Cause for concern...

ki46dinah

So much has been made of our offensive mediocrity this season.

Our run game is shotty at best, and people have questioned our ability to pass down the field.

Lets analyze...

2008 season 1st 6 games

20 yard passes- 13

40 yard passes- 4

20 yard rushes- 7

40 yard rushes- 3

2009 1st 6 games

20 yard passes- 14

40 yard passes- 2

20 yard rushes- 2

40 yard rushes-ZERO

...thats a dramatic drop folks in 'explosive plays'. What gives?

EDITed

Edited by ki46dinah

Our run game is shotty at best, and people have questioned our ability to pass down the field.

Lets analyze...

2008 season 1st 6 games

20 yard passes- 17

40 yard passes- 5

20 yard rushes- 9

40 yard rushes- 3

2009 1st 6 games

20 yard passes- 14

40 yard passes- 2

20 yard rushes- 2

40 yard rushes-ZERO

Shoddy*

we haven't played the lions or chiefs this year.

BUT

i'm not worried though because i still like our O against any D in the league. sometimes units start off slow. if i'm not mistaken the colts started off pretty slow in 08 and the saints in 07. i think we'll get it going though. we don't have any selfish guys and they all are hard workers.

1 September 7, 2008 1:05 p.m. (ET) Detroit Lions W 34-21 Georgia Dome - Atlanta, Georgia Fox Recap

2 September 14, 2008 4:05 p.m. at Tampa Bay Buccaneers L 24-9 Raymond James Stadium - Tampa, Florida Fox Recap

3 September 21, 2008 1:05 p.m. Kansas City Chiefs W 38-14 Georgia Dome - Atlanta, Georgia CBS Recap

4 September 28, 2008 1:05 p.m. at Carolina Panthers L 24-9 Bank of America Stadium - Charlotte, North Carolina Fox Recap

5 October 5, 2008 1:05 p.m. at Green Bay Packers W 27-24 Lambeau Field - Green Bay, Wisconsin Fox Recap

2009 SCHEDULE

Previous Games

Wk Date Opponent Result Record Attendance

1 Sun Sep 13, 2009 Dolphins W 19-7 1-0 67,606

2 Sun Sep 20, 2009 Panthers W 28-20 2-0 67,313

3 Sun Sep 27, 2009 @Patriots L 10-26 2-1 68,756

4 --- BYE WEEK ---

5 Sun Oct 11, 2009 @49ers W 45-10 3-1 69,732

6 Sun Oct 18, 2009 Bears W 21-14 4-1 68,082

stats are over rated wins are what counts agree or disagree?

I meant to say shotty, not shoddy.

Really?

shotty

noun

A gauzeless pipe for smoking cannabis, more like a Vietnamese Duc Lau than a bong.

Slang name for either shotgun or buckshot.

shod·dy (shd)

adj. shod·di·er, shod·di·est

1. Made of or containing inferior material.

a. Of poor quality or craft.

b. Rundown; shabby.

Which one do you think fits best?

Hint: There IS a wrong answer.

I think some responders have made good points (wins, adjustments, schedule)...wins matter more than stats; team adjustments is one reason why some stats are down. Team adjustments theirs (stop our running attack) and ours (a new weapon on offense-Tony G that makes the offense run a little differently. I would like to see the increase catches/yardage by TE this year over last years. Lastley we have a tougher schedule this year than lat year.

We were 3-2 after 5 games last year. We are 4-1 so far in 2009, playing 4 teams that made the playoffs last year. At this point I'm not really that concerned at all.

We are 4-1. Be happy. Why must everyone be so negative?

I dont remember being negative, I was just stating a fact...and facts are that our offense is not producing many big plays and I asked why that might be the case.

I enjoy how people are putting words into my mouth today...

The whole excuse of 'good defenses this year' hasn't stopped a lot of other teams. Peterson, Jone-Drew, Benson, and more have been able to have big games against good-great defenses.

Turner is a great back, but our o-line can't run block and honestly don't pass block that well. If Ryan had another second or two we could go deep more.

We are playing higher caliber teams from last year and I'm pretty sure that teams spent the 08 off season scheming up ways to stop Turner and Ryan. All of these things factor in as to why we aren't playing as well as we did last season. But hey, we are still doing an excellent job considering our schedule and the lack of a solid run game and injuries.

The whole excuse of 'good defenses this year' hasn't stopped a lot of other teams. Peterson, Jone-Drew, Benson, and more have been able to have big games against good-great defenses.

Turner is a great back, but our o-line can't run block and honestly don't pass block that well. If Ryan had another second or two we could go deep more.

Naw, I disagree on this one. The chemistry of our ENTIRE team has changed DRAMATICALLY, and therefore a change in dynamics is inevitable. Just like our team needed time to gel last season, so it is this season. Give it time, you'll see!

We are playing higher caliber teams from last year and I'm pretty sure that teams spent the 08 off season scheming up ways to stop Turner and Ryan. All of these things factor in as to why we aren't playing as well as we did last season. But hey, we are still doing an excellent job considering our schedule and the lack of a solid run game and injuries.

Thats a very real tipping point...I think we will be OK with the players we have now, but we cant afford to sustain too many more hits.

LB, TE, and maybe WR are about the only spots we can afford to lose another player at.

DB, no

OL, no no

DL, no no

neither of those definitions of shotty were the ones I was attempting to use, thanks for the insight though

Care to elaborate then? I was just giving you a hard time, but since you refuse to admit this SMALL mistake, I want to know what the **** you were actually talking about?

Lets analyze...

2008 season 1st 6 games

20 yard passes- 13

40 yard passes- 4

20 yard rushes- 7

40 yard rushes- 3

2009 1st 6 games

20 yard passes- 14

40 yard passes- 2

20 yard rushes- 2

40 yard rushes-ZERO

EDITed

I think that this has been beat to death, but the lack of a running game has this offense pinned down.

...and the lack of big plays continues...it still doesnt look like we are going down the field often/at all, and the running game is grinding to a halt

maybe Norwood is more important to this team than people let on?

I dont know

I tink Norwood's absense is huge. But this is Norwood we are talking about, so it should not come as a shock that he stays injured.

Smith said Snelling was going to play a bigger role in the offesne this week. Lets hope he can provide a spark.