worst case scenario for mid point of the season is 5-3

falconidae

Folks, Washington isn't winning in the dome, that means the falcons will be , at worst, 5-3 halfway through the season, with a much easier slate of games in the second half.

While there's still a chance for 6-2, I'm not banking on it, so,

At the start of the season, would you have been happy with a 5-3 record after eight games?

Folks, Washington isn't winning in the dome, that means the falcons will be , at worst, 5-3 halfway through the season, with a much easier slate of games in the second half.

At the start of the season, would you have been happy with a 5-3 record after eight games?

heck no....6-2 is a must

Yes. I was looking at our first 3 games (MIA, CAR, @NE) and thinking how happy I'd be if we could get 2 Ws. Remember, last season all 3 of those teams won at least 11 games, and CAR looked dominant while going 12-4. Then we travel cross country to SF, get CHI after a bye, play Dallas in TX after they have a bye, and go into the Superdome with a secondary that was known to be suspect. Also, Washington looked great in the preseason and I didn't see that game as a gimme either. All in all going 5-3 with our sched would've meant that we are legit and headed towards a winning season.

By the way, anything can happen in both of the next two weeks. I wouldn't assume we lose in NOLA and I won't assume we beat WAS.

Finally, a voice of reason. Yes!!!

How soon everyone forgets that when the schedule was published, we all knew it would be a tough season. Also, I cannot stand when people want to compare this season with last - we played poor teams last year. We are playing a higher caliber of teams this year....its not hard to understand why some phases of our game continue to struggle.

BTW, how long has Payton and Brees been NO? 3.5 yrs - and how long for Smith and Ryan - 1.5 yrs

We all need to settle down and keep our expectations in check.

Yes. I was looking at our first 3 games (MIA, CAR, @NE) and thinking how happy I'd be if we could get 2 Ws. Remember, last season all 3 of those teams won at least 11 games, and CAR looked dominant while going 12-4. Then we travel cross country to SF, get CHI after a bye, play Dallas in TX after they have a bye, and go into the Superdome with a secondary that was known to be suspect. Also, Washington looked great in the preseason and I didn't see that game as a gimme either. All in all going 5-3 with our sched would've meant that we are legit and headed towards a winning season.

By the way, anything can happen in both of the next two weeks. I wouldn't assume we lose in NOLA and I won't assume we beat WAS.

Thanks for the reply, I understand what you're saying about not assuming a win against WAS, but they're a pathetic team that may have a new coach and new QB when we play them. They played the first six weeks of the season against six straight winless teams and came out 2-4, their only wins came against two teams that are both 0-7.

One thing this coaching staff has done is make sure the Falcons beat up on bad teams. Washington is bad.

Thanks for the reply, I understand what you're saying about not assuming a win against WAS, but they're a pathetic team that may have a new coach and new QB when we play them. They played the first six weeks of the season against six straight winless teams and came out 2-4, their only wins came against two teams that are both 0-7.

One thing this coaching staff has done is make sure the Falcons beat up on bad teams. Washington is bad.

True. We ought to be heavily favored. The same could've been said before the Philly/Oakland game. Bad teams beat good teams every year. Not being a debby downer, just think that "any given Sunday"...

• 3 weeks later...

Falcons are indeed 5-3, after the toughest schedule in the NFC the first half of the year.

link

NFC strength of schedule: Weeks 1 through 8

Team Opp. record Opp. win pct.

Atlanta Falcons

30-19 .612

Detroit Lions

30-22 .588

San Francisco 49ers

30-22 .588

Arizona Cardinals

28-23 .549

Tampa Bay Bucs

28-23 .549

Seattle Seahawks

27-23 .540

St. Louis Rams

29-28 .509

Green Bay Packers

26-27 .491

New Orleans Saints

25-27 .481

Carolina Panthers

23-27 .460

New York Giants

26-31 .456

Chicago Bears

22-28 .440

Dallas Cowboys

21-29 .420

Minnesota Vikings

23-35 .397

Philadelphia Eagles

20-31 .392

Washington Redskins

16-35 .314

NFC strength of schedule: Weeks 9 through 17

Team Opp. record Opp. win pct.

Washington Redskins

43-22 .662

Carolina Panthers

42-24 .636

New York Giants

36-21 .632

Philadelphia Eagles

38-26 .594

Tampa Bay Bucs

38-26 .594

Dallas Cowboys

36-29 .554

Chicago Bears

36-30 .545

St. Louis Rams

30-27 .526

Detroit Lions

34-31 .523

Minnesota Vikings

28-29 .491

Green Bay Packers

28-35 .444

Atlanta Falcons

29-37 .439

Seattle Seahawks

26-40 ,394

San Francisco 49ers

25-39 .391

Arizona Cardinals

24-42 .364

New Orleans Saints

23-41 .359

And the schedule eases up considerably in the second half. Unfortunately, it also eases up for the Saints.

Barring major injury, 11-5 looks like a real possibility.

Great link. I was thinking of doing that exact thing since preseason SOS's are pointless but I also don't have that kind of free time.

I like the Eagles and Giants have a tougher schedule which is what I kept saying. As good as 3 of the 4 NFC East teams are at the midpoint every year they of course canabalize each other down the stretch and hopefully give some breathing room to the Falcons.

The only losses so far:

Patriots (6-2) AFC East Division Leader

Cowboys (6-2) NFC East Division Leader

Saints (8-0)

Great link. I was thinking of doing that exact thing since preseason SOS's are pointless but I also don't have that kind of free time.

I like the Eagles and Giants have a tougher schedule which is what I kept saying. As good as 3 of the 4 NFC East teams are at the midpoint every year they of course canabalize each other down the stretch and hopefully give some breathing room to the Falcons.

The only losses so far:

Saints (8-0)

Our only losses have come to division leaders in their house. If we keep up that trend, we should finish the season 13-3!!

The only losses so far:

Saints (8-0)

I didn't do the numbers- found it in a thread on here, it's from one of the ESPN NFL blogs.

I'm excited for this team, for this year to break the BTB curse, make it to the playoffs, win a playoff game [ or 2] and then just keep getting better.

I would have been happy with nine wins for the year so 5-3 is fine with me. Only one of our wins has been on the road though. The team seems to have a mental block playing away from man number 12. Looks like Jets and Tampa might both be a joke on the road so these next two games have hugh implications. We need to bring bad intentions into Carolina and hope that NY doesn't figure it out before we are are back home.

Finally, a voice of reason. Yes!!!

You rang? :lol: Oh, you were talking to the OP. :unsure: Nevermind. :P

Seriously, to answer the question, at the beginning of the season, I had us exactly at this point, so I feel pretty good.

I've gone on record here in one of those many "predict the schedule" threads that we would be 10-6 or 11-5 at worse. So far, the only games I've goofed on were the Chicago game (which I predicted a loss at the beginning of the season) and the Dallas game (which I predicted we'd win at the beginning of the season). To this point, this season has shaped out exactly the way I saw it from a total wins/loss perspective.

And, yes, the second half of the season looks much easier than our first half. We just need to stay undefeated at home, take one of those NY games, and keep our division record with one loss and we'll be in great shape for the division title (yes, I said it).

Edited by Voice of Reason