My Thoughts on the CB Prospects

Jaymadd

What up my fellow Draft Experts, I come to give my 2 cents. I must give credit to Hakim for opening my eyes on drafting a CB early (Mr. Offseason too a little). I began to look at the CB Draft Propects, Srs and Jrs. I have read some information about them and I also looked at a few games on Espn 360. I think that we are looking for CB with particular skill sets to play on the outside. First i think we want speed, 2nd I believe we want ball skills, 3rd we want Cb that can come up in run support. I think that the candidate that fits this the most is Joe Haden, but he may not be available sine we will probably be picking in the later portion of the rounds. I dont like what i read about Dominque Franks having laspes of concentration and giving up big plays, we dont need that in our ever evolving Bend but Dont Break defense. I like Donovan Warren as my 3rd favorite prospect, and he will more than likely be available so he could be a viable option and we may be able to trade out of the 1st and still select him in the 2nd. I dont like Trevard Kindley(sp), he doesnt strike me as a physical CB, he has been injured, their are questions about his work ethic, especially in the weight room.

I said all of that^^^ to say that the 2nd prospect that strikes me as a CB that can fit what we are looking for is Devin McCourty out of Rutgers. I have watched all of Rutgers games except one and i have not seen him give up any big plays. He has good speed 4.4. He is excellent in run support. He has pretty good read and reacting in coverage. He has good size 5'11 190lbs. Right now he is listed as a possible 4th round draft pick. The reason why he doesnt get my attention amongst draft sites is due to the team he plays on and the conference he plays in. I really think the he might make more of a name for himself during the Senior Bowl/East West Shrine Game.

Big ups to all my fellow Draftnuts, this is just another

Day in the Mind of Jaymadd :D

You finally have come to realize it, but I have to disagree with you about Lindley.

Press Coverage is his specialty and he excels at it. He may not be the biggest as in weight, but Al Harris is very effective and they are about the same size.

I think the quality that we need in a new CB is the ability to play Man coverage at a high level and be able to be left on an island. Every scouting report that I have read has said that Lindley is GREAT in Man coverage.

That is what we need. This is the first time he has been injured in 4 years so it is hard to say he is injury prone. He also put on a few extra lbs this offseason to get up to a respectable 182 lbs.

I don't even think you have watched one minute of him actually play.

You finally have come to realize it, but I have to disagree with you about Lindley.

Press Coverage is his specialty and he excels at it. He may not be the biggest as in weight, but Al Harris is very effective and they are about the same size.

I think the quality that we need in a new CB is the ability to play Man coverage at a high level and be able to be left on an island. Every scouting report that I have read has said that Lindley is GREAT in Man coverage.

That is what we need. This is the first time he has been injured in 4 years so it is hard to say he is injury prone. He also put on a few extra lbs this offseason to get up to a respectable 182 lbs.

I don't even think you have watched one minute of him actually play.

Yeah i watched him, I saw the game against Florida and the Louiseville game. I really wanted to see him in the South Carolina game against the passing attack of South Carolina. I have read the same reports that indicate he is great in Coverage, but i have also read some of those same reports questioning his speed and whether he can be physical, not necessarily against WR in the pass, but can he get off blocks to be an impact in run support.

Ok Hakim he only put on 5lbs, he must have really work hard LOL, LOL

Yeah i watched him, I saw the game against Florida and the Louiseville game. I really wanted to see him in the South Carolina game against the passing attack of South Carolina. I have read the same reports that indicate he is great in Coverage, but i have also read some of those same reports questioning his speed and whether he can be physical, not necessarily against WR in the pass, but can he get off blocks to be an impact in run support.

Ok Hakim he only put on 5lbs, he must have really work hard LOL, LOL

Florida is a run first team (even though I didn't watch it) and Louisville didn't throw at him much.

He probably won't run a 4.3, but he won't run a 4.6 either. If you are between that 4.4-4.55 range, you are fine. He definitely isn't Chevis Jackson.

I like CBs to be physical in the run game, but in almost everybody's game, there are flaws. I don't think he will make a huge impact in the run game, but I also don't think he will be a liability.

I would much rather have my CB shutting down WRs moreso than shutting down RBs.

Florida is a run first team (even though I didn't watch it) and Louisville didn't throw at him much.

He probably won't run a 4.3, but he won't run a 4.6 either. If you are between that 4.4-4.55 range, you are fine. He definitely isn't Chevis Jackson.

I like CBs to be physical in the run game, but in almost everybody's game, there are flaws. I don't think he will make a huge impact in the run game, but I also don't think he will be a liability.

I would much rather have my CB shutting down WRs moreso than shutting down RBs.

I agree I definitely want them focusing on WR first but why not draft a CB that is just as good at both, like a Donovan Warren, who is faster than Lindley. I am trying to watch the latest game but he is still injured. Man I am telling you that McCourty is the player than can do both, dont be suprised if he goes earlier than most people anticipates after all the draft stuff is over with. The Florida game help me determine how effective he will be in the run game. I dont mind if he is not this huge tackler, but I would like the CB to possess the ability to get off the blocks of WR instead of allowing yourself to be blocked for 10 yards. If that happens too often then NFL OC wont have any problem running sweeps to that side or screens

I agree I definitely want them focusing on WR first but why not draft a CB that is just as good at both, like a Donovan Warren, who is faster than Lindley. I am trying to watch the latest game but he is still injured. Man I am telling you that McCourty is the player than can do both, dont be suprised if he goes earlier than most people anticipates after all the draft stuff is over with. The Florida game help me determine how effective he will be in the run game. I dont mind if he is not this huge tackler, but I would like the CB to possess the ability to get off the blocks of WR instead of allowing yourself to be blocked for 10 yards. If that happens too often then NFL OC wont have any problem running sweeps to that side or screens

Donovan Warren really has had trouble when he has gone up against better competition. I really was disappointed when Notre Dame came in and really threw at will. There may be one NFL WR in the entire Big Ten and that is Arrelious Benn. Other than that, Warren isn't battle tested.

Lindley faces players like Julio Jones, A.J. Green, and Brandon Lafell.

McCourty and Warren may get the job done against inferior competition, but I don't know what will happen when they face great players. Lindley faces the top competition consistently.

And the Florida Game is not a good reference to go by. They run the wackiest formations ever and he will never see those type plays in the NFL. As a DB it is hard not to get out of position because you have to guard the pass too and you never know what is going to happen until that last split second.

Those little plays that Florida Runs are extremely rare in the NFL.

Donovan Warren really has had trouble when he has gone up against better competition. I really was disappointed when Notre Dame came in and really threw at will. There may be one NFL WR in the entire Big Ten and that is Arrelious Benn. Other than that, Warren isn't battle tested.

Lindley faces players like Julio Jones, A.J. Green, and Brandon Lafell.

McCourty and Warren may get the job done against inferior competition, but I don't know what will happen when they face great players. Lindley faces the top competition consistently.

And the Florida Game is not a good reference to go by. They run the wackiest formations ever and he will never see those type plays in the NFL. As a DB it is hard not to get out of position because you have to guard the pass too and you never know what is going to happen until that last split second.

Those little plays that Florida Runs are extremely rare in the NFL.

Being blocked is being blocked especially on the outside. I understand having to diagnose whether it is a run or pass which may prevent you from just attacking the run, but once you see it is a run you must get off your block to make a play and prevent the play from getting to the outside, instead of being blocked 10 yards down the field.

I dont buy the competition stuff, if you have the talent to get to the NFL then all that competition stuff goes out of the window IMO, unless you are playing in a Division II school, look at Rodgers-Cromartie, special talent but didnt play top competition still able to make an impact in the NFL.

Being blocked is being blocked especially on the outside. I understand having to diagnose whether it is a run or pass which may prevent you from just attacking the run, but once you see it is a run you must get off your block to make a play and prevent the play from getting to the outside, instead of being blocked 10 yards down the field.

I dont buy the competition stuff, if you have the talent to get to the NFL then all that competition stuff goes out of the window IMO, unless you are playing in a Division II school, look at Rodgers-Cromartie, special talent but didnt play top competition still able to make an impact in the NFL.

It is just much different when you are playing Florida. They run that option where the RB runs across and the QB always puts the ball in his arms.

Sometimes the RB keeps it and sometimes the QB keeps it. All that is happening while a WR is running down field. Because it is so hard to tell what is going on, you can't just leave the WR. That can easily take a guy out of the play and that is why Florida is so successful.

Rodgers-Cromartie is a VERY rare case. Even guys coming from Power house schools are overwhelmed by how physical, fast, and strong the guys are in the NFL. It is just a matter of how well you translate.

Playing better competition just helps your transition. You cannot say that a player who faces guys like A.J. Green, Julio Jones, and Brandon Lafell is on the same playing field as a guy who has no prospects who will ever dress for an NFL team. All 3 of those guys are 1st round prospects.

A guy who faces future NFL prospects are more prepared imo. It doesn't mean the other players can't be successful.

I agree that Joe Haden fits what coach smith wants..... Joe Haden will be off the board by our pick so the main prospect i like is.....

Perrish Cox..... I still dont understand how this guy get over looked by so many.... This guy has shut down some of the nations best WR.

Perrish Cox is a cover 2 CB with speed..... The guy is a tackles great for a CB, a ball hawk (30 college pass deflections), tough, smart, and has a great work ethic and stays in the weight room (dude is ripped).... Perrish Cox have all the things needed to be a good cover 2 CB (can also play man)..Not only is he a good CB but the guy is also a amazing kick returner... Cox had one off the field ...Perrish was driving with a suspended license... He went to court and they found out it was a misunderstanding and all charges were dropped...

I just don't understand why this guy does not get any love here.... There are things Perrish Cox must improve on but so does Joe Haden..... Ive seen dude get abuse before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDEyXfKr5gA

Right Now.... I would not spend a 1st round pick on a CB.... I just dont see a DRC type CB in this draft... I see a couple of guys that i would take in a heart beat in the 2nd round but not anyone in the 1st round.

This could change but as of right now,.... No 1st round CB(Joe Haden is the only CB that i would think about drafting in the 1st round).... There would be so many better choice/options at other positions....

Right Now.... I would not spend a 1st round pick on a CB.... I just dont see a DRC type CB in this draft... I see a couple of guys that i would take in a heart beat in the 2nd round but not anyone in the 1st round.

This could change but as of right now,.... No 1st round CB(Joe Haden is the only CB that i would think about drafting in the 1st round).... There would be so many better choice/options at other positions....

Yeah JOe is the only CB that i would take in the 1st too, I actually think it might be best for us to trade out of the 1st unless a OLineman, RB, is on the board that we really want. Yes i said RB, a CJ Spiller would set this offense off 4 real.

I agree that Joe Haden fits what coach smith wants..... Joe Haden will be off the board by our pick so the main prospect i like is.....

Perrish Cox..... I still dont understand how this guy get over looked by so many.... This guy has shut down some of the nations best WR.

Perrish Cox is a cover 2 CB with speed..... The guy is a tackles great for a CB, a ball hawk (30 college pass deflections), tough, smart, and has a great work ethic and stays in the weight room (dude is ripped).... Perrish Cox have all the things needed to be a good cover 2 CB (can also play man)..Not only is he a good CB but the guy is also a amazing kick returner... Cox had one off the field ...Perrish was driving with a suspended license... He went to court and they found out it was a misunderstanding and all charges were dropped...

I just don't understand why this guy does not get any love here.... There are things Perrish Cox must improve on but so does Joe Haden..... Ive seen dude get abuse before

The same way you feel about Perrish Cox is the same way i feel about Devin McCourty.

i have to agree. Perrish Cox is tremendous. He is first round material, but i think you could chance him in the late 2nd. He'd be my corner to draft.

Precisely jbo. I don't think we'll be able to get Cox in round 3 anymore by a long shot. He is an early 2nd rounder for sure. He might even get into the late 1st round if he tests well and shows up in the senior bowl and in his pro day.