The wait is over Falcons fans

KingJBaby

Article by D. Cox

('From the Examiner's Desk' is a weekly first-person column from Atlanta Falcons Examiner Daniel Cox, discussing something from the Falcons that's catching his eye.)

Let's be honest here. There are a lot of fan bases out there that have suffered quite a bit.

Cleveland comes to mind. But they've got LeBron now and that's at least something.

Chicago? Don't give me that. Six NBA Championships under the reign of the greatest player the world has ever seen? That's definitely not suffering.

Pittsburgh? Yes, I know about the Pirates. But the Steelers? The Penguins? Two out of three isn't bad.

Okay, Detroit may have a case. But the Pistons were relevant only a few years ago and the Tigers are touch-and-go good.

Then there's Atlanta.

Mention Atlanta and most are sure to bring up the Braves. Last time I checked, all that success was five years ago. Besides, one World Series Championship in 15 trips to the playoffs screams worst of the best to me.

The Atlanta Hawks are doing better, but I can't shake that feeling that their hanging on to their perennial fringe-playoff lives by a thread. The Thrashers? They still play in Atlanta, I think.

And then there's the Falcons--the real source of agony for sports fans in Atlanta. I'm not going to mention the dubious feat they've accomplished, or failed to accomplish, depending on how you look at the glass.

Atlanta is a football town. The other sports are here and we enjoy following them when the product is good, but there are plenty of diversions around the city. The weather's good and the restaurants improve every month; there's more than enough to do around here.

But the weekends in the south are all about football. College football is king, but Atlanta has long desired a consistently good Falcons team.

There have been those moments of teasing. It took 13 years before the fan base even saw a playoff product. 1998 was about as bad or good as it gets. Michael Vick brought some excitement and a few good seasons, but if you're like me, even during that run I couldn't help but feel it was a one-man show and little was being done to build the team the right way.

The story of Dimitroff, Smith, and Ryan has been told more than enough times. Those three guys are all very good at their jobs.

Dimitroff's got the eye for talent and the penchant for getting the right guys. Take a look at how impactful the 2008 draft class has been this season, never mind last season. You don't think the 2009 guys will take a step forward like that next season? I'll take that bet.

Wes Durham, the team's play-by-play man, told me during the offseason that he felt Mike Smith was the right person at the right time for the Falcons. I've quoted him many times. The bottom line on Smith is this: his players flat out loving playing for him. Could you want anything more from your head coach?

And Ryan's the franchise quarterback. Simply said, he's the present and the future. Another bet I'll take is that Ryan wins a Super Bowl in Atlanta before it's all said and done.

But there's a lot more to this franchise than those three guys that signal the beginning of some positive history for a change.

The Falcons have the Hall of Famers (Tony Gonzalez), and the Pro Bowlers (Turner and White), and the rising star (Ryan). But there are guys littered all over this roster that are doing their jobs and contributing every Sunday to the win.

That go-ahead touchdown on Sunday night? That wouldn't have been possible were it not for Eric Weems' clutch 62-yard return. In fact, he was doing it all night. On his three returns he averaged 39 yards per return.

Eight-year veteran linebacker Coy Wire came up with the fumble recovery on the goal line at the end of the third quarter. I called him an unsung hero a few days ago and those are the guys you want rounding out your team.

Brian Williams was brought in off the Jacksonville Jaguars discarded pile. Granted, he's out for the season, but his impact in the secondary in the five games he played is unquestioned.

Thomas Johnson was teaching high school last season. He's now the starting defensive tackle and doing a pretty nice job. The heart and soul of the defense, Mike Peterson, likes what he sees.

"He's big, he's got a big body," Peterson said after Sunday's win. "I've been on him the last few weeks to use that big body. I think he's getting comfortable out there."

How about Jamaal Anderson? Yes, how about that running-out-of-time-first-round-defensive end turned monster of a defensive tackle. Did you see how many times Anderson was in the backfield Sunday? How about the enthusiasm with which he played? That's coaching, folks-- a staff determined to find a way, any way, to maximize a player's talent.

Every player in the NFL has talent. It's up the players and coaches to wring it out. Atlanta's may have just given Anderson a new lease on his career.

Did that happen in Mora's regime? Who do you think would have been able to harness and maximize Vick's talents more? Greg Knapp or Mike Mularkey?

Sure the team has flaws and they may not even make the playoffs this season (that's not a prediction!). But the wait for a consistent winner on the football field is over. There will still be those around the country that write off the Falcons for a bit. Same old Falcons, blah, blah, blah.

But you see it every Sunday. You've seen what has been built in roughly two years.

Playoffs or not, you can count on Atlanta to be competitive and have some big games every year for the foreseeable future. That's exciting.

Falcons fans have a lot to be excited about.

I really do believe Coaching is 85% of the "winning" ability in the NFL. If you have a bad coach, You wont win consistently (Cincinnati, Cleavland, endless teams) but if you have a great coach, he can carry a team with decent players to a winner (Patriots, Steelers)

all about coaching, and we finally have almost a full staff that is good as ****, so Im not concerned with our team having all young players, as long as they are getting the right coaching which it looks like we are.

We will never be like Mora again, come try our hardest and dominate one game against a good team, only to take a team like the Lions lightly and get beat badly in an upset. No more inconsistency. Smith wont allow it.

I agree %100 King. I'm a 51 year old ATL native and WORSHIP football in this town. I've always been a big Steve Bartkowski fan. It helps that he came to see my daughter when she was 6 months old in Scottish Rite Hospital having major surgery. I've been a Falcon and Braves fan my whole life. Don't forget my Jackets!! I haven't seen a team in all of my years that man for man has more talent and potential than these Falcons have. And you're right, there are so so many unsung heroes on this team that don't get the press they deserve. It takes a "team" to be a superbowl champion and that's what we have here FINALLY and looks like for many years to come. Thank you Lord for giving me hope for the future.

I agree %100 King. I'm a 51 year old ATL native and WORSHIP football in this town. I've always been a big Steve Bartkowski fan. It helps that he came to see my daughter when she was 6 months old in Scottish Rite Hospital having major surgery. I've been a Falcon and Braves fan my whole life. Don't forget my Jackets!! I haven't seen a team in all of my years that man for man has more talent and potential than these Falcons have. And you're right, there are so so many unsung heroes on this team that don't get the press they deserve. It takes a "team" to be a superbowl champion and that's what we have here FINALLY and looks like for many years to come. Thank you Lord for giving me hope for the future.

David,

I would love to take credit for this article...but I didn't write it. I just saw it on the web and decided to share it with you guys. I was looking for some great positive articles about our Falcons since most media outlets don't have a clue about what goes on in Atlanta (past, present, future).

How about Jamaal Anderson? Yes, how about that running-out-of-time-first-round-defensive end turned monster of a defensive tackle. Did you see how many times Anderson was in the backfield Sunday? How about the enthusiasm with which he played? That's coaching, folks-- a staff determined to find a way, any way, to maximize a player's talent.

Perhaps some spoke a little too soon when they claimed he didn't have talent to play in the NFL, moving him inside was just a desperate attempt at salvaging a bust, and blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

The revisionists will show up with all their altered arguments, but as time goes on it is looking like they were simply wrong in calling JA98 a bust(and will never admit it).

Chuck Smith saw this talent, the coaches and GM saw it.....only the haters were blind to it.

Bottom line, a bust doesn't start every game in his 3rd season and get called "a monster of a DT". The fact is, JA98 has been in the backfield a lot this year, despite the haters claiming otherwise.

Perhaps some spoke a little too soon when they claimed he didn't have talent to play in the NFL, moving him inside was just a desperate attempt at salvaging a bust, and blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

The revisionists will show up with all their altered arguments, but as time goes on it is looking like they were simply wrong in calling JA98 a bust(and will never admit it).

Chuck Smith saw this talent, the coaches and GM saw it.....only the haters were blind to it.

Bottom line, a bust doesn't start every game in his 3rd season and get called "a monster of a DT". The fact is, JA98 has been in the backfield a lot this year, despite the haters claiming otherwise.

Good post Gazoo. I've never called any player a bust and probably never will. I'm a firm believer in coaching, schemes, and how player react to coaching and schemes. People forget how young JA98 is. People also tend to place players in boxes and label such as DE only or DT tackle only. Our coaching staff if stocked full of experience and critical thinkers. When it all comes together, the naysayers are proven wrong. Now, it's only been two games, but I've definitely noticed Anderson's enthusiasm. That is coaching!

"How about Jamaal Anderson? Yes, how about that running-out-of-time-first-round-defensive end turned monster of a defensive tackle. Did you see how many times Anderson was in the backfield Sunday? How about the enthusiasm with which he played? That's coaching, folks-- a staff determined to find a way, any way, to maximize a player's talent."

Oh my goodness. Reading this really made my day.

I'm glad for Anderson. Jerry, Anderson, Johnson, and Babs. For once it's looking like he have a lot of depth at DT :).

Well I guess you were right about JA98. He has been looking good out there. He is great at DT. I was a doubter, but knew he had talent . Glad they finally found it. One question for you? You aren't JA98 are you???

Great freaking article! The way this franchise has been turned around is amazing from top to bottom. The atmosphere has been totally transformed and I luv it. The one guy I'm really rooting for more now is JA98. I know he has taken a beating (and mostly rightfully so) here on this board, but if this move to DT makes him more productive than it would be just one more sign that this could possibly be the best combination of F.O. and coaching staff we may ever have seen here or will see for some time in this town ever... :D

Totally agree Gazoo. Anyone watching Jamal could see the man is huge and has a nasty push. DE is a position that requires alot of skill moves to become good. Jamal was learning, but its nice to see him use his vertical quickness and get in and cause trouble. He'll flush the QB out, right into Abe, or KRoy's arms.

I don't think there can be any doubt that this is the best Ownership/Management/Coaching trifecta we have ever had in Atlanta. No way you can deny it. Put the right pieces together, and good things happen. I think this franchise has turned the corner. I still think we are a year removed from Dominance though. We have a hole or two that will be addressed. And then, watch out........

Article by D. Cox

('From the Examiner's Desk' is a weekly first-person column from Atlanta Falcons Examiner Daniel Cox, discussing something from the Falcons that's catching his eye.)

Let's be honest here. There are a lot of fan bases out there that have suffered quite a bit.

Cleveland comes to mind. But they've got LeBron now and that's at least something.

Chicago? Don't give me that. Six NBA Championships under the reign of the greatest player the world has ever seen? That's definitely not suffering.

Pittsburgh? Yes, I know about the Pirates. But the Steelers? The Penguins? Two out of three isn't bad.

Okay, Detroit may have a case. But the Pistons were relevant only a few years ago and the Tigers are touch-and-go good.

Then there's Atlanta.

Mention Atlanta and most are sure to bring up the Braves. Last time I checked, all that success was five years ago. Besides, one World Series Championship in 15 trips to the playoffs screams worst of the best to me.

The Atlanta Hawks are doing better, but I can't shake that feeling that their hanging on to their perennial fringe-playoff lives by a thread. The Thrashers? They still play in Atlanta, I think.

And then there's the Falcons--the real source of agony for sports fans in Atlanta. I'm not going to mention the dubious feat they've accomplished, or failed to accomplish, depending on how you look at the glass.

Atlanta is a football town. The other sports are here and we enjoy following them when the product is good, but there are plenty of diversions around the city. The weather's good and the restaurants improve every month; there's more than enough to do around here.

But the weekends in the south are all about football. College football is king, but Atlanta has long desired a consistently good Falcons team.

There have been those moments of teasing. It took 13 years before the fan base even saw a playoff product. 1998 was about as bad or good as it gets. Michael Vick brought some excitement and a few good seasons, but if you're like me, even during that run I couldn't help but feel it was a one-man show and little was being done to build the team the right way.

The story of Dimitroff, Smith, and Ryan has been told more than enough times. Those three guys are all very good at their jobs.

Dimitroff's got the eye for talent and the penchant for getting the right guys. Take a look at how impactful the 2008 draft class has been this season, never mind last season. You don't think the 2009 guys will take a step forward like that next season? I'll take that bet.

Wes Durham, the team's play-by-play man, told me during the offseason that he felt Mike Smith was the right person at the right time for the Falcons. I've quoted him many times. The bottom line on Smith is this: his players flat out loving playing for him. Could you want anything more from your head coach?

And Ryan's the franchise quarterback. Simply said, he's the present and the future. Another bet I'll take is that Ryan wins a Super Bowl in Atlanta before it's all said and done.

But there's a lot more to this franchise than those three guys that signal the beginning of some positive history for a change.

The Falcons have the Hall of Famers (Tony Gonzalez), and the Pro Bowlers (Turner and White), and the rising star (Ryan). But there are guys littered all over this roster that are doing their jobs and contributing every Sunday to the win.

That go-ahead touchdown on Sunday night? That wouldn't have been possible were it not for Eric Weems' clutch 62-yard return. In fact, he was doing it all night. On his three returns he averaged 39 yards per return.

Eight-year veteran linebacker Coy Wire came up with the fumble recovery on the goal line at the end of the third quarter. I called him an unsung hero a few days ago and those are the guys you want rounding out your team.

Brian Williams was brought in off the Jacksonville Jaguars discarded pile. Granted, he's out for the season, but his impact in the secondary in the five games he played is unquestioned.

Thomas Johnson was teaching high school last season. He's now the starting defensive tackle and doing a pretty nice job. The heart and soul of the defense, Mike Peterson, likes what he sees.

"He's big, he's got a big body," Peterson said after Sunday's win. "I've been on him the last few weeks to use that big body. I think he's getting comfortable out there."

Every player in the NFL has talent. It's up the players and coaches to wring it out. Atlanta's may have just given Anderson a new lease on his career.

Did that happen in Mora's regime? Who do you think would have been able to harness and maximize Vick's talents more? Greg Knapp or Mike Mularkey?

Sure the team has flaws and they may not even make the playoffs this season (that's not a prediction!). But the wait for a consistent winner on the football field is over. There will still be those around the country that write off the Falcons for a bit. Same old Falcons, blah, blah, blah.

But you see it every Sunday. You've seen what has been built in roughly two years.

Playoffs or not, you can count on Atlanta to be competitive and have some big games every year for the foreseeable future. That's exciting.

Falcons fans have a lot to be excited about.

Fantastic article, thanks for posting it. I am happy to finally have an owner (even if it took Mr. Blank a run of "flashy moves" to learn that doesn't win much... See Price, Hartwell etc), a front office and a coaching staff who are willing to build a team the right way. We are one of the younger teams in the league and we have some fantastic talent that will be the core of this team for a long long time.

I love that we have most of our stars on offense locked up for 5-6 years (Ryan, Roddy, Turner) and our rising stars on defense (Loften, Biermann, DeCoud) are draft picks who should be around for along time as well.

I said it last week in the game thread against CHI and I'll say it again. This is the best coaching staff/FO the Falcons have had in my almost 30 years of watching the team. On the fly adjustments to what the other team was doing is something I'm not used to seeing from a Falcons team. Seeing the Bears completely confused and unable to stop what was happening to them in the 2nd qtr was a thing of beauty!

Daniel Cox is a good guy and a good writer, but it's not exactly breaking news that this is the beginning of the Falcons' glory days.

Payton you just mad that you didnt write an article this good LOL, he did add some new flavor to it with players like Peterson, Wire, Weems, Thomas Johnson.

Stop Hatin Peyton LOL :D:lol:

Wait a minute Gazoo...You have to admit that if JA98 had stayed at DE he would be out the NFL if not next year the year after...One thing you cant deny is he's the biggest bust at the DE position in the history of the NFL..He might be a very good DT but a DE he isnt, and thats what we drafted him for...