in our Coaching staff to not lose back to back games in a must win situation against a division rival. Our players will show up ready to play and I think they will win a close victory.

34-27 Falcons !

We'll see how Ryan handles a scheme that actually masks its blitzes. Completely different secondary than what Ryan faced last year. This isn't the crap scheme that Gibbs was running where blitzes were painfully obvious (when he actually did blitz)

Falcons have to get the run game going to help out Ryan. Its going to be a real good game though I can't wait.

Edited by BnG

There is a big difference in defending throws against Stafford and Sanchez as compared to Matt Ryan. The only QB that was even close to Ryan's skill level was Manning (and I would be inclined to think that Ryan is the better passer). His receivers included Steve Smith, Mario Manningham, and Kevin Boss. Our receivers are Roddy White, Michael Jenkins, and Tony Gonzalez. Speaking of big differences...

Of course, I am not going to say that Ryan will have a great day for sure, but if Greg Williams continues to call blitzes against the Falcons, Ryan HAS THE ABILITY to make the Saints pay. The offense can come up flat on a road dome game on MNF as well.

Consider the QB's the Falcons have faced:

Chad Pennington - always ranked in the top - last year finished number one in rating.

Jake Delhomme - there's the bad one - however - he came to play on that day - that is for sure.

Tom Brady - need I say any more?

Jay Cutler - another elite QB

and

Tony Romo - who is usually ranked in the top 5 of QB's by rating. He plays lights out in the beginning of the year - doesn't lose it until late November - early December.

Now - if you played those QB's and still had that stat - I'd be very, very impressed.

Atlanta's opponent QBs have a passer rating of 83.9 vs everyone not named Atlanta while they have a passer rating of 84.1 against Atlanta.

The Saints' opponent QBs have a passer rating of 84.9 vs everyone not named New Orleans while they have a passer rating of 54.6 against the Saints (this includes a fake field goal 25 yard TD pass so it's actually worse)

Atlanta's opponent QBs have a passer rating of 83.9 vs everyone not named Atlanta while they have a passer rating of 84.1 against Atlanta.

The Saints' opponent QBs have a passer rating of 84.9 vs everyone not named New Orleans while they have a passer rating of 54.6 against the Saints (this includes a fake field goal 25 yard TD pass so it's actually worse)

Please don't continue to revisit the QB thing. Obviously, you didn't read the names. That is just the silliest thing I've ever heard.

4 rookies, a hurt guy and Trent Edwards. Oh - that's so impressive.

Please don't continue to revisit the QB thing. Obviously, you didn't read the names. That is just the silliest thing I've ever heard.

4 rookies, a hurt guy and Trent Edwards. Oh - that's so impressive.

2 rookies, not 4. Eli Manning had a perfect QB rating the week before playing the Saints on that "hurt" foot.

And please, Jake Delhomme? Chad Pennington? Tony Romo? Shaun Hill? Some of the most criticized QBs in sports.

Fact is, Saints opponents play well when they're not playing the Saints, theres not much else that needs to be said.

I should also mention that Henne and Kolb have been in the league at least as long as Ryan. Experience does not mean everything.

Edited by bradael

After the devastating loss to the Cowboys, many people are down on this upcoming MNF match up, and rightfully so. This team was embarrassed in a as-close-to-playing-on-primetime-without-playing-on-primetime match up (aka a game in Dallas against the Boys) and goes to the dome of the undefeated New Orleans Saints. The Saints have shown to be a tremendously balanced team as their defense finally begins to pull their weight, but is that defense actually legit after some dominating performances? After watching the Falcons and numerous other teams carve up the Saints pass defense last year, I find it hard to believe that they were able to change the defense that quickly; there still have to be some problems with that defense, and if any QB can exploit it, why not Matt Ryan?

The Saints defense so far

As the season has progressed, one unit that pops out in it's performance is the defense of the Saints. After a terrible year last year, they rank 11th in yards allowed and 13th in points allowed. Despite impressive statistics, let's look at the type of scheme that Greg Williams has brought in and the results it has produced. Greg Williams is known to be an aggressive defensive coordinator that will bring pressure to the QB from the blitz and have the secondary reap the benefits of poorly thrown balls under pressure. So far, this scheme has resulted in success, but against who? Stafford (first start), Kolb (first start), Sanchez (3rd start), Edwards (20-30 starts), E. Manning (70+) and Chad Henne (2nd start)? Obviously, an aggressive and blitzing defense will get to QBs with such little experience (and skill). The only impressive output by the Saints pass defense was against the Eli Manning and the pass offense of the Giants - shutting down all those other QBs is a joke.

Eli Manning vs. the blitz

During the Giants-Saints game, Eli Manning completed 19 of 37 pass attempts (51.3%) for 178 yards (4.8 ypa) and 1 TD to 1 INT (61 QB rating). From the looks of the statistics and the game, Eli Manning was obviously flustered in New Orleans. But looking more deeply into the tendencies of the franchise QB Manning and Greg Williams, this sort of result could have been seen coming. Last year, Manning finally posted a season with good numbers: 60.3% for 3238 yards (6.8 YPA) and 21 TDs to 10 INTs (86.4 QB rating). However, when he faced the blitz, it was a different story: 52.4%, 6.35 YPA, 10 TDs to 7 INT, 74.4 QB rating. From the looks of it, it seems obvious that Eli Manning struggles against the blitz, which is exactly what Greg William's forte is. The blitz was able to work on this franchise passer, but how effective can this attacking scheme be against Atlanta's Matt Ryan?

1. Ryan owns the Saints

2. Ryan owns the blitz

3. Saints like to blitz

Was Greg Williams with the Saints last year?????