Matt Ryan - Better or Worse after 6 games this year?

Tandy

I did this after week 3 - so I thought I would also do this at the game 6 mark. This is comparing Matt Ryan's production last year through 6 games to this year through 6 games. I will do this again through 9 games.

Let me show you what it is:

2008 - stats after 6 games completed:

93 of 161 for 57.8% completion rate, 1164 yards, 5 TD, 3 INT and a QB rating of 82.9

2009 - stats after 6 games completed:

120 of 191 for 62.8% completion rate, 1360 yards, 11 TD, 6 INT and a QB rating of 90.2

Improvement?

27 more completions for 30 more attempts giving him a better completion rate by 5.0%

He's thrown for 196 more yards, 6 more touchdowns and 3 more interceptions

Quarterback rating - improved by 7.3

He ended the regular season last year with

265 of 434 for a completion rate of 61.1%, 3440 yards, 16 TD's, 11 INT'S and a QB rating of 87.7

If he continues to play at the same differential the rest of the year: his projected numbers at the end of the year:

337 of 514 for a completion rate of 65.6%, 3963 yards, 32 TD's, 19 INT'S and a QB rating of 94.2

Forgetting the differential and last year altogether, based on Ryan's current numbers he is on track to end the year at:

320 of 509 for 62.9% completion rate, 3626 yards, 29 TD, 16 INT and a QB rating of 90.0

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan has clearly looked better this year. Last year he had the benefit of a running game. Early on he also had the benefit of suprise- new team, new offense, no tape for defenses to look at in the early going.

Last season Ryan clearly fell off in the second half. I don't know why and haven't seen any remarks by him explaining why his efficiency and production decreased. This year I hope he can establish better consistency throughout the second half. The alternative would mean there is a real issue that must be identified and addressed, one that was there last year and was not identified and addressed over the offseason. It also won't be easy because we have some tough defenses on the schedule.

There's no doubt he's significantly improved. And our offense as a whole is significantly improved. Even with the mediocre running game and the fact that we're not living up to our potential offensively, there's no doubt we're majorly improved on offense.

If we had won at Dallas, no one would even question it. But people get irrational after a loss.

There's no doubt he's significantly improved. And our offense as a whole is significantly improved. Even with the mediocre running game and the fact that we're not living up to our potential offensively, there's no doubt we're majorly improved on offense.

If we had won at Dallas, no one would even question it. But people get irrational after a loss.

Our passing game has improved, but overall our offense has taken a step back because of the major decrease in production from our running game. There's still time for that to change, but at this point that is where we stand.

What's up with the running game? Last year Turner was 2nd in the league with 1699yds...106.2 per game....17tds....and 3 fumbles.

To date he is 16th in the league with 403yds....67.2 per game...7tds....and 4 fumbles..

Is he playing hurt or just pizzed that he didn't get a new contract?

I did this after week 3 - so I thought I would also do this at the game 6 mark. This is comparing Matt Ryan's production last year through 6 games to this year through 6 games. I will do this again through 9 games.

93 of 161 for 57.8% completion rate, 1164 yards, 5 TD, 3 INT and a QB rating of 82.9

120 of 191 for 62.8% completion rate, 1360 yards, 11 TD, 6 INT and a QB rating of 90.2

Improvement?

27 more completions for 30 more attempts giving him a better completion rate by 5.0%

265 of 434 for a completion rate of 61.1%, 3440 yards, 16 TD's, 11 INT'S and a QB rating of 87.7

If he continues to play at the same differential the rest of the year: his projected numbers at the end of the year:

337 of 514 for a completion rate of 65.6%, 3963 yards, 32 TD's, 19 INT'S and a QB rating of 94.2

Forgetting the differential and last year altogether, based on Ryan's current numbers he is on track to end the year at:

320 of 509 for 62.9% completion rate, 3626 yards, 29 TD, 16 INT and a QB rating of 90.0

Great info Tandy. Numbers don't lie.

gotta get the INTs down, although the one against san fran wasn't really his fault and the second one against dallas was just trying to make a play, but still, gotta get those down.

How about the one in Dallas where Mike Jenkins #21 pushed Michael Jenkins #12 down to the ground about 8 yards out - then turned and made the interception.

Instead of a pass interference and first down - we ended up with an interception. That one bothers me more than any of them.

How about the one in Dallas where Mike Jenkins #21 pushed Michael Jenkins #12 down to the ground about 8 yards out - then turned and made the interception.

Instead of a pass interference and first down - we ended up with an interception. That one bothers me more than any of them.

I'm still fired up about that. That was one of the worst 'non' calls I have seen this year. It was so obvious she was shoved. And the one with the dirty hit on Booker, of course, no call on that either.

Edited by ConnFalcon

good point

Improvement?

I see improvement in most stats. I see his decision making as a decline though. He has twice the interceptions. That stood out to me. I noticed that the teams who pressured him (Arizona, New England, Dallas) made him look very average or below. I realize much of that is the o-line getting manhandled in those games. However, it is disturbing to watch him fold under those conditions. It looks like he tries to force things too much in games like that. We must address the protection and blocking issues to get the running game on track. When Matt is protected he is great. I think in those games, we were out manned (talent wise). I also think in those games we were out coached and didn't make the necessary adjustments quickly enough, if at all.

Edited by nosweatboyz

gotta get the INTs down, although the one against san fran wasn't really his fault and the second one against dallas was just trying to make a play, but still, gotta get those down.

I'm putting the 2nd one against Chicago on Jenkins too. Not a perfectly thrown ball, but still should have been caught to me. What's the point of being 6'4 and having those long arms if you can't use them at times?

In the Dallas game, I noticed on several occasions when the pocket collapsed Matt stepped up and started to run (and there were yards to be picked up) he stopped and tried to force the ball to a well covered receiver. I thought RUN MATT ! but he would stop and try to throw. When he did run a couple times, he picked up the yards. I am not saying I want him to be a running quarterback, just if no one's open and there are yards to pick up with the feet ,take them.

I see improvement in most stats. I see his decision making as a decline though. He has twice the interceptions. That stood out to me. I noticed that the teams who pressured him (Arizona, New England, Dallas) made him look very average or below. I realize much of that is the o-line getting manhandled in those games. However, it is disturbing to watch him fold under those conditions. It looks like he tries to force things too much in games like that. We must address the protection and blocking issues to get the running game on track. When Matt is protected he is great. I think in those games, we were out manned (talent wise). I also think in those games we were out coached and didn't make the necessary adjustments quickly enough, if at all.

While I don't think that MR is now or will suffer a Sophomore Slump this season, it is obvious to me that teams are better prepared for him. As they take away his go to's, he still has the smarts to throw the ball away rather than lose yards, but he has had more of a skittish look sometimes. His rap from BC was that he threw too many INT's while trying to make something out of nothing. IMO, he needs to again find his relaxed, comfortable tempo and not try to force anything. He is still learning, still maturing and he'll be fine.

Thanks for the breakdown. The boards as usual go off the deep end after a loss. I see Ryan and the Oline coming out playing like they are in the post season for all the marbles especially such a set back. I also believe Turner after hitting a wall too often figuratively and literally will be running mad.

I don't think it is so much the loss as the way we lost. To look so good in the SF game the week before...then to lay an egg in Dallas :wacko:

I can only blame Ryan for two picks this season... The one against Carolina where he forced the ball into double coverage and the first against the Bears were it was just an errant throw and maybe a bad read because Roddy was open on an 'out route' underneath. The rest read like this: 49ers; PI from the referee on Roddy. Bears 2nd; Tip drill on a good ball to Jenkins who seems to be in a bit of a funk the last few games I might add. Cowboys 1st; good anticipation and read by Ryan under pressure and delivered the ball to where Jenkins would have been if not for him 'falling over' and lastly the Cowboys 2nd; was trying to make a play with the game out of reach. Feel better now that's off my chest! lol