Big Time Players: 08 grades vs 09 grades

mc

To me our success last year was headed by Ryan, Turner, Abraham and White.

Turner

08 A+

09 F

Turner has lost his explosiveness and it doesn't appear to be coming back. No idea how or what happened but Snelling and Norwood have way better yds/carry than Turner, so blame can only go so far on the OL.

Ryan

08 A+

09 B+

Ryan biggest problem is the deep game, he does not have one this year. After being amazing in all phases last year, Ryan seems to have locked onto TG way to often. Since the Pats game TG has one low and one high db covering him and Ryan still tries to thread the ball to him. I know if 2 guys are on TG, white and/or jenkins are single covered. 3 of Ryan's int have come from trying to hit TG in double or triple coverage. TG has become more of a liability than asset.

Abraham

08 A+

09 C+

Abraham has been absent after the first game of the season. He no longer is recking havoc in the backfield and hasn't had a TO all year I believe. A far cry from last year. I want to blame it all on double teams but that hasn't been the entire truth over the last 3 games. Abraham needs to pick it up.

White

08 A+

09 B-

White went from D to B just on the 49's game alone. I do not know if TG has hurt his production b/c Ryan isn't looking his way as often or White is just not getting open. Based on the plays white has made when given chances I think TG is interfering with White getting the ball. That must stop. White is just to explosive to leave out of the game plan.

53 man team but these guys lead the way in 08 and have really struggled either completely or partially all year. To be consistent, these guys need to step up or be replaced (only turner for replacement IMHO).

Actually you are wrong on White in my opinion. He is on Pace for the same number of catches as last year 88. He is on pace for 200 less yards but he is on pace to shatter his TD's. Im sorry but 5 more TD's beats out 200 more yards any day of the week to me. So Roddy would at minimum get the same grade if not better considering he has to contend for the ball more now. he by all means should have 60+ more yards and 1 more TD if Ryan could have gotten him the ball in the 1st game of the season when he was wide open near the endzone. That would have put him on pace for 1300+ yards again and 18 td's. Which is a huge upgrade to 1380 and 7 td's

Guest The Masked Falcon

I know the title of the thread is "Big Time Players" but I would have to say that the grade that might be most important is the one for the offensive line as a unit.

I would say that last year they played really well as a unit, (perhaps overachieved) and deserved a high grade of A, a low of B+.

For this year so far I would say they have earned a high of B-, a low of C-.

They really need to pick it up if this team is going to go anywhere this year.

I know the title of the thread is "Big Time Players" but I would have to say that the grade that might be most important is the one for the offensive line as a unit.

I would say that last year they played really well as a unit, (perhaps overachieved) and deserved a high grade of A, a low of B+.

For this year so far I would say they have earned a high of B-, a low of C-.

They really need to pick it up if this team is going to go anywhere this year.

couldn't agree more.

this season:

Ryan gets a B+: His deep ball was average the last time he threw it (Ice age), his vision is excellent, his shortball is accurate, but he is overrelying on Gonzales.

Roddy white B+: his routes aren't great, but his last 4 games have been excellent.

Jenkings D: He's terrible, routes are atrocious, drops are horrid, gets little separation, and his pushoffs are noticeable.

Turner D+: I know he's got no room to run between the tackles, but he's going down with much more frequency and hasn't hit the holes hard, or ran low with his shoulders and pads like he did last season. His vision also looks questionable atm, he doesn't adjust and sometimes doesn't hit the right hole.

Harvey Dahl C: he's regressed big time since last season, he can't maintain his blocks against quality opponents.

Justin Blalock B-: he's also regressed and hasn't been what he was in the run game last season.

Gonzales A-: he's been superb, his blocking isn't that great but its passable.

Snelling B+: He's running it better than turner atm, and is more than a capable backup and at 2 positions and a threat in the passing game.

Mugheli A-: He's been a force as a blocker out of the backfield, and can catch passes.

Finneran B-: he's pushed off a couple of times, and his routes aren't the best, but I think he might have the best hands on the team, I sometimes wonder if he should start over jenkins.

those are our key players on offense ladies and gentlemen.

this season:

Ryan gets a B+: His deep ball was average the last time he threw it (Ice age), his vision is excellent, his shortball is accurate, but he is overrelying on Gonzales.

Roddy white B+: his routes aren't great, but his last 4 games have been excellent.

Jenkings D: He's terrible, routes are atrocious, drops are horrid, gets little separation, and his pushoffs are noticeable.

Turner D+: I know he's got no room to run between the tackles, but he's going down with much more frequency and hasn't hit the holes hard, or ran low with his shoulders and pads like he did last season. His vision also looks questionable atm, he doesn't adjust and sometimes doesn't hit the right hole.

Harvey Dahl C: he's regressed big time since last season, he can't maintain his blocks against quality opponents.

Justin Blalock B-: he's also regressed and hasn't been what he was in the run game last season.

Gonzales A-: he's been superb, his blocking isn't that great but its passable.

Snelling B+: He's running it better than turner atm, and is more than a capable backup and at 2 positions and a threat in the passing game.

Mugheli A-: He's been a force as a blocker out of the backfield, and can catch passes.

Finneran B-: he's pushed off a couple of times, and his routes aren't the best, but I think he might have the best hands on the team, I sometimes wonder if he should start over jenkins.

those are our key players on offense ladies and gentlemen.

Too generous IMO. You failed no one, yet the entire Offense has sucked.

Edited by Thomas Johnson

I really think its mostly scheme, and so do most football know it alls that i've talked to. We had a questionable pass in that our line got mashed in the last game, but in some games (Caronlina, NE, and bears) it seemed as if the opposing D-coord was in the huddle, because we ran very few telling plays.

Edited by osiruz

Turner

A +

D-

Ryan

B+

A-

anything less then A- is ridiculous we would have no offensive game with out him at this point

Roddy

A+

A-

I think Roddy is one of the few players to show up week in and week out for us

Jenkins

A

C-

But i think a lot of it has to be the fact that he is kind of the forgotten piece in the offense right now

John Abraham

A++

B

not as bad as people are making him out to be

Mike Smith

A+

B+

Mularkey

A+

A

BVG

A-

A+

Only player i'm

Ryan - the only drop off I see is his penchant for slow starts this year. He was never the greatest deep ball slinger and this year there aren't many KC, DET, STL, OAK, SD or GB teams on the schedule. I think Ryan is better this year. I haven't checked his stats but I bet they are much better

Turner - I watched a couple of his 08 games yesterday and didn't notice any big difference in explosiveness or reads. As I recall, even last year, when he faced some good run defenses he was shut down like he has been most of this year. I think most of his problem is the difference between the 2008 and 2009 schedule

White - a slow start but he is looking pretty good to me. I think he has improved over 2008

Oline - about the same. Still keeping Ryan fairly clean. Run blocking is just as inconsistent as it was last year. Go back and review all the 2008 games against good run defenses. No big change other than maybe Blaylock getting his as handed to him more often

Abraham - I truly believe there may be some undisclosed injury going on here. He just doesn't look as explosive.

Biermann - best Dlineman so far. Most tackles, most sacks, most QHs, fewest starts

Lofton - kinda having a beastly season so far. Improved in several areas.

DeCoud - night and day improvement over 2008. Second best defender to Lofton at this point

Coleman - hasn't handled the switch to SS as well as I would have wanted

Coverage teams - what the hail happened? They are digressing fast

What about defense?

thats a tough one I will have to say as of now:

Decoud, Anderson, T.Johnson, Lofton, and Peterson have been pleasant surprises.

Abe, babineaux, Bierman, sidbury, nicholas, and coleman are passable.

Grimes, chevis, and houston are outright terrible.

Ryan

B+

A-

anything less then A- is ridiculous we would have no offensive game with out him at this point

agree 110%

ryan doesn't have the run game around him last year, which means a lot more teams are focusing on our passing game. that makes it harder on everyone involved. imagine what our O would look like without ryan. very few qbs have the release and knowledge he has which means more sacks. without him our record is probably pretty bad right now.

as far as the deep ball i do think some of it is on him and he has looked to Tg a little bit too often at times. then again we're basically dealing with an extra safety last year and a lot less 1 v 1s in the pass game. our run game isn't the same so teams aren't always defending us with 8 in the box anymore.

To me our success last year was headed by Ryan, Turner, Abraham and White.

Turner

08 A+

09 FC+. He is still elite at the goaline and the oline is playing a bigger role in this problem then most think

Turner has lost his explosiveness and it doesn't appear to be coming back. No idea how or what happened but Snelling and Norwood have way better yds/carry than Turner, so blame can only go so far on the OL.

Ryan

08 A+B+

09 B+A-. A+ plus? really? he was not that good last year and this year his game has improved and he is keeping this offense afloat. Alot harder to play QB with a struggling run game

Ryan biggest problem is the deep game, he does not have one this year. After being amazing in all phases last year, Ryan seems to have locked onto TG way to often. Since the Pats game TG has one low and one high db covering him and Ryan still tries to thread the ball to him. I know if 2 guys are on TG, white and/or jenkins are single covered. 3 of Ryan's int have come from trying to hit TG in double or triple coverage. TG has become more of a liability than asset.

Abraham

08 A+

09 C+B. You're right, double teams havnt been the whole problem. I saw a triple team going for one play in the big D game

Abraham has been absent after the first game of the season. He no longer is recking havoc in the backfield and hasn't had a TO all year I believe. A far cry from last year. I want to blame it all on double teams but that hasn't been the entire truth over the last 3 games. Abraham needs to pick it up.

White

08 A+A

09 B-A. Come on. White was not a A+ last year and is not one this year. He is a very good sometimes inconsistent receiver and is on pace to match his numbers last year

White went from D to B just on the 49's game alone. I do not know if TG has hurt his production b/c Ryan isn't looking his way as often or White is just not getting open. Based on the plays white has made when given chances I think TG is interfering with White getting the ball. That must stop. White is just to explosive to leave out of the game plan.

53 man team but these guys lead the way in 08 and have really struggled either completely or partially all year. To be consistent, these guys need to step up or be replaced (only turner for replacement IMHO).

At least put in the effort to get one rating right