upgrading explosivness on this team!

hudson

As a long time falcon fan, the one thing i always thought this team needs more of is game breaking explosive players. Game changers! I think its one of the reason atl fell in love so much with mike vick. Going into next year where i feel we really need to get some players that put fear into other DC minds. Btw sitting here watching this miami/clemson game this kid cj spiller, and greg cooper are electric players!

-3rd rb which can do many things. I like snelling alot and think he can be a great back up. Kid has great hands and never seems to lose yards. I like norwood, but due to injuries and inconsistent play i think he is a spot to be upgraded. The 3rd back on this team i think needs to be more versatile. I would love a guy like leon washington, or a cj spiller out of clemson. Leon can be a legitamite rb if he has to for a game or 2 is a great returner, good 3rd down back just all around guy.

-4th Wr I know weems has done a a pretty good job this year, but if he wasnt the guy that wasnt returning punts due to harry dougalas being out, i dont think he would be on this team! I think harry really upgrades our explosivness but i really think we need another guy on this team! I know he didnt work out in the nfl but a peter warrick type.

Saftey- If you look around the nfl the teams that are good have high impact safetys. I know they tried this past year with moore but this is not something i think they can wait on. If they have the opportunity they must take another shot. worst comes worst you have 2 talented safetys if moore comes around. colmen is servicable but not high impact!

LB- Loving waht mike peterson have brought to this eam this year! Energy, fire, hard hitting, we just need a younger one of him on this team!

I think this is the year we need to really being more aggresive in FA and out more talent on this team! TD has been saving money and getting rid of bad contracts. But its time to get more all around athletes on this team and filll out the roster!

2010 NFL Free Agent Linebackers

By: Roshan Bhagat

Age as of 9/1/09

DeMarcus Ware, Dallas Cowboys (27)

After posting a 20-sack season a year ago, Ware has earned himself a contract fitting of the best defensive player in the league. The Cowboys are believed to be working an extension that would pay him as such. Ware has become the perfect 3-4 OLB with his ability to run the arc to the quarterback, protect the edge against the run, and even drop back into coverage. If somehow Ware and the Cowboys are unable to reach an extension, the Cowboys will certainly place the franchise tag on him.

Shawne Merriman, San Diego Chargers (25)

Had it not been for the injury that forced him out for the entire 2008 season, Merriman would have likely already signed an extension with the team or been on verge of doing so. Now the Chargers will have to wait to see how Merriman plays on surgically-repaired knee before putting an offer on the table. If he returns to be even 75% of the player he was prior to the surgery, he’ll get a lucrative extension, most likely incentive-based, even with Chargers spending a 1st round selection on OLB Larry English.

Karlos Dansby, Arizona Cardinals (28)

While Dansby won’t be signing a contract extension until the next year, he’s optimistic that a deal with the Cardinals will get done. Terrell Suggs changed the market when he inked a 6 year, $63 million extension with the Ravens, so Dansby could be asking for something in that price range. Over the last several years, Dansby has excelled as a playmaker with his ability to rush the passer, play the pass, finish plays, and create turnovers.

Kirk Morrison, Oakland Raiders (27)

This year will mark Morrison’s 5th (out of 5) year starting at linebacker for the Oakland Raiders. Over time, he’s developed into a machine, leading the Raiders in tackles for all three years. While the team has considered moving him to the strong side for several years, they’ve decided against it time and time again. With Morrison and Howard, the Raiders have a nice young duo that complements each other very well. I’d be surprised to see either player walk away unless frustration sets in from the team’s losing ways.

Thomas Howard, Oakland Raiders (26)

It’s quite possible that Howard may be the fastest player at his position in the NFL. His ability to cover ground has helped him become the coverage backer he is today. Still, the Raiders have been porous against the run the past two seasons finishing close to the bottom in rushing average both years. It’s tough to point all of the blame on the linebackers considering the state of Oakland’s defensive line, but Howard will need to come up stouter at the point of attack to become a better player. Even though there hasn’t been much discussion on an extension to this point, it would be shocking for Davis to let go of a player with his speed.

DeMeco Ryans, Houston Texans (25)

Ryans has been a stalwart for the Texans, displaying consistency from game-to-game and year-to-year. Under new defensive coordinator Frank Bush, the team has been experimenting with more pressure. Look for Ryans to return to rookie numbers where he recorded 3.5 sacks and up his quarterback pressures. At the beginning of training camp, Ryans stated his displeasure with the team for not rewarding his consistent play with a new contract, something the Texans failed to do with cornerback Dunta Robinson as well. Ryans would like a long-term contract with the Texans, but if the two sides can’t reach a deal, there’s a good chance he would be willing to accept a deal elsewhere.

Thomas Davis, Carolina Panthers (26)

Davis started his career on a sour note at safety, but has since converted to become a superb outside linebacker. Next to Jon Beason, the Panthers have a very nice young corps that they should be able to maintain over the next decade. He’s expected to make the move over to the weak side where he may see a jump in production playing behind Julius Peppers. Davis had his best season to date last year and may request an increase in salary if he continues to improve.

Derrick Johnson, Kansas City Chiefs (26)

Johnson has had a nice, but not spectacular career with the Chiefs after being drafted in the 1st round of the 2005 Draft. Derrick Johnson seems enthusiastic about the team’s transition to the 3-4 defense and his move to ILB. Making the switch, he won’t be nearly as clean as he was in years past. With the Chiefs’ lack of a true NT, he’ll need to shed blocks to make plays. Historically, inside linebackers making the switch to the 3-4 only have a mild success rate.

D’Qwell Jackson, Cleveland Browns (25)

The league leader in tackles (154) is in the last year of his contract set to make $640K. While contract talks are ongoing, Jackson reported to camp, looking to improve yet again. Jackson and the Browns are optimistic about a better season this year where Mangini should help improve a defense that was near the bottom of the pack last year. Don’t expect the Browns to let Jackson walk away.

The thing is, I don't pretend to know the situation with the CBA. Are teams still going to have the franchise tag to use this offseason? Some of those players will go ahead and re-sign. Then you have to figure out which of those will be tagged. I don't see Davis, Ryans, Ware, or Merriman hitting free agency. One of those two from Oakland could however. They will have to re-sign Morrison, Howard, and Seymour. I figure after trading a 1st for Seymour, they will definitely try to keep him. They're gonna have to let one of those LB's walk.

4th receiver is fine...Weems would have made this team even without HD's injury, he was on the team last year and played in offensive packages...Booker on the other hand would have never had a phone call.

We will no doubt draft LB's this coming offseason.

RB's are a dime a dozen...you can plug in any RB as long as the line can block, and run blocking plays are called.

i dont know about a dime a dozen. Theres a difference between having rb's and having productive rbs that really help you team. i mean who would think last year that amad bradshaw would be a productive player as a third rb in the giants system. Hes not just a third down back he can carry the load for long strecths when they need him to and be very productive.

And as far as the 4-1 comment, im not saying im not happy about that im just looking at the biiger and long term picture for this team. What teams really need in the playoffs and for years to come to be sucessful so we are not asking ourselves if we will have back to back winning seasons!

to be honest our biggest needs are OLB for after Peterson and maybe another CB. but other than that we will get deeper at OLine. yea you may want an Ed Reed type of safety but DeCoud has been great so far and Coleman is about as solid as they come. everybody wants a playmaker but doesnt want to grow them. patience is a virtue for a reason

plus we arent a free agency team. Peterson has another 2 serviceable years left in him. if we sign a FA OLB who do we replace. Nicholas is a good LB. Lofton. and Peterson is too valuable to this team. stop looking at the names and really think about this stuff. Yea there maybe star FA's but none are necessary when both sides of our team are solid. all we need is depth.

plus we arent a free agency team. Peterson has another 2 serviceable years left in him. if we sign a FA OLB who do we replace. Nicholas is a good LB. Lofton. and Peterson is too valuable to this team. stop looking at the names and really think about this stuff. Yea there maybe star FA's but none are necessary when both sides of our team are solid. all we need is depth.