Perrish Cox

hawkeye

I'm coming around to Cox. I got off the Verner and Murphy train. Now I'm on Butler and Cox. Good article on Cox.

http://www.newsok.com/article/3411692

STILLWATER — Introducing the new Perrish Cox.

Waco, Texas, will get a glimpse of a different Perrish Cox when the central-Texas native returns to Waco as Oklahoma State faces Baylor today at 11:30 a.m.

"That's my homecoming," Cox said. "We just played our homecoming, that's my homecoming. I look forward to this game."

Cox has admittedly changed for the better during his final year at OSU. The former University High standout was born and raised in Waco but he's grown up in Stillwater.

Cox went through ups and downs early in his career: Extra running for disciplinary reasons, fighting to keep his grades up and, frankly, too much time wasted on the wrong things.

This season, the senior has gone from doing his own thing to setting an example for others to follow. Cox has grown from an immature young, underclassman to a stellar, savvy senior.

"Freshman year things were crazy," said Terrance Anderson, Cox's roommate. "Now it's about business. He's listening more, he's watching film more."

Before the season, cornerbacks coach Jason Jones sat down with Cox and asked him to be a leader. As the lone returning starter, Jones needed Cox to set an example in everything he does.

"Everybody is different," Jones said. "(People) mature at different times and he's maturing all the way around."

This year it has been Cox's focus on the little things which has made a big difference.

"(I'm) doing more than what I'd normally do," Cox said. "It's a lot of small stuff, things that I needed to do. Those are things I never thought I could do. But I'm doing it. And it feels good."

His progression was never more apparent than when he asked to return kicks against Texas A&M, risking further injury to a shoulder which had kept him of the Grambling State game.

"I felt the team needed me to do that in order to step up the offense," Cox said. "I felt good and I thought I was healthy enough to do it."

The All-American kick returner sparked the Cowboys' 36-31 victory with 45- and 35-yard kick returns and finished with 125 all-purpose yards.

"That's the transfer of attitude I have from last year to this year," Cox said. "This time last year, I wouldn't do half the things I do now.

"I've grown up a lot. People tell me that, too. It's a different feeling for me. I feel like I have grown up."

And that growth has been noticed not only in Stillwater but by NFL Draft experts. Cox is projected to be a second round pick in the NFL Draft.

"I think he's as good as any cornerback in the country," defensive coordinator Bill Young said. "He has great size, speed, instincts and he brings so much to the table."

Said Cox: "In order to step up my game personally, I had to go above and beyond and it's worked out perfectly."

He seems like a pretty solid talent at CB. I watched the OK state game against Missouri and Cox struggled a bit that game. He wasnt getting a good jam off the line and WR were able to get pretty decent seperation on him, he was never burned but did give up a few catches that game. He did come back and get an INT on a deep pass, but overall he was only solid that game and didnt stand out like he did in the UGA game.

I dont know if you guys havent seen this....

Written by: Eric Galko If you haven’t heard of him yet, Perrish Cox will soon become a household name in draft circles. At 6-0, 198, he’s unlike many corners that have come out in recent years. His athletic ability and lockdown ability really make him a legit 1st round possible cornerback.

The main match-up I followed closely for Cox is when the Cowboys matched up against Georgia. Cox was opposite SEC 1st teamer AJ Green, and really managed to shut him down when Cox was in the game. He has long arms and outstanding ball skills to knock the ball away on red-zone fades and deep balls. A really under rated skills for a cornerback that Cox possesses is that he can not only read the quarterback for play indicators, but can use the receivers to tell exactly when the ball will arrive or where the route is going. He can really match-up man to man with bigger receivers because of his size, and rarely needs to be taken out of the game, outside of injury.

Cox also is a great tackler. He is great in open field and an either lay a big hit to a receiver, or trip up a running back with great consistency. Because of that skill and his great play in zone, a Cover 2 scheme could be an option at the NFL level. He has had a few off-the field issues in the past and doesn’t have great recovery speed, so those two things may result in him fading on draft boards.

Cox, who is as close as you’ll find in college football to a lockdown cornerback, also is one of the best return men in the country. A versatile athlete, Cox will definitely begin his assault draft boards very soon, and if you haven’t watched the Antonio Cromartie clone in Cox, I advise that you watch Cox work against some of the top receivers in the country.

I don't think he lasts past the 2nd rd. If we don't get back in the 2nd I don't think we have a shot at him. With

that said I will gladly take C. Butler or D. Franks in the 3rd rd.

Let me tell you how crazy this is... not only will Perrish Cox be there in the 2nd round but i also think he will be there in the 3rd round...

Perrish Cox is labeled as a cover 2 (zone) guy because that's what OK State plays.... A cover 2 CB is not going in the 1st round.... With so many other CB's entering the draft early..... Its a good chance that Perrish Cox will be a 3rd round pick.

He seems like a pretty solid talent at CB. I watched the OK state game against Missouri and Cox struggled a bit that game. He wasnt getting a good jam off the line and WR were able to get pretty decent separation on him, he was never burned but did give up a few catches that game. He did come back and get an INT on a deep pass, but overall he was only solid that game and didnt stand out like he did in the UGA game.

yea his jam is not on point right now because he is playing with a banged up shoulder... He suffered that injury when they played rice.... That was the game after he shut down James Cleveland and A.J. Green ..

The only knock on him that I have is that he doesn't create enough turnovers. He definitely gets his hands on a lot of balls, but I want him to bring more of those in.

I didn't know that Oklahoma State played Cover 2 and that concerns me a little. It seems that we have went away from Cover 2 and now a Man Coverage/attacking type defense.

If he struggles in Man coverage then I don't want him. That is what we lack right now. It seems as though he was in Man against A.J. Green, but I don't really know.

He definitely has all the tools of a good CB and he is at the top of my list of CBs right now. I got to look at him some more though.

Right now, Lindley or Cox is good with me.

He does not struggle in man...... They play some man coverage cover 2.... its just normally Safties are at the top.... The guy definitely get his hands on the ball tho (32 career pass deflections) ...

Thomas Decoud was the same way in college.....Decoud had allot of pass deflections but only 1 int.... Atleast Perrich Cox has 7 int...lol