A different approach this week?

Rock Howard

The Falcons clearly have more overall talent than the Cowboys, but the Atlanta OL and DL will likely be out-physicaled by Dallas. Therefore imposing our will on the Cowboys at the point of attack will be difficult. In fact attempting to go toe to toe with the Cowboys in a "grind it out" style game seems to me to play into Dallas's strength.

Dallas is uneven in their skill positions on offense and their defensive secondary has been quite weak. Therefore in my view Atlanta would actually prefer a wide open game to a tough ball control battle. If the Falcons can expose the Dallas pass coverage and score some easy early TDs, then that may force Dallas to play more wide open themselves which means relying more on the mistake prone Romo to keep them in the game. With luck things can snowball ala the 49ers.

Now I am not suggesting abandoning the "balanced attack" as the Falcons are clearly more effective when they are two dimensional on offense. All I am saying is to take more shots down the field early as well as stay on the lookout for short isolation passes that get Roddy, TonyG and Turner a chance to make a catch, break a tackle and turn it into a big play when they get man coverage. Dallas plays more man to man coverage than most NFL teams and if they stay true to that pattern, we should be able to burn them a few times.

For this game I see it as less critical to win the battle in the trenches and more important to simply avoid getting dominated on the OL and DL and letting our skill players and defensive backers win the game for us.

Jenkins, Booker and/or Peele could have big games if Dallas' defensive backfield focuses on Roddy and Gonzo. Of course, they have actually catch the ball when it's thrown to them but I expect they will.

If all else fails, fake a draw on third and long and Brooking(s) will bite and leave the middle wide open for a long conversion. You know, for old times' sake.

Jenkins, Booker and/or Peele could have big games if Dallas' defensive backfield focuses on Roddy and Gonzo. Of course, they have actually catch the ball when it's thrown to them but I expect they will.

If all else fails, fake a draw on third and long and Brooking(s) will bite and leave the middle wide open for a long conversion. You know, for old times' sake.

hahahaha

On offense, we clearly have more talent. But Cowboys have some good defensive players, just poor coaching.

Witten, Roy Williams, Romo, Barber, Choice and Felix? I mean I can see arguments for either side don't get me wrong but clearly? I don't think i'd go that far. Especially in the running back area.

Of course it is clear the Falcons have more talent. Let me summarize:

Ryan > Romo

Turner > Barber

White > Williams

Gonzalez > Witten

Those are the top 4 skill positions. To me that is clear. The Cowboys make up for these comparisons a bit with their RB depth, but the disarray with the Cowboys WRs is a problem.

I agree that the Falcons' offense will turn this into a game about big plays and high point totals. Dallas fans seem to think that Newman can shut down a receiver like Roddy White. They think he did that against Steve Smith. The truth, though, is that Dallas had a safety helping Newman on Smith the entire game. They rolled their entire coverage to Smith's side every play, and Carolina's offense didn't have the playmakers to make them pay for it.

I don't know that they'll do the same to the Falcons, because the Cowboys know that Gonzalez is a tremendous tight end and I'm sure they realize that Jenkins is capable of having a big day. The thing is though, it won't matter what they do to stop our passing game. Newman will not be able to stop Roddy White by manning up on him and following him all over the field. They will not be able to stop Gonzalez without making things easy on Jenkins and White. Their pass rush has not been good so far this year, and even if they do apply decent pressure(which they probably won't), Ryan will carve them up anyway as he is actually better against the blitz.

I hope they center their defensive gameplan around stopping the run, because even if they didn't do that, they don't have what it takes to stop our passing game. I expect great stats from Matt Ryan.

Of course it is clear the Falcons have more talent. Let me summarize:

Ryan > Romo

Turner > Barber

White > Williams

Gonzalez > Witten

Those are the top 4 skill positions. To me that is clear. The Cowboys make up for these comparisons a bit with their RB depth, but the disarray with the Cowboys WRs is a problem.

This is strictly the opinion of a homerism. Turner has not had a good year. So are you basing your opinion on what these guys have done this year or in past years? Because if its past years i'd say Romo is better than Ryan for the simple fact he's done it longer. Roddy White is a better player than Roy you won't get a argument out of me. And Tony Gonzales and Witten is a toss up. But being Tony Gonzalez said that Jason Witten is the best tight end in football? I'll take his word for it lol. The talent is definately on the same level. I can see arguments for both cases but I don't see an argument of the Cowboys or the Falcons when it comes to one having "clearly" more talent than the other.

Does Dallas use all 3 backs on the field at the same time? No?...oh ok.

What does that have to do with anything? And yea when all of them were healthy they all received carries. Choice received the least but they use all 3 backs when healthy. But I was strictly comparing talent.

But being Tony Gonzalez said that Jason Witten is the best tight end in football? I'll take his word for it lol.

When did he say that? Tony recently had a widely distributed interview on NFL Network in which he said he was the best since "he had the records". Then he tempered that comment with something about being the best TE meant considering blocking.

Do you have a link?

This is strictly the opinion of a homerism. Turner has not had a good year. So are you basing your opinion on what these guys have done this year or in past years? Because if its past years i'd say Romo is better than Ryan for the simple fact he's done it longer. Roddy White is a better player than Roy you won't get a argument out of me. And Tony Gonzales and Witten is a toss up. But being Tony Gonzalez said that Jason Witten is the best tight end in football? I'll take his word for it lol. The talent is definately on the same level. I can see arguments for both cases but I don't see an argument of the Cowboys or the Falcons when it comes to one having "clearly" more talent than the other.

WTF'ever man :rolleyes:

I guess the ol saying is true..."smoke em if ya got em!"