Dawgs eager to T off

tikibar

No Richt isn't writing books or making tool-like statements like Oscar, but it made you look at least. Here's a good article that was in our local paper.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/oct/28/dogs-eager-to-t-off/

Dogs eager to 'T' off

By: David Paschall

(Contact) ARTICLE TOOLS

E-mail story

Comments

Printer friendly version

iPod friendly version

Text Size: A A A A

UGA Photo: Georgia lineman Clint Boling and the rest of the Georgia offense will be tested against Flordia.

ATHENS, Ga. -- Whether Georgia football players are donning shoulder pads, pumping iron or rewinding footage this week, Urban Meyer is watching.

And he's forming a "T."

Florida's coach called two timeouts in the final 45 seconds of last season's 49-10 massacre of Georgia in Jacksonville, and pictures of him signaling for a stoppage are abundant in Georgia's locker room, weight room and film room.

"Every time we see his hands in the timeout position, it kind of reminds us of what happened last year," Bulldogs safety Bryan Evans said Tuesday. "It's something that motivates us as a team -- to never forget that image. It's something we don't want to experience again."

The 39-point defeat was the worst in Mark Richt's nine seasons as Bulldogs coach and was harsh payback for Georgia's 42-30 upset the year before. Georgia caused a stir in the first quarter of the 2007 encounter when most of its team ran to the end zone to celebrate a 1-yard touchdown run by Knowshon Moreno.

So what's in store Saturday as the top-ranked Gators (7-0, 5-0 SEC) face the Bulldogs (4-3, 3-2)? Isn't it Georgia's turn to do something?

"I think every season has its own issues," Richt said. "We certainly have ours. They don't have many, and any issues they have they've been able to solve with victories. I think what we're most concerned about is what it's going to take to win the ballgame.

"I don't think this game needs anything extra from the past to get everybody excited to play."

Georgia players are forced to view pictures of Gators quarterback Tim Tebow and of last year's scoreboard in addition to those of Meyer. Florida players talked last year of having to watch Georgia's celebration dance on the video board while running stadium steps and having to do 188 sit-ups and push-ups in workouts.

Moreno rushed for 188 yards in the '07 game.

"We danced on the field and won, and they probably felt pretty bad about that," quarterback Joe Cox said. "Then they won and called timeouts, and we felt pretty bad about that. I don't know who felt worse. Nobody likes to be embarrassed like that, but it's not like we've been planning an elaborate scheme to get them back and do something better.

"We know they had the right to do that after what we did the year before, and now it's just another football game."

Linebacker Rennie Curran agreed with Cox that the Gators had good reason to retaliate. Tight end Aron White thought the media and Georgia fans made too much of the timeouts.

Receiver A.J. Green remains bothered more by the outcome.

"The way they physically beat us, I feel like we have a statement to make," Green said.

Defensive end Justin Houston made a statement Tuesday when asked about Tebow: "He's like every other quarterback. I don't see anything special about him. He's a quarterback and he's a good quarterback, but nothing special."

Florida has won 16 of the last 19 meetings in the series and is a 16-point favorite to make it 17 of 20. A Georgia win would allow the Bulldogs to split the past six, which would show substantial improvement from when Steve Spurrier had his robust run.

"I know we could give a No. 1 team their first loss in 18 games, and I'm comfortable with that," Evans said. "Hopefully, we'll ruin their national championship run."

Said Curran: "There is no way you can't get pumped for the Florida game. If you're not pumped for this one, then you don't have a heart."

Some other comments not in the article:

A.J. Green wasn't around for the 2007 game, but the even-keeled wide receiver seethes about the 2008 timeouts.

"That's motivation for me," he said. "That's a sign of disrespect. So I'm going to go out there and play my heart out."

Another article on it:

ATHENS -- The picture hangs all over Georgia's training facility. The Bulldogs get to see it when they're changing into their uniforms, when they're lifting weights, when they're heading off to meetings.

Urban Meyer, his hands raised in a T.

Timeout, Florida.

"It definitely motivates you," said Georgia quarterback Joe Cox, looking ahead to Saturday's game against the top-ranked Gators. "No one likes to be embarrassed like that."

The Bulldogs are still a bit miffed at the Florida coach for calling two timeouts in the final minute of last year's 49-10 blowout, a ploy that Meyer described - apparently with his tongue firmly planted in his cheek - as merely a way to get a few extra carries for a little-used running back.

Yeah, right.

"When I heard about it, I thought it was funny," Florida defensive tackle Terron Sanders said. "At the same time, I don't know if he did it to get more reps in or what. We're going to go ahead and continue to say that. We did it to get some more game time for the younger players."

You really believe that?

"No," Sanders replied.

Of course, the Gators were merely getting back at the Bulldogs for their raucous end-zone celebration in 2007. Urged on by coach Mark Richt, the entire team stormed the field to celebrate its opening touchdown, which drew yellow flags all over the place and left Florida seething - especially when Georgia romped to one of its rare wins in this bitter rivalry.

At the time, Richt said he was merely looking for a way to fire up a lethargic team. He readily admitted threatening his players with extra running if they didn't draw an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty after their first score, but said he never expected everyone to run on the field.

Still, the incident prompted Richt to issue a public apology to Florida and the Southeastern Conference.

Meyer brushed off the whole brouhaha in public, but he was clearly waiting for a chance to get back at the Bulldogs. With Georgia just itching to get off the field in its second-worst loss ever to the Gators, the Florida coach called one timeout, then another, doing his best to prolong the misery.

"Of course, that's going to be a very big motivating factor for us," Georgia safety Bryan Evans said Tuesday. "Every time we see his hands in the timeout position, it reminds us of what happened last year."

The Bulldogs can't get away from that image, either. Since reporting for offseason workouts, they've been bombarded with that picture of Meyer calling timeout.

"They're everywhere," Georgia linebacker Rennie Curran said. "It was a frustrating feeling as a competitor. You go in there, work hard and don't get the results you want, then to top it off you have that happen to you. It's kind of a slap in the face."

At his weekly news conference, Richt declined to talk about what happened a year ago.

"I don't know if guys individually are more worried about that," Richt said. "I'm more concerned with this game, this plan, this team. I'm focusing on our preparation for this game. As far as motivation, I don't think this game needs anything extra from the past to get people excited to play. I just don't think it needs that."

He didn't sound very convincing.

Then again, maybe things are even now.

Georgia shouldn't have celebrated so much in 2007. Florida shouldn't have called those timeouts last year.

"It's not like we've been planning some elaborate scheme to get back at them or do something better," Cox said. "They had a right to do what they did after what we did the year before. Now, it's just another football game."

Well, let's not go that far. Even with Florida (7-0, 5-0 SEC) still on track to play for a second straight national championship and Georgia (4-3, 3-2) struggling through a disappointing season, this is never just another game.

"The hatred is already there with the fans, the coaches, everyone," Curran said. "There's no other way to put it: We just don't like each other."

You can have all the motivation in the world but you need to talent to do something with it. I just hope the bye week helped patch some things up for us. Bryan Evans even being able to have a quote in the article is laughable. Im sorry but im sure a high school QB could burn him.

Not trying to bash but i really hope Rambo is in 3/4 of the game. I do like the AJ quotes

Edited by Ronaldo77

Something "classless" always comes out of this game. Should be interesting to see what the word gets thrown around for this year... I'm sure it will be ridiculous.

I am gonna drink beer until I fall asleep on Saturday. I'll probably be pretty ticked off too... hopefully the Dawgs have some fight in them.

Can I just say...

the timeout thing was just kind of whatever to me. I didn't think it was all that bold b/c it came once the game was decided. It's not like they came out after the 1st TD and did something...that takes b*lls! :P

Agreed.. frankly the timeout thing wasn't bad at all. I just laughed because we all know CMR one uped meyer bigtime and surprised him completely.. the stunned look on meyer's face when it was happening was hilarious.. CMR did it on our 1st touchdown when the game was in doubt.

Don't talk about it be about it. They were all "jacked up" for Ok. State...had stuff with the date on it in the weight room, etc.

We all saw how that worked out.

Exactly!! Talk is cheap and this team hasnt shown a thing. They cant cash checks they write. You would think that after dominating us the past 20 years, that would be all the motivation they would need. This team has no leadership and focus. They need to go into every game with the attitude that the opponet slapped their momma.

Can I just say...

the timeout thing was just kind of whatever to me. I didn't think it was all that bold b/c it came once the game was decided. It's not like they came out after the 1st TD and did something...that takes b*lls! :P

Agreed.. frankly the timeout thing wasn't bad at all. I just laughed because we all know CMR one uped meyer bigtime and surprised him completely.. the stunned look on meyer's face when it was happening was hilarious.. CMR did it on our 1st touchdown when the game was in doubt.

Well it surely had an effect on the UGA coaching staff. Else all those posters wouldn't be posted around the UGA locker room.

Before the UGA/UF game two years ago I wrote in a thread on here that Richt needed to do something to rile his team up and break the mold of "calm, and cool". I loved what he did because I thought he needed to do it.

That being said, Urban calling the timeouts was an apt response and I actually thought that was kind of cool as well.

I'll bet that both coaches understand fully why the other coach did what he did and I think that they both laugh to themselves a little bit whenever they think about it. One day when they are both old and gray they will likely share a laugh about it.

Well it surely had an effect on the UGA coaching staff. Else all those posters wouldn't be posted around the UGA locker room.

Before the UGA/UF game two years ago I wrote in a thread on here that Richt needed to do something to rile his team up and break the mold of "calm, and cool". I loved what he did because I thought he needed to do it.

That being said, Urban calling the timeouts was an apt response and I actually thought that was kind of cool as well.

I'll bet that both coaches understand fully why the other coach did what he did and I think that they both laugh to themselves a little bit whenever they think about it. One day when they are both old and gray they will likely share a laugh about it.

Ehhh, I'm still not convinced it had such a profound effect. They remember it I'm sure but what they remember more than anything is getting trounced that game. I don't think the TO's just sent them over the edge and have them frothing at the mouth.

As a fan, I honestly had to read about it before I realized to be honest.

Ehhh, I'm still not convinced it had such a profound effect. They remember it I'm sure but what they remember more than anything is getting trounced that game. I don't think the TO's just sent them over the edge and have them frothing at the mouth.

As a fan, I honestly had to read about it before I realized to be honest.

I agree with you to a degree. I don't imagine the UGA players and coaches having those times out burned into their memory. I just think it was a case of oneupsmanship on Urban's part. I do think that the Gators had the image of the impromptu free for all burned into their minds and I think it did provide some serious motivation. I don't think either move had a "profound" effect on the games, but I think both of them just added to the legend of that rivalry.

Defensive end Justin Houston made a statement Tuesday when asked about Tebow: "He's like every other quarterback. I don't see anything special about him. He's a quarterback and he's a good quarterback, but nothing special."

Okay, this dude is officially an idiot. First, it's high rate bulletin board material. Second, I think it's pretty obvious to anyone who has ever watched college football that Tebow is beyond being just a "good quarterback" and that he's obviously special, which is why he's considered of the best college players of all-time if not the best.

I bet this quote is blown up and pasted on walls and Tebow has his own personal version to hang on to as a little extra motivation for Saturday...