They made me take my banner down - again!?

Delosky

So obviously I don't post often, but I do visit the boards once a day to peruse the topics and I chime in every now and then. That being said, I am a lifelong Falcons fan of 35 years and a season ticket holder since I could afford them myself in 1999. Since the 2002 season, I have been bringing my banner to the games I attend, at least 5 or 6 a season. I have to apologize for my long email, but I am absolutely shocked at what happened to me on Sunday night when I was forced to take my banner down.

It's nothing fancy. If you go to games and sit anywhere other than the endzone to the right of the Falcons bench, you've probably seen it. It's 3x5, reads "Go Birds!" with the retro logo, and hangs at section 206 (just a few sections to the left of the goal post). It violates no conduct codes according to both the Georgia Dome and Atlanta Falcons websites, and I even have in writing two emails over the last 4 seasons from Dome management explaining that there is no reason I should ever have to take it down.

Unfortunately, at least once a year, a CSC (contracted Dome Security) rep comes by my seat to ask - no wait - tell me to take down my banner. No matter how much explaining I do, no matter how many emails I show them, and regardless of how many previous games my banner has made it through before. My section even has an over/under bet going every year about which home game they will actually say something. The most frustrating thing is, they can never give me a reason that I have to take it down other than, "just because or we'll kick you out".

Why, as hard as it is to get national exposure across the country and respect throughout the league that once this team does, a very positive, fan friendly, well made banner that might happen to be seen on television gets taken down? I just don't understand. Blank and management are all about the fan experience. Shouldn't that include the ability to hang a banner as long as it is within guidelines, doesn't block any advertisements or fan views, and is positive to the Atlanta Falcons franchise?

So obviously I don't post often, but I do visit the boards once a day to peruse the topics and I chime in every now and then. That being said, I am a lifelong Falcons fan of 35 years and a season ticket holder since I could afford them myself in 1999. Since the 2002 season, I have been bringing my banner to the games I attend, at least 5 or 6 a season. I have to apologize for my long email, but I am absolutely shocked at what happened to me on Sunday night when I was forced to take my banner down.

It's nothing fancy. If you go to games and sit anywhere other than the endzone to the right of the Falcons bench, you've probably seen it. It's 3x5, reads "Go Birds!" with the retro logo, and hangs at section 206 (just a few sections to the left of the goal post). It violates no conduct codes according to both the Georgia Dome and Atlanta Falcons websites, and I even have in writing two emails over the last 4 seasons from Dome management explaining that there is no reason I should ever have to take it down.

Unfortunately, at least once a year, a CSC (contracted Dome Security) rep comes by my seat to ask - no wait - tell me to take down my banner. No matter how much explaining I do, no matter how many emails I show them, and regardless of how many previous games my banner has made it through before. My section even has an over/under bet going every year about which home game they will actually say something. The most frustrating thing is, they can never give me a reason that I have to take it down other than, "just because or we'll kick you out".

Why, as hard as it is to get national exposure across the country and respect throughout the league that once this team does, a very positive, fan friendly, well made banner that might happen to be seen on television gets taken down? I just don't understand. Blank and management are all about the fan experience. Shouldn't that include the ability to hang a banner as long as it is within guidelines, doesn't block any advertisements or fan views, and is positive to the Atlanta Falcons franchise?

amen brother

Very strange, I'd love to know the reason.

They have no reason and that is what is frustrating. I've been bringing the banner to the games for years, and the one time per season they make me take it down, they can't give me a reason. I even spoke to the head of security over a red phone in the club suite area - no luck and same B.S.

If they actually gave me a reason or cited some code of conduct somewhere that contradicted my banner, it wouldn't be a big deal, but they can't.

Hang in there man, it would seem that as hard as it is to sell out games, a measly 3 by 5 sign would be aloud as long as their were no derogatory words on it, and go birds doesn't seem to derogatory to me. what ever you do don't bail on the falcons, I'm sure sooner or later someone can find an answer for you, until then keep bringing it to the games as before. GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hang in there man, it would seem that as hard as it is to sell out games, a measly 3 by 5 sign would be aloud as long as their were no derogatory words on it, and go birds doesn't seem to derogatory to me. what ever you do don't bail on the falcons, I'm sure sooner or later someone can find an answer for you, until then keep bringing it to the games as before. GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

You gotta respect the sign. If some guy once a year comes along to act like the sign is against some nonexistent bylaw, you might as well back it up with some official looking document that is only slightly more existent than the rules preventing such sign.

You know, something that will give you a few hours of freedom in the dome.

Your best bet to get your point across is run on the field with it wrapped around your body ..

Power Happy? If you wanna watch a movie with security guards like that get "observe & report" Great movie.! hahaha

Edited by maorifalcon

They have no reason and that is what is frustrating. I've been bringing the banner to the games for years, and the one time per season they make me take it down, they can't give me a reason. I even spoke to the head of security over a red phone in the club suite area - no luck and same B.S.

If they actually gave me a reason or cited some code of conduct somewhere that contradicted my banner, it wouldn't be a big deal, but they can't.

so are you going to hang it the next game?

Here you go i found the banner policies : BANNERS

Banners can be no larger than 3' x 8' if they are being hung and 3' x 3' if they are held by hand. They can be hung only by rope or string and cannot obstruct the view of other fans or any permanent Georgia Dome signs, team signs, sponsor signs or banners. Banners must be related to the game and may not be derogatory, profane or commercial. The Falcons and Georgia Dome management reserve the right to remove banners which they deem inappropriate.

My link

Thanks for all of the replies. To clarify something - I have been forced to take my banner down in the past. But, my banner has also made it through over 20+ home games without a problem.

Unfortunately, it only happens 1 game per season. It might be home game #1. Might be home game #3. But at some point they make me take it down. Honestly, I think if this past Sunday night wasn't a primetime game, I never would've had to take it down. Regardless, I bring it to EVERY home game I attend and I attend as many as I can. My issue once again is that they are inconsistent as h3!! and never give me a reason.

Yes, I will be bringing my banner to Philly (sorry, but I had to sell my WAS and TB tickets) and I actually suspect it will fly the entire game and they won't even bother me, unless of course the game is nationally televised.

In the meantime, if anyone has any contact information, it would be appreciated. I actually had Arthur's email address at one time to send emails to but I don't have it anymore (okay, so he had people screen his emails, but it was his email address with the Falcons none-the-less).

Thanks for all of the replies. To clarify something - I have been forced to take my banner down in the past. But, my banner has also made it through over 20+ home games without a problem.

Unfortunately, it only happens 1 game per season. It might be home game #1. Might be home game #3. But at some point they make me take it down. Honestly, I think if this past Sunday night wasn't a primetime game, I never would've had to take it down. Regardless, I bring it to EVERY home game I attend and I attend as many as I can. My issue once again is that they are inconsistent as h3!! and never give me a reason.

Yes, I will be bringing my banner to Philly (sorry, but I had to sell my WAS and TB tickets) and I actually suspect it will fly the entire game and they won't even bother me, unless of course the game is nationally televised.

In the meantime, if anyone has any contact information, it would be appreciated. I actually had Arthur's email address at one time to send emails to but I don't have it anymore (okay, so he had people screen his emails, but it was his email address with the Falcons none-the-less).

Um very good chance it will be if a certain eagle is playing <_<

Banners can be no larger than 3' x 8' if they are being hung and 3' x 3' if they are held by hand. They can be hung only by rope or string and cannot obstruct the view of other fans or any permanent Georgia Dome signs, team signs, sponsor signs or banners. Banners must be related to the game and may not be derogatory, profane or commercial. The Falcons and Georgia Dome management reserve the right to remove banners which they deem inappropriate.

My link

So here are my specs:

3'x5'

Hangs from the mezzanine by string

Does not obstruct any advertisements or views of other fans

It isn't derogatory, unless you consider the phrase, "Go Birds" derogatory.

It is not commercial or inappropriate, unless I'm not suppose to use the retro logo, but they never say that is the reason I have to take it down.

dude click here for the information that will help you resolve your problem link

Also to clarify - I know a majority of the people in my section and they know me. I've been sitting there for almost 10 years. They love my banner and know the issues I've had in the past with it. It isn't a fan of an opposing team asking me to take the banner down. It is the head of security of CSC, the company that runs security for the dome.

That's the guy with the ego trip. The problem doesn't even lie with an opposing fan, who would probably appreciate the gesture of bringing a sign.

Also to clarify - I know a majority of the people in my section and they know me. I've been sitting there for almost 10 years. They love my banner and know the issues I've had in the past with it. It isn't a fan of an opposing team asking me to take the banner down. It is the head of security of CSC, the company that runs security for the dome.

That's the guy with the ego trip. The problem doesn't even lie with an opposing fan, who would probably appreciate the gesture of bringing a sign.

I was just sayin' maybe the security people were not falcon fans, but that was tongue and cheek. The Eagles game will be quite interesting as far as reactions go, however I wonder how much Vick will actually be involved in the game. Anyway, good luck keepin' the banner up. Go birds.

dude click here for the information that will help you resolve your problem link

Thanks, but I actually bring a copy of that exact webpage for proof that I can hang my banner. They just ignore it and threaten to kick me out if I don't comply.

My experiences with the yellow-shirts tell me that they have NO comprehension of customer service, there is a disconnect between the worker bees and supervision, there is a BIG disconnect between the yellow-shirt company and the Falcons organization, and they are on little power trips.

Did the Falcons assign you a STH account rep? If so, contact him/her. If not contact STH customer service. Look in your yearbook and see who in the Falcons organization is responsible for security. Yellow-shirt is nothing but a contractor.

Your biggest problem may be that yellow-shirt works for the Dome, not the Falcons.

Good luck. Fan harassment should not be tolerated.