I think we Have Success with Stopping the Run Today

Jaymadd

I do understand that Dallas has a great running game, 3 solid RBs, and a large Oline. The problem with a large oline is the fact that they are not very quick. We employ a one gap scheme with our Dlineman, which is based on quickness. WE can see success if our Dline is quick off the line and hits their gaps very quickly, like they did against Miami, 49ers, and Chicago. Dallas struggled against Tampa Bay running the ball up the middle, and Tampa uses a similiar scheme, but Dallas RB were able to get outside on tampa, so we really need our CB to step up in run support and our LB to play like they have been playing.

If our Dlineman can get of the snap quick and get caught up with the large oline that Dallas has then we will be in trouble.

Warren Sapp alluded to this during NFL Gameday.

I do understand that Dallas has a great running game, 3 solid RBs, and a large Oline. The problem with a large oline is the fact that they are not very quick. We employ a one gap scheme with our Dlineman, which is based on quickness. WE can see success if our Dline is quick off the line and hits their gaps very quickly, like they did against Miami, 49ers, and Chicago. Dallas struggled against Tampa Bay running the ball up the middle, and Tampa uses a similiar scheme, but Dallas RB were able to get outside on tampa, so we really need our CB to step up in run support and our LB to play like they have been playing.

If our Dlineman can get of the snap quick and get caught up with the large oline that Dallas has then we will be in trouble.

Warren Sapp alluded to this during NFL Gameday.

We have always focused on quickness on defense, and it sometimes works great and sometimes bites us. We got some pretty decent size/speed combination this year. I hope they have been concentrating on that 5.9 per carry average Dallas has sported up to now. Hopefully, the bulk of that has come against KC, and the other two wimpy teams they have beaten.

I agree. The eight man rotation is working but I think Sidbury takes a seat today for an additional corner and Fudge.

We will stop the run. Interesting Stat: Last Sunday against Chicago: Chauncey Davis led the team in QB pressures!

Go to profootballfocus.com to see this under week 6 defensive stats.

We have always focused on quickness on defense, and it sometimes works great and sometimes bites us. We got some pretty decent size/speed combination this year. I hope they have been concentrating on that 5.9 per carry average Dallas has sported up to now. Hopefully, the bulk of that has come against KC, and the other two wimpy teams they have beaten.

That got me to thinking, here's a little insight as to the Cowboys run game:

Week 1, against the Bucs(#31 against the run)

The Cowboys had 24 rushes for 118 yards, 4.91 average. This included a long run of 23 yards.

Week 2, against the Giants(#18 against the run)

The Cowboys had 29 rushes for 251 yards, 8.65 average. This included long runs of 35, 56, and 20 yards.

Week 3, against the Panthers(#29 against the run)

The Cowboys had 32 rushes for 212 yards, 6.6 average. This included a long run of 40 yards.

Week 4, against the Broncos(#4 against the run)

The Cowboys had 25 rushes for 74 yards, 2.96 average. This included a long run of 11 yards.

Week 5, against the Chiefs(#25 against the run)

The Cowboys had 26 rushes for 150 yards, 5.76 average. This included a long run of 36 yards.

What does this mean? The Cowboys rushing statistics are definitely padded having faced some pretty poor run defenses. They may not be as good as they come off. Unfortunately, Atlanta is #23 against the run.