Gonzalez Says Witten Is NFL's Best TE

Enlightened32

Gonzalez Says Witten Is NFL's Best TE

Posted by jellis at 10/21/2009 12:12 AM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

If there's anybody Jason Witten would appreciate praise from, it's Tony Gonzalez. The 33-year-old is the most accomplished tight end in league history.

Gonzalez owns the NFL's tight end records in receptions, receiving yards and touchdowns, and he's a 10-time Pro Bowler. He's the standard by which tight ends are measured.

But Witten, a five-time Pro Bowl selection in his own right, has earned Gonzalez's respect.

"Jason, in my opinion, he's the best tight end in the NFL," Gonzalez said during a conference call Wednesday. "Because his ability to catch the ball and block, a lot of people forget about that. The tight end position's not just about catching footballs. It's about going out there and opening holes as well, you're part offensive lineman, and I think Jason epitomizes that, and he's done it well for the last couple years.

"I enjoy watching him. Anytime he's on TV I'm definitely watching him . . . He's a guy that I definitely will be looking at on Sunday."

Gonzalez also said he thinks Witten has a chance to break some of the tight end records he's set during his career with the Chiefs and Falcons. Since 2006 Witten is second among league tight ends in both catches and yards, trailing only Gonzalez himself.

A sure Hall of Famer, Gonzalez acknowledged he would play at least another year, but didn't know about after that due to the league's unknown CBA future.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand where you guys are getting this from. Gonzalez is the best TE in the NFL today and ever. Lets compare career stats...wait thats not even fair. Lets compare season stats.

Tony 3 TDs 267 Yards on 23 receptions avg.

Jason 1 TD 259 Yards on 28 receptions avg.

Their both great blockers but to say Jason is the best today is just wrong.

I don't understand where you guys are getting this from. Gonzalez is the best TE in the NFL today and ever. Lets compare career stats...wait thats not even fair. Lets compare season stats.

Tony 3 TDs 267 Yards on 23 receptions avg.

Jason 1 TD 259 Yards on 28 receptions avg.

Their both great blockers but to say Jason is the best today is just wrong.

Ummmmm, those stats are skewed, but since you arent a Cowboys fan you wouldnt know that.

For the last 3 games Dallas has kept Witten in to block in the red zone instead of having him go out for passes. Stupid on the coaches part yes, but that would explain the lack of TDs. So just because the coaching staff isnt throwing his way, doesnt mean that hes not the best. Put that on the HC and OC not on Witten.

Ummmmm, those stats are skewed, but since you arent a Cowboys fan you wouldnt know that.

For the last 3 games Dallas has kept Witten in to block in the red zone instead of having him go out for passes. Stupid on the coaches part yes, but that would explain the lack of TDs. So just because the coaching staff isnt throwing his way, doesnt mean that hes not the best. Put that on the HC and OC not on Witten.

blah blah, it's not like tony g was running routes every play in the zone.

i still say tony but witten would be my 2nd choice, with gates 3rd.

BOSS, I SAID WHITTEN WAS GOOD, MAYBE GREAT.

I NEVER SAID HE WAS GREATER THAN THE ONE AND

ONLY ..... TONY GONZALEZ. LOOK UP THE WORD

"GREAT" IN YOUR DICTIONARY .... THERE'LL BE

A PICTURE OF TONY GONZALEZ BESIDE THE WORD. B)

I love it when people put Gates above Witten and Gonzo. Shows they know nothing about football. Gates is a pass catcher, thats it. TE is a position that requires you to block, sorry. Gates is far inferior to Witten and Gonzo in that respect.

Dr. Do, Cooley, really? Come on. Cooley couldnt hold Witten's jock and you know it.

"Team" being your key word, K2 still has better "stats" that the the rest...

And he'll still be putting up those "stats" longggg after Gonzo is gone?

Yeah, how old is that dude...40+? K2 was brought in to catch passes and score TDs....we already had our blocker......Michael "Skillet Hands" Clayton......

Nobody sucks forever......The Bucs will continue to build and re-emerge....