ATL's bend but don't break defense..

Nolefan23

No big plays given up. When an offense is not allwed big plays they are forced to methodicaly move the ball down the field. A 10 play drive presents more opportunities for the defense to create a turnovers or the offense to make a mistake. On the times the O reaches our red zone, our scheme tightens up and there is little space for the offense to make plays. Also, when we are up at the end of the game we tend to allow one last drive while playing a prevent type of defense. That often accounts for an extra 50 - 80 yards on the stat sheet.

Honestly, with all the rule changes favoring the offense more and more, year after year, every team in the NFL is becoming a bend but don't break team defensively. Because of the way def pass int. is called these days, there are really no true shutdown CBs. DBs and LBs are scared of being fined, so they are hesitant to hit a WR or TE coming over the middle. If they try to hit the guy so he can't make the catch, they risk being flagged for it. There's been a lot of blatent holding by o-linemen that isn't being called. If a d-lineman gets knocked down and reaches out to pull down a QB by the legs, he gets called for roughing the passer rather than being rewarded for his great effort.

What do you attribute Atlanta's defense being 4th in points allowed but being 24th in yards, 21st in pass yards and 23rd in rush yards.

Good red zone defense?

The shorter the field that you need to defend is, the more effective zone defenses become. The zones tighten up and the responsibilities become less.

No big plays given up. When an offense is not allwed big plays they are forced to methodicaly move the ball down the field. A 10 play drive presents more opportunities for the defense to create a turnovers or the offense to make a mistake. On the times the O reaches our red zone, our scheme tightens up and there is little space for the offense to make plays. Also, when we are up at the end of the game we tend to allow one last drive while playing a prevent type of defense. That often accounts for an extra 50 - 80 yards on the stat sheet.

Exactly. Prevent big plays, but it means they allow some short stuff. It's interesting that last game we were hurt when we blitzed. I guess keeping guys back is working for us. ^_^

Screw Bend but don't break. Don't bend period.

That's impossible to do. I don't think any team is or has consistently been a don't bend defense.

I like our bend but don't break defense. I just read something about the Stillers in the Bowl game against the Hawks, where they gave up something like 400 yards but only 10 points.

The shorter the field that you need to defend is, the more effective zone defenses become. The zones tighten up and the responsibilities become less.

Agree. With a short field BVG is able to call plays that allow our Defense to take some chances. This seems to be our strength for some reason. I'd rather have a good red-zone defense that takes advantage of our defensive skill sets and be called a 'bend but dont break defense' than give up the big espn highlight play every week.

What do you attribute Atlanta's defense being 4th in points allowed but being 24th in yards, 21st in pass yards and 23rd in rush yards.

Good red zone defense?

Its mainly due to scheme but partly attributed to our personnel. The strength of our defense is mainly the linebacker corps with our defensive line coming in second. This allows us to do really well against the run and limit yardage on the ground somewhat and prevent most deep passing plays.

Our secondary (mainly our corners), however, has issues covering receivers on short and intermediate routes. We struggle more in man to man than zone since our safeties and linebackers are also pretty good in coverage. This means teams can focus on exploiting our corners for short/medium yardage a lot of the time to extend drives and rack up more yardage. This results in quite a few long drives against us so far this season.

The "dont break" part of "bend but dont break" really holds true with our defense. Due to our defensive scheme and the strengths of our defense, when the field shortens (red zone) we really shine. Our moderate pass rush, quality linebackers/safeties, and blitzes are great for red zone defense. Whether its forcing the opposing QB to get rid of the ball early, awesome short yardage rushing defense, disrupting routes, or solid zone coverage; they all combine to keep the other team from scoring on a high percentage of their red zone plays.

Another thing, already mentioned by GAfan, is our propensity to create turnovers on a short field (red zone). We seem to be very adept at causing fumbles and picks in this area which also helps us to be one of the better red zone defenses in the league.

I dont know how long we can maintain this level of red zone defense but I am definitely not complaining. I could care less how many yards we give up, points are what win ballgames. All these ******* quoting defensive stats based completely around yards allowed per game, to discredit our defense, are just silly.

I am betting as long as we dont lose a couple more players to injury (Lofton, Decoud, Abe) our scheme will remain effective in denying points throughout the rest of the season.

I dont know how long we can maintain this level of red zone defense but I am definitely not complaining. I could care less how many yards we give up, points are what win ballgames. All these ******* quoting defensive stats based completely around yards allowed per game, to discredit our defense, are just silly.

I still care. We lost to the Pats because we bent all over the place and could not get our offense back on the field. BdB only works if you are ahead but if you have some 3 and outs on offense you will lose TOP and the game.

I still care. We lost to the Pats because we bent all over the place and could not get our offense back on the field. BdB only works if you are ahead but if you have some 3 and outs on offense you will lose TOP and the game.

Its one game against an elite team. Defenses that are effective against the majority of teams are the schemes that are used over and over again in the NFL. Beating teams you are supposed to beat (teams worse than us) and winning against teams equal to or slightly better than us is what matters at this point. Mainly because we ARE one of the better teams in the league and not many teams are on the Pats level.

This means we are winning the majority of our games, which you SHOULD care about, with our current defensive scheme.

I dont know what sort of crazyland some people live in, but there is VERY rarely a "dont bend, dont break" defense in the NFL. A defense that gives up minimal yardage and very few points every game is extremely rare. Especially such a defense that can do it over 16 games. It requires superior personnel on the defensive line, at least one elite linebacker and safety, as well as top notch corners. Not only that, but it requires a solid scheme and defensive coordinator.

It just isnt a possibility for most teams in the NFL. When a defense like that does come along, its talked about frequently in the media and amongst fans and is very noticable. Mainly because it is so RARE.

You should care that we are 4-1 and that our defense is top ten in points allowed. Caring about yards given up as opposed to points allowed and wins is ridiculous considering the level of offense we have.

Rather than starting another thread I'll just ask in here. Which other NFC team do you see competing for the Wild Card? (Assuming the Saints win our division)

Cowboys

Eagles

Packers

Bears

49ers

Cardinals

Number 1 - I do not ASSUME the Saints win this division. I believe the Falcons win the Division - so for the Wild Card

Cowboys

Eagles

Saints

Packers

Bears

49ers

We play zone most of the time - the idea is to keep the play in front of us and only allow small gains at a time (bend) without allowing the big plays to occur (don't break). This will usually lend itself to more plays being called by the offense - more chance for a mistake.

When we get into the red zone - the field shortens and our speed and tenacity starts paying off.

I have to say that last year and this year I have seen the Falcons play some of the best redzone defense I've ever seen. I don't love that teams get that close to scoring, but it sure is fun to watch them get fired up and stop teams from scoring.

I don't remember another Falcons team that did this well in the redzone.

Keep those stops coming Falcons!

Its one game against an elite team. Defenses that are effective against the majority of teams are the schemes that are used over and over again in the NFL. Beating teams you are supposed to beat (teams worse than us) and winning against teams equal to or slightly better than us is what matters at this point. Mainly because we ARE one of the better teams in the league and not many teams are on the Pats level.

This means we are winning the majority of our games, which you SHOULD care about, with our current defensive scheme.

I dont know what sort of crazyland some people live in, but there is VERY rarely a "dont bend, dont break" defense in the NFL. A defense that gives up minimal yardage and very few points every game is extremely rare. Especially such a defense that can do it over 16 games. It requires superior personnel on the defensive line, at least one elite linebacker and safety, as well as top notch corners. Not only that, but it requires a solid scheme and defensive coordinator.

It just isnt a possibility for most teams in the NFL. When a defense like that does come along, its talked about frequently in the media and amongst fans and is very noticable. Mainly because it is so RARE.

You should care that we are 4-1 and that our defense is top ten in points allowed. Caring about yards given up as opposed to points allowed and wins is ridiculous considering the level of offense we have.

Don't get me wrong. I like what they have accomplished but I can't not care about giving up yards. When we go up against really great defenses and we fall behind letting a team march down to the redzone multiple times a game is going to kill us.