Looking ahead to New Orleans

Carter

Seems like teams who can shut down both Turner and Gonzalez have more than a half decent chance at beating us. Dallas did it and had the personnel to man up on Roddy, who was also kept in check.

I guarantee this is going to be New Orleans' defensive gameplan against us. They seem to be playing the run a lot better this year and I think they have the personnel to mix and match up with Tony G. Their secondary also looks to be in a lot better shape, so it's gonna be interesting to see if Roddy can bail us out with some big play opportunities.

Gonna be a stiff challenge for us to match points with them, because I don't see our defense ever stopping them from scoring. Even if they get down in the red zone and it's field goals, they're gonna put up points on us. And looking at just pure match-ups, which is what football is all about from team to team, it seems like defensively the Saints match up well against us.

Our biggest biggest key to winning this game is going to be getting pressure on Brees. Without a doubt.

Yep and here's a frustrated brain dump to add to the Saints game thoughts:

Unless our D-Line can keep pressure on Brees and knock him on his back all game, he's going to feast on our cornerbacks, at will. It's almost a lock that Houston will garner at least one PI flag and get burned for multiple 3rd down completions and a couple of TD's. Sigh......

Love the Saints or hate them, one must concede that Brees is a terrific QB, and will certainly get his share of points next Monday night; however, if we can somehow regain our ability to run the ball (note to Turner....) it could be a closer game than one might expect and our Falcons could pull off the upset.

We need to cause turnovers, not commit turnovers.

We'll need Ovie back and healthy to help open holes for the run, because V. Haynes is just not that talented.

I'd like to think that our O-Line will open some holes for the run, protect Matt better than they did vs. Dallas, and give Matt some time to make plays.

I'd also like to think that the Dallas game was an aberration for Matt, and the only time where he will make as many questionable throws, trying to force something out of nothing.

Jenkins must make catches, Gonzo must find ways to get open and Roddy needs to be...Roddy!

We can win this game and stay in the hunt for the NFC South title, but we're going to need solid performance from everyone on the roster. Smitty needs to work the magic that has successfully prevented us from having back-to-back losses on his watch.

I'm just afraid of Drew Brees. Yes, I'm AFRAID of Drew Brees especially considering our terrible secondary. You can't expect to shut down their offense with a secondary that consists of Brent Grimes, Chris Houston, Chevis Jackson, etc. You just can't... Brees is too good of a quarterback, and his receivers are just bigger and overall better than our secondary. In order to win the battle between ATL D vs. NO O, the Falcons' defensive linemen and linebackers have to step up. Abraham needs to have a few good sacks, Biermann also, and Jamaal needs to continue to start dominating up the middle... the fact of the matter is, our defense is just not that good... and Brees will **** on our defense's chest.

Yeah, our defense is going to be the tale of this game. They will either get lit up like a Christmas tree or confuse and keep pressure on Brees. They are certainly capable of either one, sadly.

Our biggest problem in the secondary is we don't have a #1 corner. We have a bunch of depth guys and no #1 guy who can line up against good receivers and keep them in check. Grimes gets to me, as does Houston... they both have a lot of ability, but are not legit starters in my opinion. Chevis seems to be struggling this season for some reason, but he was just too good last year to give up on.

I'd like to think we are familiar enough with the Saints and how they work to figure out a good gameplan, but when it comes down to it we just have to go out there and execute... and yeah, it's gonna take a full team effort to pull a win out of this one. The Saints are on fire so far this year.

They showed sunday that they are not as high and mighty as they think they are and seeing as we are a better team than the dolphins, a win is not out of the question. T

That being said it will be a very very tough game in a hostile environment and are team must play perfect football. If we emerge with the W it will be a HUGE boost for our team and we will know that we can beat any team any time.

Even though we haven't been playing that great thus far on offense, I'd take the Falcons offense over the offenses the NO defense has seen so far this year.

Jets (Rookie QB), Lions(Rookie QB), Miami(1st year Starting QB), Eagles (Kolb's first start), Buffalo.

They did look good against the Giants though, but the Giants D really couldn't stop them.

As far as their offense goes, we all know that is a dangerous offense but we slowed it down last year enough to win the game. I don't see a reason why we won't do that this year. We just need our offense to play up to their hype.

Still kills me they got Brees for free... :o

Free?

I don't have a good feeling about this game. Of course a ton of that has to do with what I just saw from our team Sunday, but I can't help but think we're just going to get hammered. While they may not click on all cylinders all the time, this Saints team really doesn't have a major weakness (at least not one that has been exposed yet). Meanwhile, we've got some GLARING ones that are going to be exploited in this copycat league until we make some changes.

Free?

I don't have a good feeling about this game. Of course a ton of that has to do with what I just saw from our team Sunday, but I can't help but think we're just going to get hammered. While they may not click on all cylinders all the time, this Saints team really doesn't have a major weakness (at least not one that has been exposed yet). Meanwhile, we've got some GLARING ones that are going to be exploited in this copycat league until we make some changes.

I don't have a good feeling about it either. The Saints showed me a lot against Miami. While some folks may see it as them being exposed or shown to be beatable, I would argue that great teams find ways to win no matter what. The Saints not only won the game, but came back BIG in the 4th quarter of that game... on the road. That's scary good.

I have confidence that our coaches are going to do the best job they possibly can. Unfortunately that same confidence does not extend to every player on our defense.

Offensively I think we are very capable of protecting Ryan and giving him time to find receivers, but we have to get our running game going to keep that Saints offense off the field. That's going to be very important.

Honestly I think New Orleans' defense is a little overrated. With a solid effort in the running game, this is a very winnable game... but Turner and Snelling HAVE to get some production. Miami succeeded in using the run to set up the pass... putting up over 130 yards and 4 TDs on the ground and 200 yards passing. We'll definitely have to get the running game going to exploit their defense with play action and good routes.

I'd feel a lot better if we had last year's Michael Turner!

If we don't jump on them early like we did in SF this game could get ugly with a raucous Superdome crowd getting progressively drunker and louder.

I'd feel better if we had last year's Turner as well, but until that guy shows up we're going to have to take more shots down the field with Jenks and White. That'll keep their secondary honest, expecially if they try to load the box to stop Turner.

That's what I noticed what other teams' offenses tend do to our defense. Why can't we take a chance sometime on getting defensive penalties called on another team's defense? That may help us get out of drive- killing 3rd and long penalties, you know, the ones that seemingly start whenever we need a drive to tie or keep it close?

We need a 2nd receiver who can get open, and to throw deep. We didn't expect to be able to hold the Saints to 20 this year...we expected our offense of being capable of putting up 35 any week.

Right now, teams are crowding the short area zones and the box, thereby taking away the runs and short routes. They're shading TG and rolling toward Roddy, and not worrying about Jenkins. If we had HD still, he'd be killing one on one coverage on the 2nd corner and that defense would stop working. But until we throw deep to Roddy anyway, throw deep to Jenkins and hope for a PI, then that will be the defenses we face.

I hope the first pass is a deep pass to Jenkins to put a question in their head, and the 2nd is a screen. We need to penalize overagressive D's.

Its not just on our Defense. Our offense has to get moving and run the clock on them so they can't have the ball.

Oh absolutely, but it goes without saying really that the biggest test in this game will be on our defense.

I think it will be absolutely crucial for us to get our running game going to have any chance in this game. The longer the Saints offense stays on the sideline, the better.