Brooking: ‘It was a big game for me personally'

Ice74

"The last thing I was told by one of the Atlanta coaches was, ‘It’s a young man’s game,’ ’’ said Brooking, the Falcons’ longtime defensive leader-turned-Dallas Cowboys linebacker, with a lopsided grin. "I guess that old man can still play.’’

He might not have been the key to the Dallas defense -- he finished with two tackles -- but Brooking was surely one of the more visible players in Sunday’s 37-21 Cowboys victory. The veteran of 11 seasons with the Falcons, who signed with Dallas during the offseason, was all over the field, waving, gesturing, trash-talking and even flapping his arms like a bird. All the Cowboys relished this win, but no one had as much fun as Brooking.

And believe it or not, that reaction was toned down.

"Obviously, I get very emotional, and I didn’t want to spend too much energy too soon on that,’’ he said. "I turn 34 next week, so I’ve got to save a lot of that energy. I was trying my best to stay in control, because I have been in situations where I did get a little bit out of control, and it really spends you for the rest of the game. So I was conscious of that.

"But,’’ he added, grinning again, "I did enjoy that fourth quarter. I didn’t hold anything back. … I’m an emotional player and I was having fun. I will celebrate tonight.’’

While admitting there was a personal element to the game, Brooking was quick to say it took a back seat to a badly needed win for the Cowboys against a quality opponent.

In fact, he said, he was the last player left on the field afterward because he was apologizing to some of the Falcons’ personnel for his on-field antics.

"There are a lot of people in that organization that mean a lot to me and I will always keep in touch with,’’ he said. "Some very good friends. I was talking a little bit of trash to them, so I had to go and apologize for it. Sometimes I do get a little bit out of control.’’

That was understandable given the defense’s performance against his old team. Dallas held Michael Turner to 2.8 yards per rush while sacking usually untouchable Atlanta quarterback Matt Ryan four times.

"Atlanta prides themselves on being physical, but they didn’t outphysical us today,’’ he said. "We took it to them. We bloodied their noses, and then we stepped on them and kicked them to the ground. So that’s a good feeling.

"Obviously, it was a big game for me personally. I’d be lying if I told you it wasn’t. I don’t know if you’ve watched our games, but I didn’t change much today. I’m the same guy. I let it come naturally and act the way I always have.’’

Question???? When was this guy ever out of control for us????, except for maybe out of position on 3rd and 14

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"The last thing I was told by one of the Atlanta coaches was, ‘It’s a young man’s game,’ ’’ said Brooking, the Falcons’ longtime defensive leader-turned-Dallas Cowboys linebacker, with a lopsided grin. "I guess that old man can still play.’’

He might not have been the key to the Dallas defense -- he finished with two tackles -- but Brooking was surely one of the more visible players in Sunday’s 37-21 Cowboys victory. The veteran of 11 seasons with the Falcons, who signed with Dallas during the offseason, was all over the field, waving, gesturing, trash-talking and even flapping his arms like a bird. All the Cowboys relished this win, but no one had as much fun as Brooking.

And believe it or not, that reaction was toned down.

"Obviously, I get very emotional, and I didn’t want to spend too much energy too soon on that,’’ he said. "I turn 34 next week, so I’ve got to save a lot of that energy. I was trying my best to stay in control, because I have been in situations where I did get a little bit out of control, and it really spends you for the rest of the game. So I was conscious of that.

"But,’’ he added, grinning again, "I did enjoy that fourth quarter. I didn’t hold anything back. … I’m an emotional player and I was having fun. I will celebrate tonight.’’

While admitting there was a personal element to the game, Brooking was quick to say it took a back seat to a badly needed win for the Cowboys against a quality opponent.

In fact, he said, he was the last player left on the field afterward because he was apologizing to some of the Falcons’ personnel for his on-field antics.

"There are a lot of people in that organization that mean a lot to me and I will always keep in touch with,’’ he said. "Some very good friends. I was talking a little bit of trash to them, so I had to go and apologize for it. Sometimes I do get a little bit out of control.’’

That was understandable given the defense’s performance against his old team. Dallas held Michael Turner to 2.8 yards per rush while sacking usually untouchable Atlanta quarterback Matt Ryan four times.

"Atlanta prides themselves on being physical, but they didn’t outphysical us today,’’ he said. "We took it to them. We bloodied their noses, and then we stepped on them and kicked them to the ground. So that’s a good feeling.

"Obviously, it was a big game for me personally. I’d be lying if I told you it wasn’t. I don’t know if you’ve watched our games, but I didn’t change much today. I’m the same guy. I let it come naturally and act the way I always have.’’

Question???? When was this guy ever out of control for us????, except for maybe out of position on 3rd and 14

Answer: Yes, yes he was. And it often translated into 2 tackles per game. :)

(sorry, going to my room now...)

Actions speak louder than words and his actions spoke volumes today.

He can apologize all he wants, he was being a jerk all day.

To top it off he had all of 2 tackles. He was more of a Dallas fan than a player considering he had only 2 more tackles than anyone in the stands.

I was a HUGE fan of his, and really loved his being here. I was sad when he was let go but knew it was needed.

This is how he repays his Atlanta Fans? Good riddance. And while I never wish injury on any player, I certainly wouldnt shed a tear for him should he say...tear an MCL or something.

:lol::lol::lol: Me too. He showed his true colors and it's something I'm sure our team won't forget shall we met again.

well I think it just shows that we mae the right decision to let him go/not offer him more money, Peterson has provided more big time plays than Brooking ever did

well I think it just shows that we mae the right decision to let him go/not offer him more money, Peterson has provided more big time plays than Brooking ever did

Was never a Brooking "hater", but that last part is exceptionally true. We're 6 games in and already he's made more big plays than Brooking ever did the whole of the 2008 season.

This week is weird for me. Had to work today, so I didn't get to watch the game on tape yet. But came here, and now ya'll got me wondering "what's all the hub-bub, bub?"

Ice74 wrote: "Peterson has provided more big time plays than Brooking ever did"

I can only assume you are a recent Falcon fan if you believe that statement.

Falcon Fan since 1980

and I think that most of the fans on the boards have always said that Brooking never provided game-changing plays, plays that stick in your memory, forced fumbles, blocked passes, INT's, sacks, his impact was tackles 6-7 yards into the play

at least thats what the argument was, and I would agree, thats who he was the last couple of years with the Falcons, maybe not so much years 3-6, and I will argue you this, Peterson has made more plays in the first 6 games of this season, then Brooking did through the first 6 games of any season he played

Ice74 wrote: "Peterson has provided more big time plays than Brooking ever did"

I can only assume you are a recent Falcon fan if you believe that statement.

I will give 2001 and 2005 as good seasons for Brooking, but 2006, 2007 and 2008, they were pretty much average years, I have always felt he was an over-rated LB, but then again, who cares I'm only a fan with an opinion,

OH NO, LOOK OUT... A FAN WITH AN OPINION

Falcon Fan since 1980

and I think that most of the fans on the boards have always said that Brooking never provided game-changing plays, plays that stick in your memory, forced fumbles, blocked passes, INT's, sacks, his impact was tackles 6-7 yards into the play

at least thats what the argument was, and I would agree, thats who he was the last couple of years with the Falcons, maybe not so much years 3-6, and I will argue you this, Peterson has made more plays in the first 6 games of this season, then Brooking did through the first 6 games of any season he played

Exactly.Thats 100% true

I neve hated Brooking,but Peterson has provided more impact plays

Falcon Fan since 1980

You must have fallen asleep for a few years while KB was making five ProBowls and recording twice the number of interceptions in 11 years as a Falcon as Tuggle did in 14 years as a Falcon....but I guess you don't consider interceptions as "game-changing plays".....LMAO...and really stop with the "tackles 6-7 yards downfield" BS...it is so cliche at this point. I mean what was the rest of the defense supposedly doing if that were really the situation. LOL

Exactly.Thats 100% true

I neve hated Brooking,but Peterson has provided more impact plays

If you think that post was the "truth" and Peterson has provided more impact plays as a Falcon then one of two things is the real truth: 1) You are not very intelligent; 2) You really haven't followed Falcon football over the years. Not to mention you are lying when you say you've "neve (sic)hated Brooking". LOL

You must have fallen asleep for a few years while KB was making five ProBowls and recording twice the number of interceptions in 11 years as a Falcon as Tuggle did in 14 years as a Falcon....but I guess you don't consider interceptions as "game-changing plays".....LMAO...and really stop with the "tackles 6-7 yards downfield" BS...it is so cliche at this point. I mean what was the rest of the defense supposedly doing if that were really the situation. LOL

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm not denying he WAS a great LB for us. But it sure sounds like today, he made a real horse's azz out of himself. He could've taken the paycut and stayed here. But personally, just from what I've seen of the 09 season and Mike Peterson so far, I think I'm glad he didn't.

Cliche: something that has become overly familiar or commonplace

why do you suppose this has become cliche, was it made up just out of the blue???? or does it have some truth to it

and please, are you really comparing Brooking to Tuggle, lets run a poll right now, and see who thinks was the better Falcon.. I guarantee Tuggle wins,

also you forget Tuggle was a true middle LB. and never played OLB like Brooking did