Falcons work out RB Aaron Stecker

Falcons eyeball running backs

Posted by Mike Florio on October 20, 2009 7:56 PM ET

Though safety Jamaal Fudge was signed by the Falcons to fill the roster spot created when cornerback Brian Williams (knee) landed on injured reserve, the Falcons might be thinking about adding a running back.

Four of them worked out for the Falcons on Tuesday: DeCori Birgminghan, Antone Smith, Aaron Stecker, and Kenny Watson.

The move could mean that the team is concerned about the hip flexor injury that knocked Jerious Norwood out of Sunday night's game against the Bears.

Louis Rankin RB/Kick Returner

Oakland+Raiders+v+Seattle+Seahawks+HzAk2LedD18l.jpg

would be the best Norwood Replacement ,

but the Young Rankin is sittiing on Seattle's Practice Squad,

so he would have to be activated.

Rankin rushed for 148 yards on 21 carries (a 7.0 average),

including a 72-yard run in the Raiders' preseason opener against the San Francisco 49ers.

real question is, is norwood out for an extended period of time. why would we be working out four when we already have turner, norwood, snelling, haynes, and ovie.... Five backs on the active game day list. I am in agreement. something smells funny here. Norwood could be out for a while....

I remember a couple of games that we made Aaron Stecker look like Jim Brown. He runs hard, thats all anyone could ask. Plus, if I remember right, he was fairly durable with the Saints.

If he still has gas in the tank, Stecker is a decent downhill runner. He was also a good receiver and very good at picking up blitzes.

Don't think he is an every down back, but you guys don't need one, you have Turner.

Sounds like Norwood may be sitting down for a while. If we knew he was only going to be out a week or two, wouldn't they just use Snelling and Haynes as the back-up/3rd down back? I know snelling is very important on special teams and he does double duty as Ovie's back-up, but I think he has done everything he needs to earn the back-up RB job while Norwood is out.

Stecker is 34. :unsure:

It's not really the age that does in a running back, it's the wear and tear of getting pounded. Stecker has been in the league 9 years, but he only has about 1 good season of carries (381) on his body. Besides, he would just be an insurance policy, not somebody brought in to carry the load.

It's not really the age that does in a running back, it's the wear and tear of getting pounded. Stecker has been in the league 9 years, but he only has about 1 good season of carries (381) on his body. Besides, he would just be an insurance policy, not somebody brought in to carry the load.

I hear you, it's just I really like Norwood as a 3rd down back and what he does for us in the return game.

Snelling isn't too bad either, he runs hard and catches the football well, not to mention that he contributes on ST.