Dimitroff and Co will not sign top FAs unless they are future HOFs...

Mr. Right

It has been a goal of Dimitroff and Co. to avoid signing big name FAs. In fact signing big name FAs runs in absolute opposition to their philosophy. Why? We believe in building through the draft.

Because of this philosophy, don't expect any big name players like DeMarcus Ware or Shawn Merriman to come our way this off-season. We may toss our name in the mix as potential 'suitor's' but it'll just be stirring the pot.

The only FAs we will sign are second tier players, back up players, no-namers, or future HOFs that come at a bargain basement price. The main reason for this is Dimitroff and Co. want to be able to brainwash young guys into believing in the system. If a player has started somewhere else in the league, chances are he won't buy into our system, and thus not play to the best of his abilities and eventually turn out to be a thug and lockerroom cancer. Dimitroff and Co. also do not like to spend money and rather use bills to stuff pillows than to bring in a few big name FAs to fill a couple of missing pieces.

So don't expect any big FA signings this year - even with the salary cap removed. Although it would be great to see some of these players as a Falcon: Ronnie Brown, Darren Sproles, Leon Washington, Richard Seymour, Elvis Dumervil, Thomas Howard.

But that will not happen. We will live and die by the draft. Hit on Matt Ryan, and miss on Pariah Jerry and the new Bryan Scott. Hit on Harry Douglas and miss on William Middleton.

Our playoff chances may be just as unpredictable as how our draft picks turn out.

Edited by Mr. Right

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been a goal of Dimitroff and Co. to avoid signing big name FAs. In fact signing big name FAs runs in absolute opposition to their philosophy. Why? We believe in building through the draft.

Because of this philosophy, don't expect any big name players like DeMarcus Ware or Shawn Merriman to come our way this off-season. We may toss our name in the mix as potential 'suitor's' but it'll just be stirring the pot.

The only FAs we will sign are second tier players, back up players, no-namers, or future HOFs that come at a bargain basement price. The main reason for this is Dimitroff and Co. want to be able to brainwash young guys into believing in the system. If a player has started somewhere else in the league, chances are he won't buy into our system, and thus not play to the best of his abilities and eventually turn out to be a thug and lockerroom cancer. Dimitroff and Co. also do not like to spend money and rather use bills to stuff pillows than to bring in a few big name FAs to fill a couple of missing pieces.

So don't expect any big FA signings this year - even with the salary cap removed. Although it would be great to see some of these players as a Falcon: Ronnie Brown, Darren Sproles, Leon Washington, Richard Seymour, Elvis Dumervil, Thomas Howard.

But that will not happen. We will live and die by the draft. Hit on Matt Ryan, and miss on Pariah Jerry and the new Bryan Scott. Hit on Harry Douglas and miss on William Middleton.

Our playoff chances may be just as unpredictable as how our draft picks turn out.

they build through the Draft and also fill in holes in FA. I really think that we will see a FA CB signed this offseason. All those other players that you listed are not filling a position of need, you just seem to be caught up in the hype of a name and not trying to fill the Right Positions.

That's the strategy that many teams around the league use. When was the last time the Steelers made a big free agent splash? The Colts? Not exactly the worst model to follow.

Look at the big free agent signings of the offseason:

Haynesworth

Owens

Houshmandzadeh

Scott

What's the common denominator of all of those teams? Only one of them is over .500 and they have a combined record of 11-15...

they build through the Draft and also fill in holes in FA. I really think that we will see a FA CB signed this offseason. All those other players that you listed are not filling a position of need, you just seem to be caught up in the hype of a name and not trying to fill the Right Positions.

Actually those are the players we do need. Norwood will likely not be re-signed - hence we need another RB. Like I've said in my other thread, Turner is one-dimensional. Sproles, Washington, and Brown are all two dimensional - though Sproles and Washington would be more of a fit. Howard is needed because Peterson will not be here forever. Seymour and Dumervil are both needed because where's our pass rush?

We signed Turner last season....

He wasn't a starter on the Chargers and was basically a no-name.

We signed Turner last season....

Yes, but he was relatively cheap, considering what RB's usually cost, and we were forced to make lots of improvements through the draft. I would think this offseason will be much more like their plan going on, as they aren't forced to improve a 4-12 team.

But Richard Seymour is really beasting it up in Oakland.

I agree, its the philosophy NE has gone by. Thats what is so remarkable about last season, and this season. We are a young team that gonna continue adding young talent that going to continue getting better.

We shall see. Last year it looked like a good plan. After this year, I'm not so sure.

There were a few more misses this year.

Yes, but he was relatively cheap, considering what RB's usually cost, and we were forced to make lots of improvements through the draft. I would think this offseason will be much more like their plan going on, as they aren't forced to improve a 4-12 team.

But Richard Seymour is really beasting it up in Oakland.

Too bad we didn't get him.

Actually those are the players we do need. Norwood will likely not be re-signed - hence we need another RB. Like I've said in my other thread, Turner is one-dimensional. Sproles, Washington, and Brown are all two dimensional - though Sproles and Washington would be more of a fit. Howard is needed because Peterson will not be here forever. Seymour and Dumervil are both needed because where's our pass rush?

We dont need a FA to fill in for Norwood, you can easily draft a replacement, no need to spend the money that Sproles/Washington will be asking for. WE have DT's and DE that are our pass rushers. Beirmann, Abe, Sidbury, Jerry, BAbs, JA98. We have youth and we have depth, no need to spend huge money on a DT or DE unless they are going to be an everydown DE, like a player like Aaron Kampman. WE can find a cheaper replacement for Peterson in the draft, the way Peterson is playing he looks to be able to finish out his 2 year contract. So no those are players that are definite needs, they are just expensive signings that will get us all the media hype you want.

We dont need a FA to fill in for Norwood, you can easily draft a replacement, no need to spend the money that Sproles/Washington will be asking for. WE have DT's and DE that are our pass rushers. Beirmann, Abe, Sidbury, Jerry, BAbs, JA98. We have youth and we have depth, no need to spend huge money on a DT or DE unless they are going to be an everydown DE, like a player like Aaron Kampman. WE can find a cheaper replacement for Peterson in the draft, the way Peterson is playing he looks to be able to finish out his 2 year contract. So no those are players that are definite needs, they are just expensive signings that will get us all the media hype you want.

Drafting players is less predictable than signing players. We know Richard Seymour will perform. Thomas Howard will probably perform too. Just look at our draft this year. Who has made an impact so far? FAs can come in and immediately make an impact.

Except for replacing Norwood by drafting a RB, FAs would be the better route if we want to win now. Gonzalez will only be here for 1 more year and same with Peterson. Next year is the last year where we will have the majority of the pieces needed to win.

Edited by Mr. Right

As a non starter and a "no-name" He was a big FA in 2008.

Drafting players is less predictable than signing players. We know Richard Seymour will perform. Thomas Howard will probably perform too. Just look at our draft this year. Who has made an impact so far? FAs can come in and immediately make an impact.

Except for replacing Norwood by drafting a RB, FAs would be the better route if we want to win now. Gonzalez will only be here for 1 more year and same with Peterson. Next year is the last year where we will have the majority of the pieces needed to win.

Actually FA signings are turning out to be risky now-a days too, there is not a guarantee that whatever FA Signing is going to come in and play at the same level as they did with their previous team and previous system. If you draft the right players and have a good coaching staff then you lessen the risk with Rookies, injuries happen whether you are a FA or a rookie so dont even bring up the Jerry or Moore situation. I like Gonzalez but we still managed to do fine without him. Peterson is a major upgrade for our LB core but you can draft a LB just like we drafted Lofton.

I agree with the philosophy about building thru the draft, but disagree with "a miss" on Pariah Jerry. Enough time hasn't passed to make that call yet. If I remember correctly Sam Baker missed a lot due of time to injuries too his first season and he is doing fine now in his 2nd, and who knows- the same could be possible with PJ. He was playing well before his was injured just like Baker so I will hold out on that one for now. Also, even though I believe in the draft process, I would like to see a FA acquired in that secondary. With the way we are severely lacking in both skill and height back there, we can not wait for drafted CBs to develop to shore that up or what occurred in the Dallas game will continue. We need to fix that as soon as possible and the draft will take too long.

Edited by DBFever2

Actually FA signings are turning out to be risky now-a days too, there is not a guarantee that whatever FA Signing is going to come in and play at the same level as they did with their previous team and previous system. If you draft the right players and have a good coaching staff then you lessen the risk with Rookies, injuries happen whether you are a FA or a rookie so dont even bring up the Jerry or Moore situation. I like Gonzalez but we still managed to do fine without him. Peterson is a major upgrade for our LB core but you can draft a LB just like we drafted Lofton.

You can always have an incentive based clause for FAs. Rookies have a higher chance of miss than FAs and that's a fact. Otherwise we'd have 220+ new starters in the league each year.

Edited by Mr. Right

You can always have an incentive based clause for FAs. Rookies have a higher chance of miss than FAs and that's a fact. Otherwise we'd have 220+ new starters in the league each year.

YOu are more likely to get an incentive based clause with Rookies thatn a FA, they want their guaranteed money main, especially if they are a top FA in that Category. I do agree that Rookies do, but most 1st, 2nd round picks are looking to start immdiately than picks drafted in the later rounds. In case you didnt now but teams do draft players for depth and special teams tooo and not every pick is going to be a starter.

Thats not true.... How do you think we got Michael Turner and Erik Coleman... Thru freeagency..... We did not attack freeagency this year because it would have messed up our 2010 NFL Draft compensatory picks for losing foxworth, Grady Jackson, and boley.......

That's the only reason we did not sign freeagents this year.... We will sign some next year tho.

yall can believe this if yall want to, but if we do abide by this philisophy, we will continue to struggle, and not be in contention to win the nfc south. Why the heck would you go out and get more "younger" players when we are already young now. What sense does it make for a younger corner to come in here and learn from chris houston or brent grimes on the in's and outs of playing a corner when houston and grimes suck. Sorry to be so blunt, but it would be a waste of a high draft pick to draft another project corner when you can go out and get a mid to high 20's corner like a nnamandi asomunga and spend the money because he is worth every penny. Thats our position of need right now and has always been ever since letting go of d-hall. Yes i know some of you might balk at that d-hall comment, but the fact of the matter is, some QB's respected d-halls play making ability and didnt throw the ball his way. If we are trying to win now, there is no more room for rookies, we need experience, especially in our secondary.

Thats not true.... How do you think we got Michael Turner and Erik Coleman... Thru freeagency..... We did not attack freeagency this year because it would have messed up our 2010 NFL Draft compensatory picks for losing foxworth, Grady Jackson, and boley.......

That's the only reason we did not sign freeagents this year.... We will sign some next year tho.

Both Turner and Coleman were not big name FAs when we signed them. Turner was a backup and Coleman, I believe was injured and was probably a back up also.

yall can believe this if yall want to, but if we do abide by this philisophy, we will continue to struggle, and not be in contention to win the nfc south. Why the heck would you go out and get more "younger" players when we are already young now. What sense does it make for a younger corner to come in here and learn from chris houston or brent grimes on the in's and outs of playing a corner when houston and grimes suck. Sorry to be so blunt, but it would be a waste of a high draft pick to draft another project corner when you can go out and get a mid to high 20's corner like a nnamandi asomunga and spend the money because he is worth every penny. Thats our position of need right now and has always been ever since letting go of d-hall. Yes i know some of you might balk at that d-hall comment, but the fact of the matter is, some QB's respected d-halls play making ability and didnt throw the ball his way. If we are trying to win now, there is no more room for rookies, we need experience, especially in our secondary.

YOu might be jumping the gun here Crank, nobody is saying that they dont want a FA CB, we just dont need to go all crazy and get FA in alot of positions, but CB is a need that is best filled with a FA CB, not a rookie.

Both Turner and Coleman were not big name FAs when we signed them. Turner was a backup and Coleman, I believe was injured and was probably a back up also.

It is better value to not get a big name and they turn out to be very productive. Comeon dude you cant be serious with that last statement. YOu mean to tell me that you wouldnt want the same production for less money, you must not understand how to run a business.

It is better value to not get a big name and they turn out to be very productive. Comeon dude you cant be serious with that last statement. YOu mean to tell me that you wouldnt want the same production for less money, you must not understand how to run a business.

Never said they were bad signings. My point is, if someone else has heard of the player, we won't sign him. That really limits our options. It's like saying, we will only buy penny stocks be cause they are cheap and we can get a good value from them. What if a company like Goldman Sachs is trading at ~$80-90 is a good value. Dimitroff is saying we won't buy that stock NO MATTER WHAT because it's too expensive, even though there's great value that can be obtained by investing in GS.

Never said they were bad signings. My point is, if someone else has heard of the player, we won't sign him. That really limits our options. It's like saying, we will only buy penny stocks be cause they are cheap and we can get a good value from them. What if a company like Goldman Sachs is trading at ~$80-90 is a good value. Dimitroff is saying we won't buy that stock NO MATTER WHAT because it's too expensive, even though there's great value that can be obtained by investing in GS.

Man you dont know what you are talking about, you are just ranting, not basing what you are saying off of any facutal information whatsoever. I cant believe you just said that^^. Comeone dude please dont lead me to believe that you really believe that.