Interesting info about Foxworth's contract offer from Falcons

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12404649/rss

The Ravens have a dominant defense.

The Ravens went 39 consecutive games without giving up a 100-yard rusher, then had two do it in back-to-back games the past two weeks. Cedric Benson went for 120 for the Bengals, followed by Adrian Peterson running for 143 Sunday for the Vikings.

It's worse than that.

Scan the NFL defensive rankings and you'll be shocked at how far down you find the Ravens: 17th.

Seventeenth?

So what's the problem?

The 100-yard games are just the tip of the problem. The biggest issue is the pass defense, or lack of it -- they rank 22nd.

The Ravens gave free-agent corner Dominique Foxworth a five-year deal with $16 million in guaranteed money. It had to be a red flag when the corner-needy Atlanta Falcons would only offer him $4 million in guarantees, and he was a starter for them last season.

Foxworth and fellow corner Fabian Washington have struggled, and the safeties haven't done a great job covering for them. Washington was benched last week against Minnesota in favor of Frank Walker, who didn't play much better.

There is some concern that even free safety Ed Reed hasn't been on top of his game. The Ravens have given up 22 pass plays of 20 yards or more, tying them with the St. Louis Rams for the fifth-most big passing plays allowed.

The Ravens lost defensive coordinator Rex Ryan to the Jets, but there are enough veterans that that shouldn't matter.

But it's hard to stop anybody when your corners can't cover anyone.

This certainly isn't the same, nasty defense we've come to expect of the Ray Lewis-led group.

-----

So apparently we did offer him substantially less money guaranteed than Baltimore, but he's hardly been worth the money that they've paid him so far...

I'm pretty sure that Thomas Dimitroff offered Foxworth a 4 year deal worth about 3.5 -4 million a year....... Foxworth is not a bum but he is a little above average CB... He is not worth what most Falcons fan's wanted to give him....

I never understood why the ravens signed him anyway.... He does not fit there man scheme just like he did not fit the Broncos man scheme.... Foxworth is a zone CB

Yeah, it's good to see that we have a staff that wont blindly over pay for talent. Sometimes it is tempting to overpay when you have a need and there is nothing out there, but that's not how good teams are built. Take the lumps for a couple of years, draft well and make wise player investments.

This team is going a long way.

I'm pretty sure that Thomas Dimitroff offered Foxworth a 4 year deal worth about 3.5 -4 million a year....... Foxworth is not a bum but he is a little above average CB... He is not worth what most Falcons fan's wanted to give him....

I never understood why the ravens signed him anyway.... He does not fit there man scheme just like he did not fit the Broncos man scheme.... Foxworth is a zone CB

that's exactly what i was going to say. he's an average to below average man corner but he was a pretty good zone corner for us. the only real knock on him in our system was that he wasn't all that good vs the run.

that's what i like about chris owens. he reads and is very good vs the run...or at least he was in the preseason. he reminds me of an antoine winfield and a little bit of asante samuel.

I have watched Foxworth on DTV in just about all of his games and I have to say he is playing just as well as he played here last year, if not better. Definitely as well as Williams who was our best corner and is now on IR. Let's tally up the Foxworth stats at the end of the year and compare em to our best corners. That's a resigning TD might have blown chunks on. TD has made some gaffes folks in 2009. Trust me.

I have watched Foxworth on DTV in just about all of his games and I have to say he is playing just as well as he played here last year, if not better. Definitely as well as Williams who was our best corner and is now on IR. Let's tally up the Foxworth stats at the end of the year and compare em to our best corners. That's a resigning TD might have blown chunks on. TD has made some gaffes folks in 2009. Trust me.

Agree w/your assesment on Foxy, but not your assesment on TD, except where it relates to him. TD offered him a fair price for his skills, and I wish he would have taken it. At the beginning of the season, I thought the AFC 2009 champions would have to go thru Baltimore to get there. Their bench depth just seemed SICK! Not sure what's going on w/them now, but I think Foxy is better than he's getting credit for in this thread.

I am assigning the task in bold above to you, 1970. Would like to see that on my desk week 17. :P

Seriously? Reports out of Baltimore say different. Specificaly that he has been outplayed by a 2nd day 2009 draft pick.

Personally, I'd like to see someone brought in with more size than Foxy. A well executed fade route is nearly impossible to stop, let alone when you have undersized corners. I like the way DeCoud has looked when lined up on top of the other team's recievers. I know he's not a corner, but he may be better at that position than any of our sub par starters. Not suggesting a position move, just more of those type of defensive playcalls. CB Ramble off.

To give Foxworth a little benefit of a doubt, he moved into a new defensive scheme and doesn't have much talent around him. That said, I think this proves he wasn't worth the money the Ravens gave him though.

He is a good player, not great. Would he have helped us if he had resigned here? Yes, I believe so. But I think we learned our lesson about overpaying for players.

rofl @ them trying to blame their lack of defense on the players.....the big change would be the dcoord from last year is now HC in NY........put them in the right position to win.

Good Point DUB. But still like the article. Makes me feel better about not having him here. LOL at your boy (Sig)!!

Being as though I live in baltimore I get to see him every week and I always keep an eye on former falcons, and I have to say he's AWFUL this season he looks lost out there and has not made any IMPACT PLAYS for them. He gets picked on just as much as Houston and he gets beat just as bad, he doesn't have to turn his head around because the guys just blazes past him like he standing still. I'm glad we didn't pay him

Why didn't they pay Brian Williams and Foxworth the 16M guaranteed? They were both decent corners not great. I think some people lose perspective when they are compared to a cast of developing or bad players.

At 16M they are pretty much committed to Foxworth for at least the next 3 or 4 years. The Al Davis and Dan Snyder philosophy is to throw money at whatever they think they need. That philosophy has seemed to cripple both of these teams for years.

At 16M they are pretty much committed to Foxworth for at least the next 3 or 4 years. The Al Davis and Dan Snyder philosophy is to throw money at whatever they think they need. That philosophy has seemed to cripple both of these teams for years.

I don't know why more of our fans and message boarders haven't figured this one out yet. They want to run out and overspend every offseason for the flashy "names" in free agency, which only guarantees you will overspend. It also provides no consistency which messes up team chemistry.

Every year the Redskins go out and gobble up the biggest names in free agency (Haynesworth 2009, D Hall and Jason Taylor 2008, Adam Archuleta, Marcus Washington, Jeremiah Trotter, Jesse Armstead, Dana Stubblefield, Andre Carter, Cornelius Griffin, Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith) and what has it got them? Two, yes TWO, 9+ win seasons in the last TEN years. That means for the millions they've blown on big names they've gotten 8 of the last 10 years at .500 or worse.

The Raiders are the same way. They spent nearly $100 million on free agent contracts in 08 and it has gotten them what exactly?

Overpaying for average players just makes it harder for you to sign (or re-sign) real talent.... which holds your team back.

that's what i like about chris owens. he reads and is very good vs the run...or at least he was in the preseason. he reminds me of an antoine winfield and a little bit of asante samuel.

Speaking of Owens, it would be nice to see some of him as the season goes on as well. Maybe he will be next years DeCoud as far as being used little this year and then emerging to play well for us next year.

Do you guys really think an entire secondary just disappears overnight?

The main thing is that Terrell Suggs hasn't been playing well lately, and their defense lives or dies by his play.

The same thing we saw with San Diego when Merriman was out.

The Ravens for some reason have been playing alot of 4-3 base, which I'm not really sure they have the personnel for.

Suggs seems to do a better job starting his plays upright.

Edited by Dr. Zanzibar