Comments on Dallas Game

whitekb011

Well folks, Little different format this week. I'm going to start off with a summary of play, then go through each area, IE Passing Offense, Running Offense...

Summary of Play: I will say, even with the score the way it was, we played very physical. We also faced a Dallas team coming off the bye who were relatively healthy, had two weeks to prepare, and played with a lot of emotion. After watching the tape, 4 Plays really separated us from being in contention. Here they are in order of importance.

1. Missing the sack on Romo before the half.

2. Matt Ryan fumble as we were driving down the field.

3. First Touchdown to Miles Austin

4. Punt Return for a touchdown

I believe these plays, more than any other, really made a difference in the ball game.

Passing Offense: Offensive line did an extremely poor job of blocking. I knew Ratliff would eat McClure up, but I was surprised to see all of our OLine get beat very badly on a consistent basis. The reason we could not run more 3-4 receiver sets, is because of the pressure packages Dallas was throwing at us, I counted 8 man pressures on about 5-6 plays. It's kind of hard to spread the field when they are doing that. Now, I will say, Ryan made some very poor decisions and for two games in a row, he is trying to force the ball to Gonzalez. The throws he made were consistently high, just like in the Bears game. Also, Jenkins for the second week in a row, had several drops and did not get good separation on that comeback route. I will also note that, Jenkins (Dallas CB) was clearly holding the receivers and on two occasions one to Roddy and one to Jenkins, that the ball was in the air, and he was grabbing Roddy and threw Jenkins down on the interception play. On the first Ryan interception, I believe it was Jenkins running a 9 route down the left sideline and had his man beat by 3-4 steps. Ryan missed that and he had time to throw. What happens is, when Ryan is getting that much pressure, he doesn't look down field and when he has time, he still looks for short to intermediate routes. All in all, I believe they will all learn from this and move forward and I believe we will see a much improved passing offense against the Saints.

Running Offense: I have been very critical of Michael Turner. Some of that is still true; however, Turner was consistently dodging defenders behind the line of scrimmage, because the DL consistently man-handled our boys up front. Dahl and Clabo got abused. The main difference with Snelling and Turner, is Snelling runs with a purpose, the only time I saw Turner do this was on his touchdown run. My question to him, why can't he do that more often. I believe we correct the problems with the OLine and have Coach Smith light a fire under Turner and we could potentially have a monster game against the Saints. Their defense got abused by Miami and they are strictly only can run the ball.

Run Defense: Say way you want about our Defense, but our boys up front for a better part of the game, really put it to them on the defensive side of the ball. Jamal Anderson is playing with much more energy, purpose, and conviction that I believe has really helped our run game. He has played the Run better than any Defense Lineman on the Team. Our Linebackers (Lofton - he is the only linebacker worthy of wearing Mike Singletary's Number) maintained their gaps, and hit those guys behind or at the line of scrimage with force. I saw Barber go backwards and down, several times. One of my coworkers even commented about how physical we were in the run game. Take away Romo's scrambles of 30-40 yards and we held a team averaging 160 yards a game to roughly 70. Good run D.

Pass Defense: Our main problem was our pass Rush. You have to some credit to the Dallas RB's, they did a very nice job of picking up the blitz. Dallas, up until that game, had done a very poor job of pass protection. They obviously worked on that during the bye week. The biggest thing I noticed, for two weeks in a row, John Abraham was a non-factor. Only in the Miami game did he show up. He asked the DLine to "Man-Up"... Well, someone needs to tell him to Man-up. Our secondary, DeCoud is doing a really good job, and as one of the other posters stated, the Light came on during Game 5. The main problem was, when we blitz, we did not get pressure on the QB, and when that Happens, Romo can let the play develop and it's almost impossible for an DB to stick with their receiver for 5-7 seconds. After watching the Saints Game last night, I believe we can get some pressure on Brees because I don't believe their OL is as good as advertised. Brees, his receivers, and TE's are good, but if the OL can't hold our down four, then we will have a shot.

Special Teams: How and the heck can Crayton have a lane 71 yards long, and 30 feet wide in the middle of the field. Outside of that, they did good. That hit Wire put on Rossom was great.

All-in-all, it really hurt to lose that game and we got our butt's handed to us. I believe we have a shot to beat NO, I believe we are a more physical team. We need Ryan to make better decisions with the football, we need our OL to block, and we need our pass rush to make him move in the pocket and we need to hit him hard.

I've tried to keep this mostly positive, because I believe our boys will come out of this week, just like NE, and go on the road and beat a team were the media expects us to lose. Forget respect in the "Power Rankins" and National exposure, we don't need that, we need to be under the radar this week, placed as an under dog, and when we get to NO, open up a can of Flacon's Whoop azz on the saints.

I believe in this team, they have heart, they have leadership, and they can overcome adversity. This week is time to show to themselves that they are a contender, not a pretender.

This is my viewpoint.

Before the season starts, there are games I tag as wins and others I tag as losses. Then, there are some that can go either way. For instance, I felt at the beginning of the year that the NE game would be a loss. It was. I felt the SF game was a win, and it was.

Based on this reasoning, I have us going 10-6 to 11-5, depending on those tweener games. If we happen to pick up a game I figured we lose, then it makes for all the better record.

Which leads me to this past game. While I thought we should win it, it was iffy in my book. And then we lost. Not a great big deal in my book because we won the Chicago game (a game I had us losing).

So, I take a look at our record. We're 4-2 and going into a game I figured we'd lose at the beginning of the year (NO on the road).

But look at the rest of our schedule. We currently have 4 wins. By my figuring, we should still beat Tampa twice, Washington, Buffalo, and Carolina (though it's away and they always get up to play us). That's 5 more wins right there, leaving us with 9 wins on the season.

Now, if we get one of two from NO and/or pick up a win with at least one of those NY teams, that's 10 or 11 wins total.

Don't get me wrong, I never like to lose. But let's keep things in perspective, shall we. We're still on pace for a very good season. We just need to win the "easy" games on our schedule, and pick up another win or two here or there.

To me, the success of this season hinges on the outcomes of those 4 fore-mentioned games (NO and the NYs). We take just a couple of those, and our season will be a great one.

Well folks, Little different format this week. I'm going to start off with a summary of play, then go through each area, IE Passing Offense, Running Offense...

Summary of Play: I will say, even with the score the way it was, we played very physical. We also faced a Dallas team coming off the bye who were relatively healthy, had two weeks to prepare, and played with a lot of emotion. After watching the tape, 4 Plays really separated us from being in contention. Here they are in order of importance.

1. Missing the sack on Romo before the half.

2. Matt Ryan fumble as we were driving down the field.

3. First Touchdown to Miles Austin

4. Punt Return for a touchdown

I believe these plays, more than any other, really made a difference in the ball game.

Passing Offense: Offensive line did an extremely poor job of blocking. I knew Ratliff would eat McClure up, but I was surprised to see all of our OLine get beat very badly on a consistent basis. The reason we could not run more 3-4 receiver sets, is because of the pressure packages Dallas was throwing at us, I counted 8 man pressures on about 5-6 plays. It's kind of hard to spread the field when they are doing that. Now, I will say, Ryan made some very poor decisions and for two games in a row, he is trying to force the ball to Gonzalez. The throws he made were consistently high, just like in the Bears game. Also, Jenkins for the second week in a row, had several drops and did not get good separation on that comeback route. I will also note that, Jenkins (Dallas CB) was clearly holding the receivers and on two occasions one to Roddy and one to Jenkins, that the ball was in the air, and he was grabbing Roddy and threw Jenkins down on the interception play. On the first Ryan interception, I believe it was Jenkins running a 9 route down the left sideline and had his man beat by 3-4 steps. Ryan missed that and he had time to throw. What happens is, when Ryan is getting that much pressure, he doesn't look down field and when he has time, he still looks for short to intermediate routes. All in all, I believe they will all learn from this and move forward and I believe we will see a much improved passing offense against the Saints.

Running Offense: I have been very critical of Michael Turner. Some of that is still true; however, Turner was consistently dodging defenders behind the line of scrimmage, because the DL consistently man-handled our boys up front. Dahl and Clabo got abused. The main difference with Snelling and Turner, is Snelling runs with a purpose, the only time I saw Turner do this was on his touchdown run. My question to him, why can't he do that more often. I believe we correct the problems with the OLine and have Coach Smith light a fire under Turner and we could potentially have a monster game against the Saints. Their defense got abused by Miami and they are strictly only can run the ball.

Run Defense: Say way you want about our Defense, but our boys up front for a better part of the game, really put it to them on the defensive side of the ball. Jamal Anderson is playing with much more energy, purpose, and conviction that I believe has really helped our run game. He has played the Run better than any Defense Lineman on the Team. Our Linebackers (Lofton - he is the only linebacker worthy of wearing Mike Singletary's Number) maintained their gaps, and hit those guys behind or at the line of scrimage with force. I saw Barber go backwards and down, several times. One of my coworkers even commented about how physical we were in the run game. Take away Romo's scrambles of 30-40 yards and we held a team averaging 160 yards a game to roughly 70. Good run D.

Pass Defense: Our main problem was our pass Rush. You have to some credit to the Dallas RB's, they did a very nice job of picking up the blitz. Dallas, up until that game, had done a very poor job of pass protection. They obviously worked on that during the bye week. The biggest thing I noticed, for two weeks in a row, John Abraham was a non-factor. Only in the Miami game did he show up. He asked the DLine to "Man-Up"... Well, someone needs to tell him to Man-up. Our secondary, DeCoud is doing a really good job, and as one of the other posters stated, the Light came on during Game 5. The main problem was, when we blitz, we did not get pressure on the QB, and when that Happens, Romo can let the play develop and it's almost impossible for an DB to stick with their receiver for 5-7 seconds. After watching the Saints Game last night, I believe we can get some pressure on Brees because I don't believe their OL is as good as advertised. Brees, his receivers, and TE's are good, but if the OL can't hold our down four, then we will have a shot.

Special Teams: How and the heck can Crayton have a lane 71 yards long, and 30 feet wide in the middle of the field. Outside of that, they did good. That hit Wire put on Rossom was great.

All-in-all, it really hurt to lose that game and we got our butt's handed to us. I believe we have a shot to beat NO, I believe we are a more physical team. We need Ryan to make better decisions with the football, we need our OL to block, and we need our pass rush to make him move in the pocket and we need to hit him hard.

I've tried to keep this mostly positive, because I believe our boys will come out of this week, just like NE, and go on the road and beat a team were the media expects us to lose. Forget respect in the "Power Rankins" and National exposure, we don't need that, we need to be under the radar this week, placed as an under dog, and when we get to NO, open up a can of Flacon's Whoop azz on the saints.

I believe in this team, they have heart, they have leadership, and they can overcome adversity. This week is time to show to themselves that they are a contender, not a pretender.

Key to the game.

I too believe we will get more pressure then on sunday. Dallas' oline while not the greatest is huge, and our dline while not the worst, is undersized. Simply i bad matchup there

i expect to see more pressure in saints game and if we get enough we have a legitimate shot

This is my viewpoint.

Before the season starts, there are games I tag as wins and others I tag as losses. Then, there are some that can go either way. For instance, I felt at the beginning of the year that the NE game would be a loss. It was. I felt the SF game was a win, and it was.

Based on this reasoning, I have us going 10-6 to 11-5, depending on those tweener games. If we happen to pick up a game I figured we lose, then it makes for all the better record.

Which leads me to this past game. While I thought we should win it, it was iffy in my book. And then we lost. Not a great big deal in my book because we won the Chicago game (a game I had us losing).

So, I take a look at our record. We're 4-2 and going into a game I figured we'd lose at the beginning of the year (NO on the road).

But look at the rest of our schedule. We currently have 4 wins. By my figuring, we should still beat Tampa twice, Washington, Buffalo, and Carolina (though it's away and they always get up to play us). That's 5 more wins right there, leaving us with 9 wins on the season.

Now, if we get one of two from NO and/or pick up a win with at least one of those NY teams, that's 10 or 11 wins total.

Don't get me wrong, I never like to lose. But let's keep things in perspective, shall we. We're still on pace for a very good season. We just need to win the "easy" games on our schedule, and pick up another win or two here or there.

To me, the success of this season hinges on the outcomes of those 4 fore-mentioned games (NO and the NYs). We take just a couple of those, and our season will be a great one.

Agree, but we need to take both NO games.

Key to the game.

I too believe we will get more pressure then on sunday. Dallas' oline while not the greatest is huge, and our dline while not the worst, is undersized. Simply i bad matchup there

i expect to see more pressure in saints game and if we get enough we have a legitimate shot

Agree pressure is key.

This is my viewpoint.

I mostly agree with your reasoning here, except one thing... Losing that game to Dallas could potentially be a dagger, here's why...

Dallas also has some scrub teams left on their schedule, Seattle, Oakland, Washington x2... That should get them to 8 wins right there.. If so, then they'll only have to go 2-4 in their tougher games to reach 10 wins, and they'll have Philly and San Diego at home.. Win those home games and find a way to win just 1 of 4 tough road games and that's 11 wins...

You see, Dallas is looking at the exact same scenario as the Falcons, but the Cowboys now have the ace in the hole, Sundays win gave them a tie-breaker on the Falcons... You guys better beat Philly and/or New York, otherwise you could be a 10-11 win team, and still not make the playoffs (see the 08 Patriots)...

Edited by the_turtle

This is my viewpoint.

Best post I have read all day. You make a great point. It all goes back to execution in the tough games. Sometimes we are great but like everyone that is human we have our off games. Great post. Really changed my perspective.

Our LB corps had seven tackles....our safeties had seventeen...not a recipe for winning ballgames.

Do not disagree, but they also couldn't run the ball and where throwing it a lot. So that's a reason for the Safeties to have the tackles. The Falcons pretty much stopped the short passing game.

I always enjoy reading your posts as you leave as much emotion out of it as possible. I agree that there are several people on this team that need a foot up their ..... It would be a huge wake up call to put Jason Snelling in the strating line up this week. He seems to be running angry. The OL also needs get on the ball. Turner had one really good running play, toss sweep to the right, he was patient and OL did its job.

Let's Go guys lets light up the town of New Orleans on Monday

I always enjoy reading your posts as you leave as much emotion out of it as possible. I agree that there are several people on this team that need a foot up their ..... It would be a huge wake up call to put Jason Snelling in the strating line up this week. He seems to be running angry. The OL also needs get on the ball. Turner had one really good running play, toss sweep to the right, he was patient and OL did its job.

Let's Go guys lets light up the town of New Orleans on Monday

I was going to also use that play as a postivie example of Turner following the play. I believe the reason he was successfull on that play because it was the first "pure" sweep we have run with Turner, I believe, All season. I believe we need to do that more with him to "Unclog" the middle of the defense. This will help his inside running.

Thanks for the Props man and glad you enjoy.

Key to the game.

Not to mention that I believe the Saints LT is a backup. I think their starter went down before the season started?

Good stuff OP. In regards to Turner I was wondering what you thought about the cut backs. I've mentioned it a couple of times and haven't had much of a response. Turner seems to be running better on dives b/c he can build up his momentum. We all know it takes him a bit to get going and he seems to be slower this year on the cut back so I was thinking we should simply pound the rock with Turner and not get to fancy. Not sure if it's Turner or blocking scheme to blame for this.

Good stuff OP. In regards to Turner I was wondering what you thought about the cut backs. I've mentioned it a couple of times and haven't had much of a response. Turner seems to be running better on dives b/c he can build up his momentum. We all know it takes him a bit to get going and he seems to be slower this year on the cut back so I was thinking we should simply pound the rock with Turner and not get to fancy. Not sure if it's Turner or blocking scheme to blame for this.

CSD, I have been screaming for turner to "maintain front side" because this will set the cut back up later in the game. The dives seem to work, because he can get that full head of steam, but he continually is slow to the line. Some of that is because our OL has done a very poor job of run blocking. I believe we attack the NO defense with Power football. I think if we hit that Defense in the mouth, and keep hitting them in the mouth, they will wear down. We need to do the same on the deffensive side of the ball. I still believe NO is a finesse team that has some added power, but with their Fullback out, I don't see a lot of power I formations that they will run out of.

We need Ovie back in a bad way.